Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spiderrogue
    new mego-er
    • Feb 3, 2008

^^i agree with the marketplace comments..i feel "weird" when i want to put something up for trade or sell that isnt mego or mego related...so..maybe that would be a good idea to have a seperate section for that, or another thread within the marketplace for non mego stuff...

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Hey, if it helps, think of mine as overly tall Mego inspired customs. When I started this customizing thing, I didn't know there were Doc Mego bodies or heads from Russ or Austin, Now after 100's of 9 inch customs, I'm solidly in that format and will be staying there. I do this because I loved Mego as a kid and the Hasbro 9 inchers brought that same thrill back to me.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
        I'm not painting any picture. The reason why I brought it up was because the problems/question with the marketplace that I have had and some others have had was similar to the problem/question that Roy brought up in this thread.

Here's the problem in a nutshell:

The FS/FT/Wanted posts tend to disappear that have actual "Mego" content in them when someone wants to sell there, for example, Star Wars or GI JOE or Playamtes Trek stuff...or on some occassions used DVD's. All I EVER said was that there should be a separte Marketplace for NON MEGO items...or there should be some sort of Icon that separates MEGO stuff from non Mego stuff.

All I am saying and said was "It is what it is..." That's it. I didn't call anyone any names and I didn't make any derogatory comments about the museum.

Here's a suggestion...and I am serious about this suggestion...maybe some sections of the museum need to be either combined or gotten rid of completely. Then there could be some sort of re-structuring of some portions of the museum. Again, this is only a suggestion. What do you think?
        Well I read that toally in the wrong tone hence my reply.

I've never heard of this marketplace problem before so i'm a bit surprised.

As for getting rid of sections, I assume you mean forums and that's hard to be subjective, some people have no use for things that others enjoy.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

As for the Marketplace, you guys tried a swap meet section on the old board, and it was seldom used.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
            Stuck in a laundry shoot.
            • Oct 8, 2007

I don't really want to touch this thread as some seem pretty po'd. However, I for one did offer up some Star Wars stuff in the Market Place, but only because I know a lot of folks here collect toys other than megos, and I wanted to give anyone interested a shot at it before I chucked it all into the burn-barrel. It went over like a bowl of toilet water, but that is because Power of the Force stuff isn't worth ****e. I won't bother with non mego stuff here again.

Some of my customs are very trad. mego, and some are less purist. It depends on the art or character that inspires me to do the custom. I love seeing everyones different styles and interpretations for their various customs, I wouldn't want all of them, but sure enjoy seeing them, and I find it inspiring. That is my halfpence worth of opinion.

Lets have a thread where everyone posts their Flash and Green Lantern customs. You will see 30 different versions that could all be considered WWMD style, and I love them all.
            "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• K
              Fun Will Now Commence
              • Jun 20, 2001

Hmm....varied and strong opinions here. And all quite valid.
              After all, opinions by definition cannot be "wrong".

If I may try my hand at diplomacy:

I can understand the original question posed in this thread.
              Personally, I've used either original Mego or repro Mego bodies for my male customs, but I typically use Breyer (once a modified Famous Covers) bodies for female customs. Still 8", but not strictly Mego.

I tend to put the emphasis and my interpretation of the word "custom" into the figure's head, paint, and clothing. Others perhaps interpret "custom" as meaning a modification or improvement of the body itself...in proportion, articulation, etc.

While I have my own preference for the figures I make, I also have a great appreciation for the customs that appear here that are 180 degrees from how I would have constructed a particular character or figure. Are all of them Mego-like? Perhaps not, but Mego made many different scales of figures and also was quite varied in such things as costumes and head sculpts: some were more "cartoon-y" (Captain America and non RC Batman head sculpts, for example) while others more realistic and mature looking (Green
              Arrow's sculpt and suit come to mind).

I think there's room for them all and probably simpler if they're all just continued to be lumped together in one Finished Customs forum. I think this simply from a practical standpoint. I know that there are threads and forums I don't read simply because I can't get to them all. The one place I do make sure I come to, however, is the Customs Forum, so I'd prefer the number "places" to visit be kept to a minimum. Just my opinion.

How about a big group hug??

I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."

Comment

• spiderrogue
                new mego-er
                • Feb 3, 2008

However never offer anything themselves. So nows your chance to lead the charge,.. I am sure those "Megoesque Spandex" Suits you were Inquiring from SpiderRogue will Help you in your Quest.

pretty sure that this is a dig on me and my suits..which i hope isnt true..and if it is, how the h^&L(just so you know, i had a not so nice word there first) did my name get involved with this? this thread isnt about me or my suits...

if anyone has an issue with me or my suits, say it to my face, dont play this grade school crap....
                Last edited by spiderrogue; May 1, '08, 8:47 PM.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 20, 2002

Let's bring this down a notch, shall we? We're all starting to take it a little too personal. The discussion is good, but becomes pointless when we start jumping at each other.

Comment

• spiderrogue
                    new mego-er
                    • Feb 3, 2008

done..if others can keep my name out of their threads..in a "Bad" way..im here to make friends..not to be badmouthed for something that someone has no business doing...
                    'nuff said

and if im wrong, then they need to explain their actions a little more clearer next time...

Comment

• Overkill
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 19, 2007

Originally posted by spiderrogue
                      However never offer anything themselves. So nows your chance to lead the charge,.. I am sure those "Megoesque Spandex" Suits you were Inquiring from SpiderRogue will Help you in your Quest.

pretty sure that this is a dig on me and my suits..which i hope isnt true..and if it is, how the h^&L(just so you know, i had a not so nice word there first) did my name get involved with this? this thread isnt about me or my suits...

if anyone has an issue with me or my suits, say it to my face, dont play this grade school crap....
                      No no, I don't think that was a crack on your work. I think he was just saying to the threadmaker that it's hard to debate about something when they're partaking in it themself. Your suits were brought up because you make them out of tight spandex, which is not what a standard mego suit looks like, and since the threadmaker inquired about your suits, that would be going against his whole 'mego-like' argument.

NOTE: I am not on any side of this debate. I just wanted to notify Matt that I don't think his work was criticized at all. :P

Comment

• spiderrogue
                        new mego-er
                        • Feb 3, 2008

it's all good....and i do apologize for anything that was said or misunderstood...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Matt, I really didn't see it as a dig either. I believe the thread starter posted on your suits for sale thread and that's what BK was referring to.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Here's what BK was referring to. Scroll down about half way. http://megomuseum.com/community/show...t=10507&page=5

Comment

• spiderrogue
                              new mego-er
                              • Feb 3, 2008

like i said, it's all good, everything is taken care of...thanks for trying to help, appreciate it, T!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎