X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Krypt0nite
    I think this is based on the second season episode, "The Apple", with the feeders of Vaal.
    I was wondering about Spock's Brain because they reference Gamma 6, and there is something that looks a tiny bit like this set.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brue
      I was wondering about Spock's Brain because they reference Gamma 6, and there is something that looks a tiny bit like this set.
      I didn't know this before today but Gamma 6 is the planet that "The Apple" was set on.

Gamma Trianguli VI was the inhabited sixth planet in the Gamma Trianguli system. This system was located in the Gamma Trianguli sector of the Alpha Quadrant. This was the homeworld of the Vaalians, a pre-warp humanoid species. This was, also, the home of the pod plants. Vaal, a computer-machine with rudimentary intelligence, controlled this planet and its inhabitants for approximately ten thousand years until 2267. (TOS: "The Apple"; Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, okudagram; ENT: "In a
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by danadoll
        It's definitely scaled for 3.75 inch figures, though. The throne, the stairs, the trapdoor....it all screams 3 & 3/4 inch size figure.

Dana
        Interesting that you mention that because in 1976 Mego was exploring giving the Star Trek line the Comic Action Heroes treatment before abandoning it. It's possible this had it beginnings there?
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
          I didn't know this before today but Gamma 6 is the planet that "The Apple" was set on.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Gamma_Trianguli_VI

I just now googled Gamma 6 Spock's Brain and it was on Draconis VI. My vintage ears and cheap single ear bud plus bias had me hear Gamma VI

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

The aliens strangely look like Andorians too. Pigmy Andorians!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Gamma_Trianguli_VI
              That's interesting. I recognized the playset as based on the episode, but I always assumed Mego just came up with Gamma VI on their own.

I had also never questioned the smaller aliens. I didn't like the size difference, but again, just assumed Mego was cheaping out.
              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Interesting that you mention that because in 1976 Mego was exploring giving the Star Trek line the Comic Action Heroes treatment before abandoning it. It's possible this had it beginnings there?
                That would have been cool and does help explain why this playset is so crazy out of scale. Because there is no way they could explore the caverns below the trap door when it went only up to their knees.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Another thing about this playset is, the aliens on the box art and the ones included were a bit different. The ones included were (4) blue-red-yellow and green, and I think there was also an orange one, so maybe the aliens on the box were prototypes? Someone mentioned earlier this playset would have been better for the 3 3/4 size Trek figures, which makes sense, but the set came out before the Motion picture movie, this makes me think Mego might have been thinking 3 3/4 figures in the yellow-blue and red shirts, then nixed it, and decided on going with the 3 3/4 size after TMP.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 23, 2019

Earlier this year I visited a vintage toy store in Edmonton, Alberta and actually saw the Mission to Gamma VI playset (opened, but with its original box) for sale. I can't recall the exact asking price, but it was super expensive and also on quite a high shelf so I couldn't take it down and examine it to see if it was indeed complete or not. I wish I could have purchased it, but it was way beyond my limited budget at that time. I wonder if it's still there?
                    "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎