X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker in Todd Phillips’ standalone movie

So we are now going to have to movie Jokers (Jared Leto the other one) at the same time?

Confusing...
    sigpic
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Can't locate the article on that link.... but since i was there... MAN, the Yahoo homepage is so different than Bing and AOL... they actually go both sides of the political spectrum w/their click-bait.... that's refreshing.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Bravestarr
      Museum Super Collector
      • Mar 26, 2017

Phoenix
      is the right chice was never a Ledo fan his portrayel did nothing for me

Comment

• cockyhoskins
        Career Member
        • Jan 13, 2009

Ugh...

You’ve seen the man behind the masquerade. Now you get to see just what Joaquin Phoenix’s nascent clown prince of crime will look like.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

And what's so bad about that? Beats Leto by a mile. Looks like they might be setting up the movie to dovetail right into Ledger's version.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

After Heath Ledger, I always reserve my opinion until I see the movie. I can see it go either way. He's a nutty enough individual, I can see him offering a truly disturbed interpretation of the Joker. It just depends on the directors vision and where he takes it.

Comment

• huedell
                Museum Ball Eater
                • Dec 31, 2003

I never had high expectations for this Phoenix alt world choice...if for no other reason than Leto should've been given one full movie featured to see what was what... the Phoenix Joker makeup doesn't help... I mean, I'll never conjecture how a movie will do from a production picture... but from what I'm seeing and reading, it looks so much worse than this artsy-fartsy "Pagliacci-inspired" assessment is attempting to communicate.
                "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

It may not be my cup of tea, but I completely understand why they went this way. People are afraid of Clowns. Look at Pennywise's stock skyrocket. Phoenix is creepy. Clowns are creepy. It just fits. I may not like it, but I bet you this makes a ton of money.

After so many interpretations of the character, really, where else do they go with it? Not rhetorical... anybody have any concepts they'd wish to see realized on film?

Comment

• Madcap70
                    • Dec 4, 2017

See DC still does NOT get it....After Nicholson & Ledger's portrayal (Hell even Romero's 66' version) they either really don't get the character or are trying to cash in an another property by being "hip" and "What people want" easy pass

Too many people are like sheep and will "Love it" which is wrong...wow!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Madcap70
                      See DC still does NOT get it....After Nicholson & Ledger's portrayal (Hell even Romero's 66' version) they either really don't get the character or are trying to cash in an another property by being "hip" and "What people want" easy pass

Too many people are like sheep and will "Love it" which is wrong...wow!
                      wrong how? Love being told not to like something by stick in the mud types like you.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                        It may not be my cup of tea, but I completely understand why they went this way. People are afraid of Clowns. Look at Pennywise's stock skyrocket. Phoenix is creepy. Clowns are creepy. It just fits. I may not like it, but I bet you this makes a ton of money.

After so many interpretations of the character, really, where else do they go with it? Not rhetorical... anybody have any concepts they'd wish to see realized on film?
                        Too many.

And I'd love a stab at making "my" Batman/Joker for an audience.

And I think that does affect my opinions on these kinds of things.... that said, I'm up for anything.

I can even go out of my way to be objective... I surely did with Ledger's Joker which I eventually had to admit was high-quality (IM[AndManyOthers]HO).

I love the Joker character more than just about any other villain in existence...so, of course, I'm hoping to get something positive out of this "(sad? creepy?) clown" version of the Joker.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I keep thinking of the masks the Joker's gang wore in the bank robbery sequence in Dark Knight when I see the pics of the make up.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

It reminds me of Ronald McDonald.

Comment

• Madcap70
                              • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              wrong how? Love being told not to like something by stick in the mud types like you.
                              Stick in the mud?? This is not Joker why do people have to change something that doesn't need to change? Leto's Joker's was bad but you looked at him and KNEW he was The Joker this is a cheap imitation to cash in on It being so popular and being a clown instead of the Joker...Sorry but it's true...

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                              It reminds me of Ronald McDonald.
                              True see this is why this is going to fail
                              Last edited by Madcap70; Sep 22, '18, 4:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎