X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Another Goodwill VHS haul.

You probably can't tell from the picture but Star Trek the Motion Picture is still in factory shrink wrap. Other high points are a really minty pre special edition ROTJ and an equally minty BSG. They are all in really nice shape. I'm kind of picky about condition. Absolutely NO rental copies.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

You've really done well lately! Congrats!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i had most of those on VHS and threw them in the garbage. VHS quality on HD TV's really sucks

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Marvelmania
          You've really done well lately! Congrats!
          Thank you. I've been having fun rebuilding my VHS collection on the cheap.

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          i had most of those on VHS and threw them in the garbage. VHS quality on HD TV's really sucks
          I have one of the last VCR models made. It's a 4 head with HDMI out. The picture quality of these old tapes has actually been quite nice on my HDTV.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Another VHS Goodwill run.

Dracula, Godzilla and Excalibur are still in factory shrink wrap. I already had an older VHS release of Dracula but there's no way I'm going to pass up a factory sealed Universal Monsters movie for 99 cents. Wonderful box art.

Comment

• KOMonger
              Banned
              • Feb 17, 2015

Originally posted by Werewolf
              Thank you. I've been having fun rebuilding my VHS collection on the cheap.

I have one of the last VCR models made. It's a 4 head with HDMI out. The picture quality of these old tapes has actually been quite nice on my HDTV.
              This is making me think. I vividly recall hearing about Queen's DVD release of their music videos (way back when) that got "remastered" into all 16:9 format versions. I was really ****ed off about that so I avoided it.

Seems like the way to go is either an old tape, or LD, if it exists. Japan had a lot of live music LD and VHS releases for their market.
              Last edited by KOMonger; Jul 24, '18, 7:41 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by KOMonger
                This is making me think. I vividly recall hearing about Queen's DVD release of their music videos (way back when) that got "remastered" into all 16:9 format versions. I was really ****ed off about that so I avoided it.
                That's the biggest benefit of older formats like VHS or laserdisc, they predate all the digital revisionist changes, special editions and director cuts. Sometimes they are the only way to get the original unaltered theatrical release, even if it is in full screen.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Stopped at an estate sale this morning and came away with the following...

My wife loves Disney storybooks and I found these 8 Disney lps with storybooks...

and these two lps for good measure

plus a vintage Bambi coloring book and a pair of vintage Peanuts

but the real prize of the day was this, which is why I went to the show having seen a pic of it hiding among the items for sale, but I had no clue how much it would be or what shape it was in...

it was near complete (missing 3 of the shooting stars, and in the box but the box was a bit rough...

I was at a toy show on Sunday and saw Shogun Warriors loose and in worse shape going for $75-$150, I got this bad boy for a whopping $4, yes $4. I spent $27 total for everything (lps were $2 each, books $1 each).

They had a pair of GI Joe army jeeps for the 12 inch line that were from circa '68 the seller said, one with trailer, but they were priced a little beyond my interest level. One (with the trailer) was in pretty good shape, the other was pretty beat up. Both were loose, no boxes. They lower prices by 50% on Sunday, so I may take a ride over and see if they are still there then (depending how successful my great new Mego search is that morning an how much budget I have left).

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

Whoa awesome price on the Shogun Warrior!
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by drquest
                      Whoa awesome price on the Shogun Warrior!
                      I was honestly expecting to pay more, but was hoping it would be below the prices I saw at the toy show. I know the people who run the estate sale business and they price stuff to sell not sit unsold at the sales, but they usually do their homework to get their client a fair price on the stuff too, but every now and then stuff goes out at really good prices (I picked up my copy of Shazam form the 40s-70s with dustjacket in awesome shape form them a couple years back when it was on a shelf with several other random hardcover books for $2 a pop. I got lucky on this one though.

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by MRP
                        I was honestly expecting to pay more, but was hoping it would be below the prices I saw at the toy show. I know the people who run the estate sale business and they price stuff to sell not sit unsold at the sales, but they usually do their homework to get their client a fair price on the stuff too, but every now and then stuff goes out at really good prices (I picked up my copy of Shazam form the 40s-70s with dustjacket in awesome shape form them a couple years back when it was on a shelf with several other random hardcover books for $2 a pop. I got lucky on this one though.

-M
                        It seem any estate sale I go to the people are looking for sky high prices something sold for one time in the past. Congrats on it!
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

You struck gold on that Shogun!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

Found this in the wild not quite a garage sale score , but definitely a Big lots, Ollie's price.
                            IMG_20180803_184939120.jpg
                            Last edited by Mr.Marion; Aug 4, '18, 2:01 PM.

Comment

• Madcap70
                              • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                              Found this is in the wild not quite garage sale score , but definitely a Big lots, Ollie's price.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]23441[/ATTACH]
                              How much?

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                                Permanent Member
                                • Sep 15, 2014

I drove into the record bin. $10 for all 4. How did I do?
                                IMG_20180811_131329625.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎