X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neutron X
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 22, 2007

Super Joe Repair: Gotta love it!

I just tried the new and extremely easy Super Joe repair. I was skeptical, no way this would be worth my time. WRONG!!!!! It is easy and as quick as restringing a Mego figure. The key is the straw. It's not an ordinary straw but a Juice straw like Capri Sun ect. The kind of straw that punctures a plastic pouch. Surprised me that the figure stood on it's own! I'm very excited I thought this would be a huge pain but so easy if I had more straws I would put together a few more Super Joes tonight. Who ever came up with this repair deserves bookoo credit!!!!!

Sorry no pics yet. I was so excited I just had to post ASAP. I'll get some pics together to post soon!
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

is it poseable or just put together so it can stand there? I use the drill and pin method and although I would not recommend having a kid play with them, they are fully poseable again. add Zica hands and they good as new. post some pictures of what you did, I am really curious

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Is this the one where you hold the straws in place with plastitac? I've tried this method with mixed results.
      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• SAS-KY
        • Jun 12, 2014

We have a tutorial on this on the 3D Super Joe website.

All the figures pictured on the site have been repaired using this method and they are poseable as can bee seen in the photo section.

Steve

Comment

• Neutron X
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 22, 2007

Here are some pics of Super Joes put together. This is what I have so far. I could only find a straw and a half lying around. I would recommend having more straws so they can be longer. To be fair Luminos will take longer to repair due to the time it takes get all those little pieces out. Also the sides of hand pegs have to trimmed down to fit in Joe arms.

There are hard core Super Joe repairs out there with lots of cutting and redoing the joints. Great repairs for sure! I love seeing them but a little more time and effort than I am willing to commit to.
          3D Joes has posted this repair and I think it gets the Super Joes up and on the shelf again in minutes. Ready for the kids to play with? Ah no. Great for displaying figures that have been gathering dust sitting in a box for years? Yes! Good luck my friends!

Repair Hints: Put straw into smallest hole first(ex. elbow joint) then put into forearm it saves time.

A big Thank You!!! to 3-D Super Joes for posting repair.

Repaired with straws by edtime5, on FlickrStraw repair method by edtime5, on Flickr
          Last edited by Neutron X; Jan 19, '18, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• SAS-KY
            • Jun 12, 2014

Looks good. What did you use for the hands?

I have been using the hands from the Mattel Retro Ghostbusters figures for the human figures, and FTC hands for Darkon & the Shield, and Phantom Limb's hands for Luminos.

Steve

Comment

• Neutron X
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 22, 2007

The hands for Super Joe are gripping Big Jim hands. To me the closest hands I can find to original Super Joe. Mego hands look good but the Big Jim hands can grip and are flexible plastic. For Luminos the hands are Type "S" clear hands. Love the type "S" figures they come with 2 extra pair of hands, gripping and fists. Super Joe's hands need to be trimmed a little more and should fit tighter when done.

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
                Is this the one where you hold the straws in place with plastitac? I've tried this method with mixed results.
                Nope! I just used plain old straws no tac. I can see for long term maybe some plumbers tape on end to create extra friction. I liked that no drills, glue, or elastic were used. I came up with a repair solution cutting apart Lone Ranger figures and modifying the joints and putting them into Super Joe. I then found out that not all Lone Ranger figures have the same joint system! ARGHHHHH!!!! Unless you chop apart the Lone Rangers no way of knowing what joints you have since it's all heat sealed. My solution became waaaay to complicated. This one is simple and quick.
                Last edited by Neutron X; Jan 29, '18, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

the grip hands from Zica are almost a perfect match to the original and the wrist stem slides right in with no modification at all. of course, finding those hands at this point is very hard

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 28, 2013

I split my Joe and Luminous and partially the Shield over the holidays. I will take some pics when I decide how I will put them back together.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

this thread should be moved into the new Joe sub forums. maybe we should start tutorial threads on making repairs to these and to muscle body Joes

Comment

• Remco Monster
                        GLOWS in the Dark!
                        • May 3, 2006

I used a method similar to this years ago, but with wire. I currently have a couple Super Joes in parts, cant wait to try the straw method.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎