Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boys/Girls toys you wanted but weren't allowed to collect?

I wasn't forbidden anything I could save up the change to pay for,* and apparently it became clear early on that Tonka Trucks got a lot more use than baby dolls. I didn't have Megos, because I wanted a Supergirl and Treasure City never stocked the girl heroes. I adored Astronaut Joe and his Mercury capsule, but a male friend brought his Joe over to play Barbies on the porch with us** and the sight of undressed Joe's metal rivets completely horrified me. Was this, I wondered, the closely guarded secret of the difference between boys and girls? But we went swimming a lot and the big kids in their tiny 70s Speedos appeared largely un-riveted. Perhaps I would never truly know.***

*Shout out to the Montgomery Ward clerk who accepted payment for Living Barbie in pennies and did not murder me.
    **His dad went CRAZY APENUTS when he found out and he was forbidden to play with us ever again.
    ***I was eventually given a set of facts of life comics that were the most 70s things ever. Love is beautiful, man.
    I have never kissed the editor of the Radio Times

Images
    Was raised by my mom and older sis's

Had ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I ever wanted

Played with my Johnny West figures by day and made hockey puck cookies in my Easy-Bake Oven the very same night

On reflection ... I really loved my childhood
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    Blog Entries
    I sewed, crocheted, and did latch hook which all made my dad squirm. Which makes no sense, as he's liberal as hell. I kept my Ken doll in disguise with Pulsar and my SMDM stuff. The only thing I was forbidden to have was toy guns. On several occasions I snuck and bought them at the flea market, and as soon as my parents would catch me with them they were confiscated. It bugged me to no end, but now that I am a parent I am the same way. I draw the line at day-glow Nerf.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phosfate View Post
    .....and the sight of undressed Joe's metal rivets completely horrified me. Was this, I wondered, the closely guarded secret of the difference between boys and girls? But we went swimming a lot and the big kids in their tiny 70s Speedos appeared largely un-riveted. Perhaps I would never truly know.
    I got a big chuckle out of this and I needed to laugh this morning, so thank you!

I played along with my sister when she wanted to break out her Strawberry Shortcake stuff. Largely because she was always a good sport about playing with Star Wars toys so I felt I owed her. I did appreciate how cool the Strawberry Shortcake line was, but I never wanted any for myself. Probably didn't even occur to me as an option because I was pretty hard-line on the "Girls Stuff" and "Boys Stuff" as far as my play, but I was never bothered by girls playing Hot Wheels, GI Joe, or being on my little league baseball team.
    Last edited by Makernaut; Feb 2, '18 at 12:15 PM.

Images
    Getting a fuzzy flashback ........

I used to have a weird hand cranked plastic knitting machine.

Resembled an Evil Knievel crank but made crocheted yard tubes ...

Never figured out why anybody would want to make crocheted yarn tubes

Images
    I sewed, crocheted, and did latch hook which all made my dad squirm. Which makes no sense, as he's liberal as hell. I kept my Ken doll in disguise with Pulsar and my SMDM stuff. The only thing I was forbidden to have was toy guns. On several occasions I snuck and bought them at the flea market, and as soon as my parents would catch me with them they were confiscated. It bugged me to no end, but now that I am a parent I am the same way. I draw the line at day-glow Nerf.
    My friends and I ran around the neighborhood with those clicking M-16s and UZIs. No orange tips either. There's no way in the world any kid could get away with that now.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

My parents didn't have any real hang-ups about stuff.
    I grew up learning how to cook, clean, sew, and do my own laundry.
    My dad cooked dinner half the time anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for me to learn.
    My sister had some cool stuff that I would play with, but I personally never remember wanting any 'girls' toys.
    There were so many 'boys' toys I wanted, it never even occurred to me to want any other stuff.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    I bought the first wave of She-Ra figures, because I was so MOTU-minded at the time. After I bought them, I was kind of mortified I had at some point. They were SOOOO girly. I'm not sure even girls really wanted her all Barbied up like that, since she wasn't like that on the cartoon.
    I kind of like them.

But I do wished they looked more like the cartoon designs. Same with all the MOTU toys really. I would have preferred they made bow like the rest of the male figures, though. That did bug me.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    When I was about 8 years old, my Mego Batgirl & Daisy Duke were looked down upon by my parents... my babysitter got me the Batgirl... but I guess I should give my parents some credit for the Daisy Duke purchase?

Anyways.... one of these days I'm gonna share updated pics of my current collection... and I'd say I have quite a bit of "feminine" representation in my collection... barely no questions asked.... although.... that unicorn with the rainbow wings raises quite the eyebrow now & again.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Images
    My Big Jims would constantly commandeer my niece's Barbie Jet