Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

Trying to recapture a taste from my youth - school hot lunch chicken croquettes

Crazy have a taste for 70's mass produced school lunch chicken croquettes.

Does anybody still make them ?

My local groceries have nothing
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I make these every so often from scratch with leftover chicken (that's pretty much the point of them), but I had no idea they were commercialized. My school didn't serve them.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

From what I remember, they were basically your average USA East Coast clam/crab cakes (see Baltimore peeps) --- chicken instead of clams/crab meat --- with some altered white country gravy...
      Last edited by Mikey; Jan 19, '18, 5:28 PM.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Haven't had them in ages... but I want to say we ate Stouffer's frozen when I was a kid.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
          From what I remember, they were basically your average USA East Coast clam/crab cakes (see Baltimore peeps) --- chicken instead of clams/crab meat --- with some altered white country gravy...
          I can picture exactly what you mean. I wish I could make you some of mine, from my mother's simple recipe. The binder is thick white sauce--you use part of it in the croquettes, and the rest is thinned and makes the creamy gravy, which is flavored with some chicken base or bullion. Just simple and homey, we always had it with canned mixed vegetables. Now I prefer California blend.

Mmm, makes me hungry lol...
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Sounds good, guys!

Mikey, Google “frozen chicken croquets.” It should give you some idea of what brands to look for in the frozen section. I never search for anything like it, but when I saw Goya’s, I realized that I had seen them.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm surprised, I had no idea these had merit as a frozen entrée. Seems like they would be soggy.

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I can picture exactly what you mean. I wish I could make you some of mine, from my mother's simple recipe. The binder is thick white sauce--you use part of it in the croquettes, and the rest is thinned and makes the creamy gravy, which is flavored with some chicken base or bullion. Just simple and homey, we always had it with canned mixed vegetables. Now I prefer California blend.

Mmm, makes me hungry lol...
                "Damn......that just made my mouth water."

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Duncan
                  Museum focus-groupie
                  • Jun 27, 2009

My school had em, but I absolutely hated them. They were served without any kind of gravy or sauce, and were too dry to choke down.

But, I see that Goya makes a version - maybe try a Mexican grocery?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

^The beauty in NYC and maybe up and down the north east is that Goya is all over every grocery store.

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎