Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

BTW, I have a wildly eclectic musical taste. For example, I love bluegrass. I don’t know why, I just do.
    sigpic

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
      ^I'm being serious Hector. I didn't care for the rock music in Thor either. It doesn't fit the character.

The Black Panther is an African King, not some ghetto vigilante. He deserves an epic score reflective of his status and culture, not THIS.

I hate that particular hip hop track...so that one sucks....
      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

On the other hand...I think this one is boss...

sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

soundtrack aside, this movie is a pass for me, at least in theaters. I will check it out when it comes out on disc, but I really have no interest in it. I never knew the character when I was growing up and the movie just does not look appealing to me

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hector
            I hate that particular hip hop track...so that one sucks....
            Heh, yeah I admit I hated the one in the Pacific Rim 2 trailer too. So much so I never finished the trailer.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Would the sound track been better if they actually had real African style music for the jungle scenes and saved the Hollywood hip hop music for the city scenes?

I'll pass on this movie in the theaters, and wait till it's offered on the xfinity on-demand cable channel.

Comment

• Moxen
                Museum Patron
                • Nov 6, 2016

I will definitely go see this in theatres. I didn't know anything about Guardians of the Galaxy, but gave it a chance because Marvel. I'm in the same position here, so hopefully it goes as well as Guardians did.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  Why must every black character be associated with this type of music?
                  I'm very much looking forward to the film, but the music so far seems very out of place. That type of American Hip Hop associated with gang culture doesn't belong in a film about a Wakandan King, IMO.

I would have much preferred a more African themed tribal score...something majestic, befitting of a great ruler and warrior.

Thoughts?
                  I'm not trying to be insulting, but I think you're just a bit out of touch with contemporary music. Please take a look at any top 10 album list of 2017. Kendrick Lamar, Vince Staples, and Run the Jewels are all over those lists - often in the top spots. Check them out and maybe check out some articles with them to find out what they're about because I think your idea of what hip-hop represents is a bit narrow.

I think you're views on how contemporary African (and African-American) people want to be represented are a tad narrow too. Wakanda is a suppose to be a contemporary cosmopolitan technological superpower - it's a completely new way to represent an African nation in a major motion picture. In fact, I don't think that's something we've ever seen in a movie before. Using "tribal" or traditional African music would be old fashion and out-of-touch, in my opinion.

Comment

• toothaction
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 15, 2017

Very nicely stated, Brazoo. I've been wracking my brain to figure out how to address this without coming off as condescending, and I think you've successfully given voice to the majority of my concerns raised by this dialog. Thank you!
                    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Brazoo
                      I'm not trying to be insulting, but I think you're just a bit out of touch with contemporary music. Please take a look at any top 10 album list of 2017. Kendrick Lamar, Vince Staples, and Run the Jewels are all over those lists - often in the top spots. Check them out and maybe check out some articles with them to find out what they're about because I think your idea of what hip-hop represents is a bit narrow.

I think you're views on how contemporary African (and African-American) people want to be represented are a tad narrow too. Wakanda is a suppose to be a contemporary cosmopolitan technological superpower - it's a completely new way to represent an African nation in a major motion picture. In fact, I don't think that's something we've ever seen in a movie before. Using "tribal" or traditional African music would be old fashion and out-of-touch, in my opinion.
                      I wasn't trying to be insulting or offensive either. Before I saw a single frame of film for the trailer, I KNEW it was going to be accompanied by hip hop music, and I was right. Why? Because he's a black character, and that's the go to default music 99% of the time. I'm not the one perpetuating the stereotype here. Why couldn't the Black Panther have a traditional score like Captain America, Thor, Dr. Strange, etc.? It's a legitimate question. Any good composer could create an orchestral score featuring traditional African motifs...perhaps tribal wasn't the best choice of words. I was thinking of something similar to the score for The Phantom, composed by David Newman.
                      Last edited by enyawd72; Jan 19, '18, 2:38 PM.

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

I don't think you were trying to be insulting - I believe the problem with the question you're asking is that your outlook misses the point. What I'm trying to suggest is that some of the biggest, most relevant, and critically celebrated music is being used in this movie and you're narrowly focused on the genre "hip-hop" like it's all the same thing.

The soundtrack is apparently curated by Kendrick Lamar, who's last album was considered the #1 album on every best of list I can recall for 2017.

I guess for me if I have to try to sum things up in one point it might be something like this: This is a big blockbuster movie prominently helmed by young black people (ages 20 - 30) - a pretty rare thing. Wouldn't the people making this know how they want to be represented more than white middle-aged dudes like us?
                        Last edited by Brazoo; Jan 20, '18, 3:11 AM.

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

Also - you're kinda talking about the soundtrack and the score like they're the same thing. The music in the trailer isn't necessarily the score. IMDb credits Ludwig Göransson with the movie's score - and it's likely we haven't heard a lot of it yet in the trailers.

Marvel has been sourcing pop music for trailers for nearly every one of their movies more and more - especially after "Guardians of the Galaxy".

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Good stuff...
                            sigpic

Comment

• jimbutsu
                              Memory *is* RAM!
                              • Apr 11, 2002

Originally posted by Brazoo
                              In fact, I don't think that's something we've ever seen in a movie before.
                              I don't know, dude, Zamunda was pretty nice...
                              "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Moxen
                                I will definitely go see this in theatres. I didn't know anything about Guardians of the Galaxy, but gave it a chance because Marvel. I'm in the same position here, so hopefully it goes as well as Guardians did.
                                You hit the nail on the head.

I NEVER bought one single copy of Guardians of the Galaxy. But once I saw the flick, it became my favorite Marvel movie. BTW, ironically, the movie plays a lot of Star-Lord’s cassette hits, rock, soul, etc...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎