X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Question for the day: Did you make childhood Mego customs

Question for the day: Did you make childhood Mego customs and if so, who did you make and how?
    When I was 5, I was so desperate for FF mego figures I put Robin's trunks on Mr Spock, the boots killed the illusion. Did you get creative?

spockcustom.jpg
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I sure tried, but they were horrible. Robin into the Lone Ranger, Starsky into Two-Face. (I melted his face with my new wood-burner and painted it with model enamel. Which as we all now know, doesn't dry on vinyl.) And a few others I cant recall. I tried putting Repto wings on my Lizard.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I made a Namor too, when the 60s Marvel Super Heroes were syndicated in my area in the early 80s. I just popped Spock's head off and put it on Robin's body, with only shorts and his belt.

My Luke Duke wasn't customized, but he stood in for every Secret ID I could think of: Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson, Peter Parker, Bruce (David) Banner.

I also turned my Pocket Heroes Lex Luthor and 3.75" Luke Duke into my own multi-generational hero, Eagle Man. I made his wings and helmet out of Silly Putty each time!

Oh, and early on, I cribbed the glasses and coat from my 12" Wonder Woman (that I really didn't know what to do with) and gave them to my 8" Superman so he could be Clark Kent.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

absolutely. Buffalo bill was Alfred. I used a sharpy to make a mask on Pete Burk and he was Green lantern

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

My friend Brian's dad, Kim, pulled out the red and silver paints with which to ruin two Mego Iron Mans with: soon me and Brian had Ultraman dolls!
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

My brothers and I made tons of customs as kids! My brother painted up a Ronald McDonald and tried dying his hair black to make Salvador Sanchez and it was a hot mess. LOL
            I made an extra Kirk into Elvis with Action Jackson as Red West. We also turned an AHI Mummy into Freddy Kruger wearing a plaid Big Jim shirt. I could list a dozen more I'm sure.
            When our Stretch Armstrong busted, my brother super glued his head to a 12 inch Hulk body and painted it flesh tone. I STILL have that figure today and it remains one of my favorite toys I own.
            Customs were common place in my childhood.
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I also put Spock head on a regular body with Robin green shorts, and presto Submariner
              and being a true Trekkie, I put a Lizard head on Hulk body for a correct version Gorn.

Comment

• knight errant00
                8 Inch Action Figure
                • Nov 15, 2005

I put a CHiPs shirt and SWAT pants and boots on Aquaman to make Doc Savage. And I painted a damaged RC Batman cowl brown and yellow, used the bottom half of the damaged Batman suit and boots and made cardboard wings and a staff to craft a version of Hawkman. I still have that Doc Savage put away somewhere...

Comment

• wyatterb
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2001

I didn't have any customized Megos but my Grandmother was a a very crafty person and she made custom characters for me with cardboard and scrap fabric.

MVC-024F.JPG

Comment

• supes
                    For the love of Mego's!
                    • Jan 19, 2004

Those are awesome

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• supes
                      For the love of Mego's!
                      • Jan 19, 2004

I turned a fighting furies peg leg into Zorro

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• toothaction
                        Career Member
                        • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by wyatterb
                        I didn't have any customized Megos but my Grandmother was a a very crafty person and she made custom characters for me with cardboard and scrap fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22296[/ATTACH]
                        I'd love to see some close-ups of these -- so wonderful!
                        >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by wyatterb

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22296[/ATTACH]
                          These are really cool looking, I like how the Flash came out, a lot of love went into those
                          thanks for sharing.

Comment

• scoth70
                            Persistent Member
                            • Oct 17, 2008

as a kid the only thing I remember doing to a mego that I thought mego had missed out was one that I have seen done many times over the years

I blacked in all the lines on mego spider mans head which I thought made him look awesome until over time they all run into the rubber and made a right mess :(

Comment

• apes3978
                              Permanent Member
                              • Nov 19, 2005

I wanted a Julius from "Planet of the Apes", so I cut the sleeves off a Soldier Ape tunic, which in reality was bass ackwards because as you know, Julius' sleeveless shirt was fabric, not the leather vest part of a gorilla uniform.

Looking back, I'm sure if I would have asked, my mom probably could have sewn something up for him.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎