X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The PlaidStallions Sleestak Contest

Let's have our first contest of the Year, shall we?

A couple of months ago, I made a bunch of these kitchen magnets made featuring some art I did called the Gentleman Sleestak.

There really wasn't a plan in motion but I knew they'd make a fun contest prize.

So, I'm giving away five of these this weekend to some nice folks who post their reply to the PlaidStallions Facebook page or to the Forum at the MegoMuseum.

The question is: What thing scared the hell out of you as a kid that you're now kind of fascinated with as an adult?

I'll pick five names randomly from those answers and send them this plucky magnet and a mittful of PlaidStallions Trading cards.

Thanks for playing, here's to a fun weekend!

Like our Facebook Page
    Check out our Instagram

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

I really want a Gentleman Sleestak!

With that in mind, here's my story...

I don't know if everyone has these, but in the midwest we have Cicadas. Basically it seemed overnight all of my trees and anything vertical like front porch posts etc, would suddenly be covered with these tan looking creatures from another world. As a young kid, 5-6 years old who spent a lot of time outside playing, these were more than just a distraction, they were invading my home and I wanted nothing to do with them. I was pretty standoff from them from the first time I saw them. My dad was telling me all I was seeing with the shell that was left over hanging on the tree and it couldn't hurt me, but I was pretty creeped out about them.

I had a uncle that sometimes would come by, wasn't my favorite uncle, and he caught on that I was creeped out about them. He called me over and said "Hey I want to tell you something about these things." I leaned in to see what he was going to show me, and he reached down with his hand, and acted like he grabbed one of the Cicada shells off the tree and swung it towards me. My 5-6 year old reflexes weren't so good and he expected me to jump back, which I didn't do. His hand caught me in the mouth, and I fell to the ground with a busted lip. He felt terrible about it, and promptly left.

Now that I'm older I'm come to grips with the Cicadas and their shells they leave around. I've explained to my kids about them, shown them the Cicadas after they come out and even while they are emerging and they all seem to think it's cool. So I guess the real question is, was it the Cicadas that scared me, or my stupid uncle.....
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, nice contest!

The answer is easy: The Wolf Man. Yes, Lon Chaney's Larry Talbot frightened me to actual hysterics. When I was four years old, my granfather came over to our house to watch Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein, which was running on one of the local channels that day. His television was in the repair shop, and in the days before widespread VCR availability, you had to watch an old movie in real time when you had the chance, and my Pappaw was a HUGE Abbott & Costello fan.

So the family sits down to watch the movie, and we cut to London, where Larry Talbot makes a desperate phone call to the states in pursuit of the bodies of Dracula and the Frankenstein Monster. While on the phone with Lou Costello's Wilbur Gray, Talbot notices the moonlight creeping through the window. As he had done in 4 previous films, a despondent Talbot succumbs to his lycanthropic curse and transforms into a furry, snarling, foaming beast!

Something inside me broke. I lost my mind. I started screaming uncontrollably as I watched the lapse dissolve of Bud Westmore's make-up accumulate on Chaney's face. My flummoxed parents had to turn the movie off, and my grandfather, fairly old school and not very understanding of "sensitive" children, left in a semi-huff. The incident is still spoken of today, whenever Chaney or the Wolf Man comes up in conversation...

...which it does, because somewhere in my later childhood years, I began to actually LIKE these monsters! Maybe it was my friend's set of Remco Mini-Monsters. Maybe it was all of the Halloween merchandise with them on it each year. Maybe it was that one Universal Monsters trivia book I got at a Scholastic Book Fair that I can never find again on ebay. Or perhaps it was that 4th grade Halloween party where we actually WATCHED A&C Meet Frankie, and I made it through it. But for whatever reason, I became morbidly fascinated with the classic monsters, and I would eventually become a HUGE fan of those films, devouring every kernel of information I can about them. I even podcast about them every Halloween!!!

And my favorite? The Wolf Man, of course!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

That movie Island of Terror with those monsters that sucked the bones out of people. When I was a wee lad I lived in Illinois in a rural town near a highway and to me the cars on the road sounded like the noise the monsters made. For more than a while I was freaked out about getting up at night to go the restroom, I'd turn on my light, then run to the hall switch then the bathroom switch..Safe!! My dad gave me a flashlight because he was tired of seeing lights on at odd hours. I watched that movie again a few years ago and laughed.
        Last edited by thunderbolt; Jan 27, '18, 10:28 AM.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

It's 1975 and I'm 3-years-old. I'd just gotten home from some bland shopping trip or another with my dad, and I toddled over to the hulking piece of furniture that TV sets once were. I clicked the thing on, and, as the tube was warming up and the image was slowly fading in, I heard the most horrific noises coming from the giant box - these layered animal growls, two different variations, unlike I'd ever encountered. As the picture sharpened, the mysterious and shrieky rumbles continued and I could make out a vast mountain range. Next thing I knew a pair of monsters, just as tall as the pointy crags in the landscape, began to run towards me, howling and clawing! I immediately started crying and ran from the room, certain that the beasts were coming for me! My father, obviously concerned, came running to find out what the rumpus was. He managed to translate my incoherent babbles through my sobs and was soon explaining to me the very concept of cinema vs. reality - the threat of an imaginary monster on the television screen vs. the threat of an angry dog barrelling towards you from a neighbor's yard. His words and attention calmed me a bit, but I was still quite upset for the balance of the day. I'd never been so scared!

Tuned in the next day, of course, and I've been obsessed with Ultraman ever since.
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• kinostadt
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 14, 2004

Somehow, the movie The Black Hole managed to deeply disturb me as an 8 year old kid. The whole thing was much darker than I was expecting. The scene that stuck with me the most was toward the end, when Dr. Rinehart fused with Maximilian in the black hole hellscape, and Rinehart's insane eyes stared out of the robot's red metal head. Yikes! Needless to say, as an adult, that image of Maximilian standing on the craggy red rocky hellscape is something that totally fascinates me.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

A rerun of Night Gallery's "Cool Air"--my first exposure to Lovecraft. I enjoy HPL now, but when I saw that episode at age 10 or so, it really frightened me. I kept thinking about what happened in the bathroom when all the ice melted. I was so frightened, I slept in my sleeping bag on the hallway floor near my parents' room.

What's really a bizarre coincidence is I saw AIP's "Tales of Terror" around the same time (same channel!), and the Valdemar segment (with Vincent Price rising from the bed as he decomposes) reminded me of Night Gallery and scared the hell out of me all over again.

For those members from Northeast Ohio, all this was the fault of the late, truly great UHF channel 43.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bravestarr
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 26, 2017

1979 Alien Scared the hellnout me when I saw it on
                vhs in early 80s

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by drquest
                  I don't know if everyone has these, but in the midwest we have Cicadas. Basically it seemed overnight all of my trees and anything vertical like front porch posts etc, would suddenly be covered with these tan looking creatures from another world. As a young kid, 5-6 years old who spent a lot of time outside playing, these were more than just a distraction, they were invading my home and I wanted nothing to do with them. I was pretty standoff from them from the first time I saw them. My dad was telling me all I was seeing with the shell that was left over hanging on the tree and it couldn't hurt me, but I was pretty creeped out about them.
                  Oh man, when I was around seven years old, a big tree in my grandparents' backyard was covered in cicada shells one summer. To me it was like Christmas, I collected as many as I could, I knew they were just discarded skins but they looked so cool. Unfortunately they were so fragile that they didn't last long.

I guess my answer would be the film "Invasion of the Saucer Men". I saw it on TV when I was around seven or eight and it scared the crap out of me, more than any other film that I had seen on TV at that point. Now I love the look of those goofy aliens, they are among my favorite 50's film creature designs.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

Bigfoot. The area that is now Kingwood, TX. was still Big Thicket when we moved there in 66 and I saw something on TV about Bigfoot and at night I would think he was running around the empty lots of my neighborhood, which was over half of the neighborhood, during the night, and I would listen for him outside my window.

CCC.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                      Still Old School
                      • Feb 14, 2008

My brother (who I shared a room with my entire childhood) owned a Tommy Talker. At bedtime I swear it's eyes moved. It scared the hell outta me to the point where my Mom would toss a blanket over his head at bed time.
                      As an adult I have never seen one in person at a flea market, etc. If I did, I'm not sure whether I'd buy it for nostalgia or through something at it.
                      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Frankenstein - growing up my parents always took us camping for our vacations, we would always go to Lake George at least once every summer. there was this place in town that always had Frankenstein standing out front to greet customers. I was terrified of him and made my parents take us past from the other side of the street, LOL. it took years before I ever got the nerve to approach him and shake his hand

Comment

• BATMAN89
                          Mego obsessed!!!
                          • Jul 20, 2010

This show “Stingray” freaked me out when I was a year old, or so.
                          I remember seeing it on the TV and running away crying.
                          Those marionettes were so creepy looking, and still are! Lol!
                          I am thinking about finding an episode somewhere, just to see what it was like.
                          2DA1C391-9EEA-4D32-B92E-0DA8DC9DCDF7.jpg24FB882E-84EB-4CB3-923C-8C4026E091F9.jpeg20573206-49E5-4BA2-A233-74C42743D438.jpg
                          Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Mikey
                            Verbose Member
                            • Aug 9, 2001

First off, would LOVE to see that Sleestak art on a PS promo postcard for all to enjoy !!!

For something that freaked me out as a kid but still intrigues me to this day ?

I think my top pick would be the Space 1999 Dragon's Domain monster.

The idea of a monster not only eating you but spitting out your skeleton afterward was horrific.

I seen this episode when it first appeared in the US (I was probably 10-ish at the time)

It not only gave me nightmares but I used to think about it while awake and even in school.

The channel that originally played 1999 (WPIX-11-NY) never played reruns at the time.

This fact let my original watching of the episode fester for years until my memory took on a life of its own.

It became the scariest memory I ever had.

Years and years later when I got the DVD megaset I rewatched Dragon's Domain with a fair amount of apprehension.

I can honestly say, it didn't scare me (still entertained me) but my adult mind realized how this might affect a relatively young virgin to violence mind.

Thinking about it today, I think Dragon's Domain was a key player in making me relatively scare-proof as an adult.

Anything Hollywood can cook up today never compares to the Dragon's Domain monster.

To the producers of 1999 --- I HATE you and LOVE you at the same time

Comment

• warlock664
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 15, 2009

Alligators and crocodiles. Seriously. My older siblings used to terrorize me by showing me pictures of alligators and/or crocodiles, or pull out one of those rubber toys we all remember from the 70s. I had nightmares. These days, though, I can't pass by one of the zillion reality shows on Animal Planet etc without stopping to watch. Gator Boys, Swamp People, you name it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎