• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marbkwds
    Da Bronx Mego Collector
    • May 10, 2005

I am a bit confused ........

Hey all ,
    I am a bit confused ....... and before I say anything let me just say , There have been some AMAZING figures made and displayed here in CUSTOMEGO . That being said my confusion is about what custom Mego means , I would think that a custom being displayed here would or should be made to resemble a Mego or done as a figure that Mego should have made but shouldn't it look like a Mego ? I mean In no way do I want to take away anything from peoples abilities and or skills to make an AWESOME looking figure but if you take that figure and put it mid line in a line up of original Megos wouldn't alot of whats seen here look out of place . I just always thought that custom mego means what it says a custom made figure that looks like it could fit right into any of Megos lines of figures .......... Who knows maybe I am alone on this and then again maybe there are others who feel the same thing but just never thought to say anything about it , But this is a MEGO web-site and isn't anything else just off topic , Maybe there should be 2 places to post customs one place CUSTOMEGO for those customs made to look like a real Mego and another place for CUSTOMFIGURES that can be for any kind of custom that has nothing at all to resemble Megos ..... Well thats my thought and I would love to hear other peoples comments on this ......... Thanks for your time , Roy
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Some people go for the vintage Mego look, others go for a more realistic, detailed look, maybe what Mego would've done if they were still alive. No doubt Mego would've evolved and they might have paid more attention to detail. That's the look some customizers want in their work.
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• fallensaviour
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 28, 2006

I see what you are trying to say but in all actuality MEGO did make figures in many sizes from 3 3/4 inch,6 inch,8 inch,9 inch,12 inch so where would you draw the line?
      Customs only if the parts are complete and genuine MEGO with the exception of the head?
      Alot of people have improved the MEGO body for there customs such as MEGO may have done if still in production.
      I love them all.I try personally to stay in the realms of the type 2,8 inch MEGO like but that is my preference.
      Again I know what it is you are trying to say but like I said if you did that it would be a nightmare as you would need size specific customs then creating 5 or six more custom categories at the least.Just my two cents...
      “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• marbkwds
        Da Bronx Mego Collector
        • May 10, 2005

Yes , But mego is not around anymore and I just thought that by making a custom mego would be to make a figure that looks like it may be a Mego . If you make a figure that looks nothing like a Mego why would you want to display it on a Mego based web-site . There have been ALOT of really nice looking figures displayed here but have nothing to look like or resemble a mego and are being posted on a site that is pretty much dedicated to Mego . Roy

Comment

• Mr Havoc
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 27, 2008

Look at the Gorn and what people have done with the Hulk version of him. Is he not a Mego like custom because he looks real and not like a Klingon? I think we need to be careful about what we feel and think is a custom, and not to force what we feel on others. Sense we use Mego or Mego like parts on a custom I feel it is one. If you didnt use any parts of one then I guess what your talking about is true.

Comment

• spiderrogue
            new mego-er
            • Feb 3, 2008

ok...my ten cnets...
            i for one, understand what you are all saying..being as i dont do mego customs..i do the 9" stuff...so, yea..my stuff doesnt fit in here very well. and i realize that. but, the main reason that i post here, is to get some good exposure to my stuff....get help with things that i need help on....or suggestions/tips from all of you....

Comment

• Mr Havoc
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 27, 2008

I think that why most people are here and post here. I have found great help on here and now have started my first two customs. I will definitely post them here when I am done. Not to say look at me and what I did but to say thanks to all that helped and let them see what I made with their help.

Comment

• marbkwds
                Da Bronx Mego Collector
                • May 10, 2005

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                I see what you are trying to say but in all actuality MEGO did make figures in many sizes from 3 3/4 inch,6 inch,8 inch,9 inch,12 inch so where would you draw the line?
                Customs only if the parts are complete and genuine MEGO with the exception of the head?
                Alot of people have improved the MEGO body for there customs such as MEGO may have done if still in production.
                I love them all.I try personally to stay in the realms of the type 2,8 inch MEGO like but that is my preference.
                Again I know what it is you are trying to say but like I said if you did that it would be a nightmare as you would need size specific customs then creating 5 or six more custom categories at the least.Just my two cents...
                I think if you are making a 3 3/4 inch mego custom and your end result is a 5 inch figure that looks nothing like a Mego line figure then isn't it just a custom figure and not a custom Mego figure , To say that people are trying to look ahead to where mego would have went is to say that anything could be considered a Mego custom ........ Shouldn't there be some kind of line drawn when it comes to a MEGO CUSTOM ........ Maybe not ..... Coming soon my very own mego custom made using recycled products only cause if Mego were still alive today thats what they would be doing ...... Roy

Comment

• spiderrogue
                  new mego-er
                  • Feb 3, 2008

i agree(with mr. h)...i love to share my stuff...and i love to look at what you all can do...some amazing stuff on this site and some amazing customizers....
                  Last edited by spiderrogue; Apr 29, '08, 4:33 PM.

Comment

• marbkwds
                    Da Bronx Mego Collector
                    • May 10, 2005

Originally posted by spiderrogue
                    ok...my ten cnets...
                    i for one, understand what you are all saying..being as i dont do mego customs..i do the 9" stuff...so, yea..my stuff doesnt fit in here very well. and i realize that. but, the main reason that i post here, is to get some good exposure to my stuff....get help with things that i need help on....or suggestions/tips from all of you....
                    Dude , your Ironman really looks good , I think it is a fresh look at an Ironman figure , Do I think it is or looks like a Mego custom .... Nope . That Captain America that was posted recently looks so freakin Amazing like a $ 400.00 figure , Does it look like a Mego ........ Nope , Alls I am saying is there should be maybe 2 places to post customs ... Those that look like Megos and those that are just custom figures .......... Those GI Joe figures posted , Do they look like Megos ..... Yes sir ree bob .............. Roy

Comment

• Mr Havoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

Originally posted by marbkwds
                      I think if you are making a 3 3/4 inch mego custom and your end result is a 5 inch figure that looks nothing like a Mego line figure then isn't it just a custom figure and not a custom Mego figure , To say that people are trying to look ahead to where mego would have went is to say that anything could be considered a Mego custom ........ Shouldn't there be some kind of line drawn when it comes to a MEGO CUSTOM ........ Maybe not ..... Coming soon my very own mego custom made using recycled products only cause if Mego were still alive today thats what they would be doing ...... Roy
                      OK you say Mego is not here and for us to think they would have made a 5 inch figure is not a Mego. You then say I made one with all recycled parts and then you say if they were still here thats what they would be doing... I am a little confused, Are you the only one that would know what they might do if they were still here? You are saying, don't do that or this it is not a Mego but look what I do, its what they would do if they were still here. Sounds like you might be confused on who really knows and who don't. And to tell you the truth who cares.

Comment

• marbkwds
                        Da Bronx Mego Collector
                        • May 10, 2005

Originally posted by Mr Havoc
                        OK you say Mego is not here and for us to think they would have made a 5 inch figure is not a Mego. You then say I made one with all recycled parts and then you say if they were still here thats what they would be doing... I am a little confused, Are you the only one that would know what they might do if they were still here? You are saying, don't do that or this it is not a Mego but look what I do, its what they would do if they were still here. Sounds like you might be confused on who really knows and who don't. And to tell you the truth who cares.
                        Dude , My reference to my custom being made with all recycled things was a joke . If Mego were still going today they might not make figures at all but making a custom mego should at least look like a mego , That is all that I'm saying ........ I am sure that others feel the same as I do and maybe we'll see here . Roy

Comment

• spiderrogue
                          new mego-er
                          • Feb 3, 2008

anyone who wants to join a non mego site, i know of a small one....
                          i think that there are some good points being said...
                          who really knows what mego would have done if they were still around...they may have continued what they were doing or they may have adapted to the "demand" of something bigger...who knows? maybe they would look like the 9" stuff that i and a few others do, or maybe 12" stuff or even yet...smaller...that's part of the fun for all of us and making the customs the way that we want to...some many takes on them, it's pretty cool to sit back and watch what everyone does...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah everything isn't always "Megoesque" but 90% of the time the customs that are posted here fit into the "Mego" catergory in some way, shape or form. It's not an exact science for crying out loud. There's already too much forum-diversification nowadays anyway. I'd hate to have to look at two separate forums to see completed custom Megos. It's not like anyone's posting custom Marvel Legends, Kubricks or stuff like that.
                            Let's leave well enough alone, shall we?
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• spiderrogue
                              new mego-er
                              • Feb 3, 2008

^^i agree..
                              'nuff said...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎