X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hector
    I don’t care about what people say in the internet...I care what post #26 said...

As do I. 99% of the time, I find myself agreeing with Gorn Captain. But you have his opinion, mine, and lots of others whom you probably know less than the two of us. Based on post #17, I'd predict you will not like it. Which is why I would encourage you to have an open mind and just enjoy.

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

I watched Last Jedi with more than an open mind. I went in expecting to love it.

I'm glad that others did... I really wish I was among them.

I may be odd though, I liked Rogue One and Force Awakens.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
        I don’t care about what people say in the internet...I care what post #26 said...

Thanks, brother!

I do hope you'll see the movie eventually, and who knows, give it a shot. Don't want to spoil the experience in advance...

I went to see Last Jedi with an old friend and diehard SW fan. After that, he said he never wants to see a SW movie again. Which is a shame, really. I'm always ready for more SW, I'll give it all a fighting chance.
        And I'm glad Last Jedi did well, keeps the franchise alive, which is important, and I know plenty of people who liked it.
        It's not that I'm that hard to please, even in Clones, I enjoyed some parts like the Jango Fett fight, but Last Jedi was, for me, one disappointment after another. To me, it felt disrespectful towards the characters and the spirit of the saga.

Once you've seen Last Jedi, let us know!

And Hedji, sorry I can't support you on this one. We so often agree, I guess there must be ONE exception!
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by YoungOnce
          I may be odd though, I liked Rogue One and Force Awakens.
          Welcome in the club!
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            And Hedji, sorry I can't support you on this one. We so often agree, I guess there must be ONE exception!
            No need to apologize, my friend.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
              Everything else is just filler to make money
              Wikipedia says: Estimated US$42 billion price value (from a few years back, too) ... second only to Pokemon as the all-time top grossing franchise.

That's some heavy filler money.

Kinda makes the near 800 million the original grossed insignificant in comparison.

Star Wars has its highs/lows, and I criticize it more than the next person.

Still, when you imply that its basically empty outside of the original (i.e. "filler"), I either have to scratch my head at that claim... or give you a nod of respect to have such a counter-view to the reality of the rest of humanity.

Then again, you might not think too much of humanity. Me? Big fan. My people... for better or worse.

Maybe I'm just too biased of a Star Wars fan and too outspoken to not reply in some way. I'd respond the same way to a Beatles dismissal. I'm a big fan... yet, so is history itself a "big fan" of both the Beatles and Star Wars in their respective genres (I realize the analogy falls apart at some point due to Star Wars' bigger scope!).

Either way... your bold post inspired me to look up the numbers... so that's an undeniable positive.

And actually I'm surprised at how much Lucas practically "gave away" Star Wars for (Practically 38 billion less than what it was worth). And, if you remember, Lucas gave away most of THAT money to charity.

So, outside of the movies themselves... you have the huge franchise financial records it broke... plus the approximate 3 billion that went to charity... PLUS the huge technological strides Lucasfilm has made throughout the years in audio, visual and whatever else that never would have been possible without the franchises profit.... technological strides that have touched just about every big "fantasy"/"sci-fi" film of the last 30 years.
              Last edited by huedell; Mar 26, '18, 6:13 PM.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• YoungOnce
                Career Member
                • Aug 29, 2007

Here's what Last Jedi did for me.

It made me realize that I cannot get back to the same headspace that I was in when I saw A New Hope in 1977 as a 12 year old boy.

This movie would have been fine for that kid, but for a 52 year old man who grew up and wanted Star Wars to grow up with him, it couldn't do it. And it's not the movies fault. Maybe Star Wars will always be for 12 year old boys and that's the way it should be.

Comment

• huedell
                  Museum Ball Eater
                  • Dec 31, 2003

This movie would have been fine for that kid, but for a 52 year old man who grew up and wanted Star Wars to grow up with him, it couldn't do it. And it's not the movies fault. Maybe Star Wars will always be for 12 year old boys and that's the way it should be.
                  Well... that's a rationale that George Lucas espouses (and so do many fans that're either conscious of that, or unaware), and its a rationale that I personally don't particularly agree with, because I believe that film-making strengths and weaknesses are tangible things...and while many of those are opinion-based, many are also quite objective viewpoints... that said... with your rationale, you're certainly in good company.
                  "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i liked Last Jedi. I wish there would have been more of Luke in action but hey, it is what it is. These movies are generational. there was not much Obi Wan in action in A New Hope. He was passing the torch on to the new generation, who just happen to have been the generation of heroes we all grew up with. Now, there is a new generation, kids today will appreciate those characters more.

I will say this though, Lucasfilm and Kathy Kennedy have an agenda with a feminist push. They admit it. Nothing wrong with strong female leads, but they are treading a fine line and have already angered a lot of long time fans with overdoing it

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

Here's what Last Jedi did for me.

It made me realize that I cannot get back to the same headspace that I was in when I saw A New Hope in 1977 as a 12 year old boy.

That's an interesting idea, one I've thought about myself, also being a 52 year old man!
                      I would have agreed with you up until Rogue One. Rogue had my heart beating again like in 1977, and the scene with Vader made me feel 12 again. Doesn't happen very often, this feeling, and I can't explain it. It hit all the right marks for me.
                      Maybe I'm just going senile, also an option...
                      Never give up on your 12 year old self, it's alive in there somewhere!

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

I would have agreed with you up until Rogue One. Rogue had my heart beating again like in 1977, and the scene with Vader made me feel 12 again.
                        Yeah, I was the same way in that scene, so I guess it is possible to go back after all.

Like I said before, I really liked Force Awakens and Rogue One. I thought Force Awakens was the absolute closest in tone to the original trilogy, that's why it comes in fourth on my own personal list. Rogue One comes after it, not because it has that same tone, but because it is a more grown-up Star Wars and I enjoyed that.

in my perfect world, Last Jedi would have been closer in tone to Rogue One. The stakes in Rogue One felt higher than any other Star Wars movie other than Empire (for me). I bought in. The outcome had weight and that was even though we already knew the outcome! For a compilation of cool Star Wars scenes, LJ was fun to look at, but tonally, it completely turned me off. All that comedy with Hux just completely neutered him. All of the feminism empowerment stuff would have been overlooked by me if it had been a better movie, but since it seemed to want to totally deconstruct what had been laid out by JJ before, it makes it look like they traded THIS for THAT. Like, let's get our social messages out there using Star Wars to reach that new generation, and along with that, let's let Rian deconstruct what we all think Star Wars should be, just because.

Some folks loved it; others didn't... no opinion is wrong on subjective "art". It's funny seeing so many people trying to convince someone else why they should like this movie or not like this movie. A person sees it; they either do or they don't.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 29, 2007

Never give up on your 12 year old self, it's alive in there somewhere!
                          Never! I'm on a Mego board aren't I?

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Yeah, I was the same way in that scene, so I guess it is possible to go back after all. Like I said before, I really liked Force Awakens and Rogue One. I thought Force Awakens was the absolute closest in tone to the original trilogy, that's why it comes in fourth on my own personal list. Rogue One comes after it, not because it has that same tone, but because it is a more grown-up Star Wars and I enjoyed that.
                            That seeming contradiction in your posts confused me... so, I took it that I must've been misinterpreting something, and ignored it in my "Lucas" comment I made. Your clarification makes your sentiment clearer.

From what I can see in your posts, I predict that if you watch Last Jedi after a few years you might not despise it as much.

I only say that because while you seem to be pushed over the edge by some of TLJ's tone, you still have a lot of potential to enjoy Star Wars.... that is, as long as isn't totally mired in prequel shortcomings... shortcomings that apparently only Lucas himself could achieve. Like me, you have the prequels at the bottom of your list, so I can't help but jump to this conclusion. I admit, I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

I love that The Last Jedi is challenging and takes a riskier tone. I just like surprises, and I think, had George stayed on board, he would've often gone east when fans would want and expect west.

I see why Rogue One is so popular. It takes you back to the safe era and tone of the OT.

Two questions to consider: without the Vader scene, would it be so well loved? A strong ending makes up for a slog of a first act.

And how will characters like Jyn, Cassian, or Baze hold up over time? I personally didn't connect with them, and yet I absolutely adore Rey, Finn, and Poe.

For me, and just my opinion not trying to force it on others, Rogue One gets everything right except the characters, and to a lesser extent, the pacing of Act 1.

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Hedji
                                I love that The Last Jedi is challenging and takes a riskier tone. I just like surprises, and I think, had George stayed on board, he would've often gone east when fans would want and expect west.

I see why Rogue One is so popular. It takes you back to the safe era and tone of the OT.

Two questions to consider: without the Vader scene, would it be so well loved? A strong ending makes up for a slog of a first act.

And how will characters like Jyn, Cassian, or Baze hold up over time? I personally didn't connect with them, and yet I absolutely adore Rey, Finn, and Poe.

For me, and just my opinion not trying to force it on others, Rogue One gets everything right except the characters, and to a lesser extent, the pacing of Act 1.
                                Rogue One was set at a sweet spot, timeline wise for a SW movie and it was done well. Tarken could have been better as well as Leia, but I applaud the effort to get them in it. I think the characters will hold up because they all had a start to finish... I like Rey, but honestly Finn and Poe started irritating me in the Last Jedi. The characters are fine, I liked them better in TFA, but in TLJ they were so predictable. Overall I didn't care for TLJ, and it's the only Star Wars movie I only saw once in the theater, and the only one I'm not going to purchase.
                                Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡