X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by drquest
    I really like the red top box 1969 sets. I luckily have all of the figures in their coffin boxes.

These below are the among toughest to find.. The AA tagged box, and the alternate uniform AA figure as well.

In my opinion the boxed Aquanaut is harder to find than the AA version.

I have a regular boxed '69 figure and a boxed talking Astronaut with the cloth cap not pictured.

This is the only boxed '69 set I have.

My goodness. The beauty of this set me on a"tilting at windmills" kind of quest.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

The Aquanaut is my favorite Joe, that's lovely.

I like the Negro Adventurer on the French Resistance togs, that's the repro version I did.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Those were all hard fought for boxes you see there. The aquanaut and AA Adventurer box were both from the original owner, but were both from different collections. I worked that AA Adventurer box for what seems like a year before I was able to buy it. It came from someone in Canada, and I got a teal Airborne set from that same person. The Aquanaut I found on Etsy of all places a couple of years ago. I was so worried about it being mailed to me, sweated bullets until it arrived.

Makernaut, I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to show us.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Makernaut
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          The Aquanaut is my favorite Joe, that's lovely.

I like the Negro Adventurer on the French Resistance togs, that's the repro version I did.
          Me, too, amigo! I think that get up may be one of my favorite Joe's ever.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Did you buy the boxes separate from the figures? That must be uncommon?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Good question!

The Aquanaut is all original, the figure is what came in that box. I didn't swap anything on it at all, super pleased with it.

The 69 AA box was just the box top, no figure, but I had a correct 69 bottom and a figure ready for it. I mentioned I got a teal Airborne from that person as well, but I now remembered that was a tan Airborne MP set. Almost 10 years ago I think.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by drquest
                Makernaut, I'm looking forward to seeing what you're going to show us.
                Nowhere as near as impressive as what you have put together, BUT.....in time I might get there.

I do feel VERY appreciative of what you have shared because it lit a fire under me to work at it until I get there. Seriously, your collection motivated me to light a fire under my own ***.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Makernaut
                  Me, too, amigo! I think that get up may be one of my favorite Joe's ever.
                  I really lucked out with my '69 repros, because the club did a figure that had the tan cap and ribbed t-shirt, and Action Man 40th did a French Resistance set.

My repro Aquanaut has a blue sweater and trousers with proper pockets, but then the club did a full repro so I have a pair.

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

I will admit up front that all of my boxes are reproductions, but I have been able to rotate in authentic clothes (and they weren't when I started) and that makes me hopeful that on a long enough time line, I will make it to where I want my collection to be.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

What is your favorite '69 set, folks?

Mine: Mouth of Doom. Usually I would gravitate towards Eight Ropes or Shark's Surprise, but MoD's unique accessories and sarari suit grab me.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 2, '20, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Nowhere as near as impressive as what you have put together, BUT.....in time I might get there.

I do feel VERY appreciative of what you have shared because it lit a fire under me to work at it until I get there. Seriously, your collection motivated me to light a fire under my own ***.
                        Oh I feel funny sharing pictures sometimes of the stuff I find interesting. My wife's not real interested, and my kids, especially my daughter calls them dollies.

I may have another picture to show tomorrow or Saturday. Nothing as cool as the 69 stuff, but something vintage I've been trying to piece together for a few years now.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Keep sharing, it's wonderful to see all these.

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

I really lucked out with my '69 repros, because the club did a figure that had the tan cap and ribbed t-shirt, and Action Man 40th did a French Resistance set.

My repro Aquanaut has a blue sweater and trousers with proper pockets, but then the club did a full repro so I have a pair.
                            I have always been happy with repros. My gawd, I could die today and just the strong reminiscent of being a kid is more than enough for me to say, "Thank YOU!!!" If I can get originals to fill in the blanks, well, that makes me happy.....but I love a facsimile that makes me forget the small details in favor of "THIS IS WHY I LOVED THIS!!".

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

What is your favorite '69 set, folks?

Mine: Mouth of Doom

Set wise?...Yeah, Mouth of Doom is hard to beat. You can see how they combined "we might be stuck with this!" into....."what a beautiful set!"

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

I have always been happy with repros,...I love a facsimile that makes me forget the small details in favor of "THIS IS WHY I LOVED THIS!!".
                                You should check out 3rd Son's repro footlockers. Filling those is a blast.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎