• Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

^ nice pickup!

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

Blonde MOA is a favorite for sure. I have one of mine in my Flying Space Adventure set.

Related to this, I also wondered why Hasbro didn't release an auburn colored(Sea Adventurer) without a beard.

I see customs a lot, but never any verified vintage ones that I'm aware of.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 26, 2008

MOA with brown hair and HH is one of my earliest toy memories, I remember looking at the different guys in their boxes and picking the MOA because in my mind he was most like the real army men of the day, green fatigues and hat, flat metal dog tag and clean shaved.
        The AT were my favorite toys I guess but I was only old enough to be around at the tail end of the line for a few years. I have one pic of me playing with mine in late 79 or early 80, well after star wars had taken over the toy aisle.
        He is the first one in my collection in a long time, unfortunately like lays potato chips and many other things, you can't have just one.
        Chad

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by drquest
          Blonde MOA is a favorite for sure. I have one of mine in my Flying Space Adventure set.

Related to this, I also wondered why Hasbro didn't release an auburn colored(Sea Adventurer) without a beard.

I see customs a lot, but never any verified vintage ones that I'm aware of.
          I agree, having the ginger MOA MIA is odd. The reissue Eight Ropes of Danger featured one, though.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Old school Joe’s are always nice pick ups and this is a neat blonde hair one, congrats.

Comment

• SainthoodDenied
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 26, 2008

Originally posted by TrekStar
              Old school Joe’s are always nice pick ups and this is a neat blonde hair one, congrats.
              Thanks, I was really happy to find him, now I need to find his brown haired twin and some gear.
              Chad

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

​ Anyone added anything to to their collection? I have recently discovered the range of Action Man...only to consistently talk myself out of going down that amazing trail when I had declared "I'm done!" And it is hard not to go back on that promise to myself when I look at the coolness of it all! ​​

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I love Action Man and have some of the space stuff and 40th-anniversary repros, as well as a repro Tom Stone soon to be completed thanks to Hobby Crash's amazing muscle-body repros.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 27, '23, 11:26 PM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

^ Tom Stone is a cool looking Action Man. Looking forward to seeing your finished figure!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I should have the figure (from Spain) this Saturday and am doctoring up AM/Joe 40th duds for him. I don't yet have the proper machine gun.

I was thinking of giving him rolled/short sleeves, why not show off those arms lol. But that's not accurate. I do have the proper (repro) beret with badge.

Comment

• Makernaut
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2015

20240210_160145.jpg
                        Finally cobbled together a Marine Jungle Fighter. Used a 40th Marine with bits from the Timeless Australian Jungle Fighter and a repro uniform from 3rd Son Books. The M-16 is the only thing that is an original part.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

That is a sharp figure. Just as nice as the Club version, and I bet a whole lot cheaper. Good job.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

Nicely done, and I agree, a much better bank for your buck than an original. I'm pretty much priced out with Joe collecting at this point.

Comment

• Makernaut
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 22, 2015

Thank you, both.

I love seeing the real deal JOES where the collector has been not only smart, but smart for a long time, in acquiring pieces. I realized that for me, I waited too long to get into collecting to lay hands on much vintage stuff in nice condition, but....I have had an absolute blast doing the research and putting together a representative collection built largely on 40th and Timeless sets. That's been supplemented by vintage when I can and tied together with really nice 3rd party reproduction uniforms and parts. It's hard to believe, but even the 40th and Timeless stuff is coming up on 20 years old and really starting to creep up in price.

Comment

• Makernaut
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 22, 2015

This is an SAS Action Man kitbash I put together based on an Action Man Basic Soldier. I used an original SLR rifle and the sweater and pants from a 40th. I added a tan shirt (dickie) and an SAS beret from Cotswolds, along with an SAS stable belt that I made myself.

Not quite done fiddling with it, but I think it's almost "close enough" to the real thing. The last photo is a picture of the real thing for comparison.
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 3 photos.
                                Last edited by Makernaut; Feb 15, '24, 2:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎