Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 Years of Apes… Let's Celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Obibob View Post
    I did find it amusing reading about the one guy who waxed nostalgically about seeing the movie when it first came out with his Aunt and then stopping at a store on the way home from seeing it to pick up some of the (Topps) trading cards...pretty impressive feat given that the movie was released in early 1968 and Topps didn't release their card set until the middle of 1969...just saying

I wish I could get a definitive answer as to when the movie cards were released... As you mentioned, 1969 is the date most often cited (and it's the release year mentioned in the book "Planet of the Apes-The Original Topps Trading Card Series"). But, there's a guy on an egroup I'm a member of who has stated several times they were released in '68, and the last time he mentioned it, he said he remembers having the entire set by the time he seen "Planet" for, IIRC, the second or third time in 1968.

I'd tend to go with the 1969 date, as that seems to be the date cited most often in books and other media... Fifty years on, I can see where someone might have some foggy memories.

You got an extra period in your link:

http://www.figures.com/wordpress/wp-...2/DSCN3304.jpg
    WH--? Where in blazes are we, Wall Crawler?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apes3978 View Post
    I wish I could get a definitive answer as to when the movie cards were released... As you mentioned, 1969 is the date most often cited (and it's the release year mentioned in the book "Planet of the Apes-The Original Topps Trading Card Series"). But, there's a guy on an egroup I'm a member of who has stated several times they were released in '68, and the last time he mentioned it, he said he remembers having the entire set by the time he seen "Planet" for, IIRC, the second or third time in 1968.

I'd tend to go with the 1969 date, as that seems to be the date cited most often in books and other media... Fifty years on, I can see where someone might have some foggy memories.
    Yeah, I've heard that before. It's strange in that the cards themselves sport an APJAC Productions 1967 (c) date, the movie came out in 1968, and the cards were released (supposedly) in 1969. The general consensus is 1969 since that's the date Topps says they were released. There was some thought a few years ago that perhaps there might have been a 1968 "test release" but nothing has ever shown up to support that theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mego View Post
    You got an extra period in your link:

http://www.figures.com/wordpress/wp-...2/DSCN3304.jpg
    Yeah, I see that now... Thanks for fixing it...