Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boys/Girls toys you wanted but weren't allowed to collect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I sewed, crocheted, and did latch hook which all made my dad squirm. Which makes no sense, as he's liberal as hell. I kept my Ken doll in disguise with Pulsar and my SMDM stuff. The only thing I was forbidden to have was toy guns. On several occasions I snuck and bought them at the flea market, and as soon as my parents would catch me with them they were confiscated. It bugged me to no end, but now that I am a parent I am the same way. I draw the line at day-glow Nerf.
    My friends and I ran around the neighborhood with those clicking M-16s and UZIs. No orange tips either. There's no way in the world any kid could get away with that now.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• tay666
      Career Member
      • Dec 27, 2008

My parents didn't have any real hang-ups about stuff.
      I grew up learning how to cook, clean, sew, and do my own laundry.
      My dad cooked dinner half the time anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for me to learn.
      My sister had some cool stuff that I would play with, but I personally never remember wanting any 'girls' toys.
      There were so many 'boys' toys I wanted, it never even occurred to me to want any other stuff.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        I bought the first wave of She-Ra figures, because I was so MOTU-minded at the time. After I bought them, I was kind of mortified I had at some point. They were SOOOO girly. I'm not sure even girls really wanted her all Barbied up like that, since she wasn't like that on the cartoon.
        I kind of like them.

But I do wished they looked more like the cartoon designs. Same with all the MOTU toys really. I would have preferred they made bow like the rest of the male figures, though. That did bug me.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

When I was about 8 years old, my Mego Batgirl & Daisy Duke were looked down upon by my parents... my babysitter got me the Batgirl... but I guess I should give my parents some credit for the Daisy Duke purchase?

Anyways.... one of these days I'm gonna share updated pics of my current collection... and I'd say I have quite a bit of "feminine" representation in my collection... barely no questions asked.... although.... that unicorn with the rainbow wings raises quite the eyebrow now & again.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

My Big Jims would constantly commandeer my niece's Barbie Jet

Comment

• JWLJN
              Veteran Member
              • May 7, 2013

My parents, especially my mom, liked that there were figures of female characters when I was a kid. When I was real small, maybe 3 or 4, they even bought me Barbie, Ken, and a pool when I asked for it. I only played with it a few times, but it had a little BBQ set complete with knives, forks, spoons, and Pepsi bottles and I think that's what largely appealed to me about it.

I also had She-Ra, Bow, the horse, and their version of Orko (a little yellow guy) to go with my MOTU toys. It's interesting that above the demographics of MOTU were brought up, as my girlfriend has told me how not only was she into it, but her younger sister had He-Man, Hordak, and a few others to go with her She-Ra stuff. And she had the Crystal Castle...grrr...thirty-plus-year-old jealousy. ;-)

-J\/\/
              http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Mikey
                Getting a fuzzy flashback ........

I used to have a weird hand cranked plastic knitting machine.

Resembled an Evil Knievel crank but made crocheted yard tubes ...

Never figured out why anybody would want to make crocheted yarn tubes
                That was called "Knit Magic".

File this under "Weird": Having read this thread on Friday, I was binge watching some episodes from the first season of "Halt and Catch Fire" later in the evening. One of the characters was rummaging around in the garage and there was a "Knit Magic" box sitting on one of the shelves. For some reason it grabbed my attention and I did a pause and rewind to freeze the frame. Never even heard of this toy before reading your post and there it was in a show I was watching just a few hours later. I read the name on the box and could see the toy you had described plain as day.

I snapped a picture while I had it paused. Couldn't get it to show up UN-rotated when I posted it, though.

Knit Magic.jpg
                Last edited by Makernaut; Feb 5, '18, 4:46 PM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by JWLJN
                  It's interesting that above the demographics of MOTU were brought up, as my girlfriend has told me how not only was she into it, but her younger sister had He-Man, Hordak, and a few others to go with her She-Ra stuff.
                  That's awesome.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎