X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Big Jim Vs Zorak

As much as I love this Big Jim, you knew the line was in some serious trouble when numerous wish books scaled their offering down to two characters.

I remember being kinda heartbroken in 1977 when I entered the Sears toy department and asked the clerk where the Big Jim stuff was, he turned to me and said "Oh, they don't make those anymore" in a "Vincent Price" kinda way.

My brilliant grandmother found a Jim on the clearance table and the day was saved.

However, that clerk was a dick, I was six and he was totally trying to make me cry.

Like our Facebook Page
    Check out our Instagram

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Neutron X
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 22, 2007

Cool pic. I have a similar story concerning Gijoe. My Zorak has the same face paint as the one in pic. Notice the green paint is not covering the whole face I think it's colored as if it was changing before our eyes. Most of the ones I have seen are all colored totally green. Anyone else notice this?

Comment

• Iron Mego
      Wake Up Heavy
      • Jan 31, 2010

I've always wanted a Zorak.
      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Zorak is awesome, he was the last Big Jim figure I purchased as a kid.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I was never into the Big Jim lines, never had any of them as a kid. although I did have some of the accessories and vehicles from one thing or another

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Iron Mego
            I've always wanted a Zorak.
            Me, too!
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Bravestarr
              Museum Super Collector
              • Mar 26, 2017

Very cool thread

Comment

• Iron Mego
                Wake Up Heavy
                • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Neutron X
                Cool pic. I have a similar story concerning Gijoe. My Zorak has the same face paint as the one in pic. Notice the green paint is not covering the whole face I think it's colored as if it was changing before our eyes. Most of the ones I have seen are all colored totally green. Anyone else notice this?
                All the ones I've been looking at, and the image on the box-art, seem to have a gradation of the green paint.
                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Iron Mego- Your right! I think I have this figured out. It seems that Zoraks made in other countries have all green faces. When I checked all my pics it appears that way.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Neat. Man E Faces immediately springs to my mind when I see those figures. It is really cool how much of Big Jim lived on in MOTU. Stuff like Battlecat, Zoar and even Webstor's grappling hook all came from Big Jim. Big Jim did borrow from MOTU at least once though. The 1983 All-Terrain Vehicle from the Big Jim Spy line used the treads and motorized action feature from the MOTU Attak Trak.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Zorak's people face reminds me of someone, just can't think of whom.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, a lot of Jim concepts found their way into MOTU. Mattel was good at that.

I think that Man-E-Faces had a much more stripped down concept because the Zorak face change gimmick was the work of an outside toy designer.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Zorak's people face reminds me of someone, just can't think of whom.
                          David Niven?

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ Yeah, maybe. I was thinking maybe Don Ameche, too.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Iron Mego
                              Wake Up Heavy
                              • Jan 31, 2010

Because of this thread I renewed my search for Zorak and found one, complete and in good condition, so I can now mark another childhood grail off the list.

And yes, his green face has that gradation we were talking about.

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎