Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bionic Joe
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 10, 2006

I feel there is room for both, I have seen some really nice detailed figures posted here, But i try to make my customs look like they were made by MEGO back in the 70s. I want my custom MEGO GREEN LANTERN to be able to stand alongside SUPERMAN and BATMAN and look like he belongs there
    Last edited by Bionic Joe; Apr 29, '08, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• misterdroid
      Banned
      • Jan 10, 2008

Originally posted by marbkwds
      Dude , My reference to my custom being made with all recycled things was a joke . If Mego were still going today they might not make figures at all but making a custom mego should at least look like a mego , That is all that I'm saying ........ I am sure that others feel the same as I do and maybe we'll see here . Roy
      I agree with you and have been trying to think of a diplomatic way of phrasing the question. I remember 10 years ago when any custom 1/6 scale figure was a "Custom Joe". Then customizing gradually got better and better as new stuff hit the market, the guys doing it got better and better and the 1/6 custom world was born... Rarely mentioning GI Joe.
      When is a custom Mego not a Mego? No need to overthink the issue... when it's not mego! If you use famous covers bodies or DC9's, it's not a custom Mego. If, as a couple of REALLY talented customizers have done, you have created an all new body it is not a custom mego. And I have no problems with that. As a Mego collector I gravitate towards the 8"/9" scale. I love seeing those non-mego customs... so I am not trying to take away from anyones work (as much of it is excellent). I want to keep seeing it on this forum.
      I had this same discussion with a guy I used to work with that collects motorcycles. In my mind lots of the custom bikes called "choppers" are not in fact choppers. My dad used to build choppers in the 70's. A chopper is by definition "chopped". It is a custom bike built out of modificatiuons on a specific make or model of motorcycle. If you fabricate the bike from scratch, it is not a chopper... as it hasn't been "chopped". It may be awesome, and better in everyway that a true chopper, but it is not a chopper.
      I think that is the essence of customizing. It is about the limits of the platform. If a custom is billed a a custom mego I want to see it built on a mostly mego frame. If you use something else it is easy to exceed the limitations and take it to an entirely different level. Not a bad thing at all. the difference is all semantic really. but that is my opinion.

Comment

• Mego Milk
        Custom Mego Maker
        • Jun 3, 2007

Wow! What a topic!
        I like all Mego-Inspired Customs!
        rock on customizers!

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

I say run these "non-Mego" Customizers out on a Rail!! Get out the Tourches & Pitchforks Boys!!!
          sigpic

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

Wow , All that I was trying to say here is that the same way we have a MEGOBUZZ and a GENERALBUZZ is so one can buzz about Megos or just anything Non Mego is the way I see the customs thing , When I come on here I rarely go into General Buzz or comics and the like , I basically come here for Mego stuff ....... But I see on here everyone likes to turn things into what they want and that being said ..... I'll never mention it again ....... As to MegoSpidey , Type3Toy's and the like ........... You guys are very talented and you do make some really fine figures , I was in no way trying to bash anyone with this thread just trying to keep it Mego . Roy
            Wow. I'm not sure what the defensive reaction is about. You asked a question and asked for others thoughts. No one in the thread jumped on you, they just offered their thoughts. You said this is a Mego site and the customs should be Mego or there should be another custom forum to segregate the non-mego customs in. You asked others opinions, and they gave it. Pretty much everyone approached it as a discussion, so I'm not sure what's up with this "everyone like to turn things" comment. No one turned anything or told you to keep your opinions to yourself, they just stated their opinions. Relax man, no ones jumping you.

Comment

• darklord1967
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 27, 2008

Wow! Great topic.

Here's my 2 cents:

To me, the words "Mego" and "Megoesque" are the very definition of an 8 inch action figure format of clothed "doll figures".

To this day, throughout the toy industry, clothed "dolls" that are 8 inches in height are referred to as "Mego-esque" or "Mego-like". Peruse through the 8 inch action figure listings on e-bay and you'll see what I mean.

Respectfully, I feel that limiting the definition of what the Mego action figure "style" is does a disservice to the legacy of the MEGO toy corporation.

Within the WGSH line alone, MEGO demonstrated itself to be a very forward thinking and EVOLVING company. Just compare 1972's MEGO Batman to 1976's Thor. There is no question that the company was headed toward bigger, better and more detailed (ie: realistic) renderings of these classic comic book characters. Entire new body sculpt designs were being implemented (for WGSH and even other Mego lines). Richer fabrics, furs, and accessories were being developed... more sophisticated footwear began to appear... the company had definitely evolved away from vinyl oven mitts.

Therein lies the personal interpretation of what it means to be a custom MEGO action figure.

For some, that term implies the use of ONLY Mego body parts in their figures, and a nostalgic nod toward a simplified design of the character that's been created.

Fair enough. I've seen some absolutely GORGEOUS custom MEGO action figures developed under these guidelines.

However, for others (myself included), the term "custom MEGO figure" implies a bolder, "outside the box" approach to the general clothed 8 inch action figure format. One that leans toward greater realism, greater poseability, and greater detail in the finished figure.

For this group, the approach to the creation of a custom 8 inch action figure is often the question "What would MEGO have done with this character if they had evolved into a toy company producer of ultra-detailed 8 inch figures?"

The answer to that question (for us) sometimes means developing our OWN body parts for greater poseability (loosely or directly based on MEGO parts), creating incredibly sophisticated garments, and proceeding with an attention to character detail that is painstaking.

Charlie Flatt is most certainly credited for pioneering that format. And for years, he has actually been attacked by MEGO "purists" for doing so... even though his work was (and is) clearly very well done. I for one admire Charlie for his bravery, and I will always wish him well. He was (and remains) an amazing talent, and good friend, and a heck of a human being.

Ironically, it is these same Mego purists who seem to ignore the likelihood that given enough time, MEGO would most certainly have evolved it's figures to resemble one of Charlie's, or Chris "Captain Mego" Meimann's, or John's (type 3 toys), or Derrek "Mego Spidey's" (like his spotlighted beautiful Captain America).

If the company had survived for over 40 years (like say Hasbro or Mattel have), they would un-doubtedly have had to have taken a more detailed and realistic approach to the creation their toys. The toy consumer tastes would have demanded that they do so. Ultimately, this is what ALL of the most successful toy companies do. Evolve.

Don't agree? Compare a (pre-posed / minimally detailed) Hasbro STAR WARS action figure from 1995 to a (super-articulated / hyper-detailed) STAR WARS figure on the pegs at TRU today. There's virtually no comparison. The STAR WARS line is the unstoppable juggernaut of the toy industry right now because of Hasbro's amazing ability to evolve its products.

In the end, I am of the viewpoint that a "custom 8 inch MEGO action figure" lends itself to be several different things to many different people.

And in many ways, wasn't that versatility one of the most magical things about MEGO and its products when they were still around?
              I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• spiderrogue
                new mego-er
                • Feb 3, 2008

yea, run them out...oh wait...nevermind...that would be me and a few others....

Comment

• megowgsh
                  Customego HoF Curator
                  • Nov 19, 2003

I believe when we started out on this Custom Mego Odyssey there were a limited number of resources and we were very restricted when it came to supplies, etc.

In the past ten years, things have completely evolved and hence so have the Custom Megos (and for the better might I add). I am one who professes to the "Megoesque" style, but still I have pushed those boundaries due to the evolution in reproduction accessories, fabric printing techniques, etc. etc.

What you are seeing now from the talents of Type3Toys, Black Knight, MegoSpidey, Spider Rogue, Tbolt and the like, is a natural evolution of the Mego action figure.

I honestly believe that if Mego were alive today, these would be the style of figures they would be producing. I mean, think about it, with the evolution in technology do you really think they would be making figures that look like the original Superman?

Come on now. Does anything today in the one piece molded plastic toy world even remotely resemble Pocket Heroes or Super Powers? No! So why would Megos?

Look at the latest Hasbro figures. Even look at the Dc 9" line or Famous Covers. That is where Mego would have been if it were still around.

Mego Customs have evolved and I think for the better of the hobby.

Kudos to the Evolutionaries!!!!!!
                  Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• drwhofan74
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 19, 2005

I personally make figures in both styles depending on the series. I really like the art of high-detailed figures, but on occasion I will do a WWMD (what would Mego do) figure. I started customizing by repainting existing figures in high detail. So that raises the question, is a repainted original Mego considered a Custom Mego? I just take the term Mego Custom as any custom, as Dave said, that uses a Mego body or replica as a base. The main distinguishing factors for me are the scale (7"-9") and the rubber band strung body, anything else is at the artist's discretion.
                    sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

• marbkwds
                      Da Bronx Mego Collector
                      • May 10, 2005

Hey Dave ,
                      I am always relaxed . That being said I guess I did get a little jolt seeing BlackKnight putting a Link to another thread that has been beaten like a dead Horse and had Nothing to do with this topic . As for everything else I think this was a decent disscusion and I thank everyone who posted ....... I guess maybe if for nothing else I was trying to spark some people to make some customs that look more like what Mego's did ........... Who knows it might have worked , Only time will tell .......... Roy

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

Roy, thanks for starting this thread which could easily spin out of control as it is such a hot button topic. Seeing custom Megos that look like they were hot out of the Mego factory from the 1970s is great for people who look upon Megos with nostalgia. I for one did not grow up with any Mego action figures, so I am not part of that camp. I must give my standing ovation, though, to the many customizers who push their work out of the Mego box. To see an action figure customized to the point where it looks like it could blink back at you just blows me away. But, that's just me.
                        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

Hey Dave ,
                          I am always relaxed . That being said I guess I did get a little jolt seeing BlackKnight putting a Link to another thread that has been beaten like a dead Horse and had Nothing to do with this topic .
                          I was going to leave this alone.... Nore do I wish to Argue with you on any sorta a Level. However with all do respect Bro,.. Are you that Ignorant that you see no simiarities with your Thread,.. inwhich that was discussed in the Thread I posted a Link to ? Or perhaps I am too ignorant to see the bigger complaint. But to me,.. your in diseray over NON Megoesque Customs on a Mego Fourm. That I kinda think goes Hand & Hand with the other thread.

Perhaps I shouldn't say this,.. But I will,... It probably wont get me very far,.. but I think I must. I get real burnt out of everyone out there that says "Ohh, well I wanted to make this how mego would have". Give me a break Man. A.} No One knows what Mego would have made. B.} 90% of the people that say that,.. say that because they don't know how to make a Better figure,.. so that "thier" escape. Sure there are Megoesque Pureists out there,.. like Austin or Leitner & They are able to Acheive Megoesque Customs to the Fullest of thier respective ability. But I strongly Believe that Statement is used so loosly in the fact that someone doesn't have the Ability to do Better. Why DO I say this you Ask ? Because I was one of them,.. & know of atleast several other who were as well. If your a "Pureist" too, then I ask that threads like this don't get started, & everyones customs should be respected to somesorta degree who is a member of this site like everyone else does. There are many More Non Megoesque customizers that like to share these day & be involved with the Hobby & This Forum Because of the Great Members of this site as well as the Great Members of the Custom section that some of us involve ourselves with,.. & for that.. I say "Shame On you" for Bringing this topic here.

Besides,.. if the Mego Company would have lasted today & have been over 35yrs old,.. they would look like Marvel Legends with no cloth,.. & perhaps have some Retro Doc Style figures every now & then.

There's about under 25 regular posters of Custom figures in this section of the Fourm. Ofcourse..Not counting of course anyone that wants to comment on someones Figure,.. or add this that & the other. People pour their Heart & soul into a figure. If you dislike seeing something,.. it's a click away from not commenting on something.

I guess maybe if for nothing else I was trying to spark some people to make some customs that look more like what Mego's did ........... Who knows it might have worked , Only time will tell .......... Roy
                          Well,.. you can start with yourself. I dunno... I don't remember seeing any Customs presented here from you,.. perhaps I overlooked them. If thats the case, then I am sorry,.. However I do always find entertainment outta people that want to Pitch or DICK-tate how something should be presented or Ran,.. However never offer anything themselves. So nows your chance to lead the charge,.. I am sure those "Megoesque Spandex" Suits you were Inquiring from SpiderRogue will Help you in your Quest.

It wasn't my intent to come off Brass,.. or like an Arse if you become offended by any of this,... or anyone else for that Matter. I just felt that since My name was called,.. I'd Answer. You gave your 10bucks worth. Well,.. Here's my 2cents.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Dave Mc
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 20, 2002

B.} 90% of the people that say that,.. say that because they don't know how to make a Better figure

That's kind of harsh, don't you think? It might be true in some cases, but there are several that like to keep it looking vintage and I don't think that 90% of them do it because they CAN'T to something more modern looking. I'm guessing this is just a little bit of anger seeping out at being named.

Jason does make a valid point though. All you have to do to see more pure mego content around here, is help out by contributing some. I'm not ragging on anyone with that statement, just saying if you think more of something is needed, then you should be helping to provide the more of whatever it is. The threads on the forum are dictacted by what the community itself provides. If the community isn't providing these things, there can't be more of them.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                              The DarkSide Customizer
                              • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                              B.} 90% of the people that say that,.. say that because they don't know how to make a Better figure

That's kind of harsh, don't you think? It might be true in some cases, but there are several that like to keep it looking vintage and I don't think that 90% of them do it because they CAN'T to something more modern looking. I'm guessing this is just a little bit of anger seeping out at being named.

... Yes you are a bit correct Dave. I was typing a bit too Fast. After thought on the Subject,.. I'd go with a lower Ratio. Many people do enjoy Megoesque figures,.. & Make them. However I do rarely see them Represented on the Forum these days, unless ofcourse if its clicking threw old threads. I appologise for that number & or most of that statement.
                              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• drwhofan74
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 19, 2005

I guess maybe if for nothing else I was trying to spark some people to make some customs that look more like what Mego's did ........... Who knows it might have worked , Only time will tell .......... Roy
                                It sure has. I decided to do my most recent series in the WWMD style, based on this thread.
                                sigpic"Sorry for the noise. My pet cricket has restless leg syndrome."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎