Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU movie allegedly to start filming this April for a December 2019 release.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JWLJN
    Veteran Member
    • May 7, 2013

I think he means this monstrosity shown here. Ugh.

-J\/\/
    http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Oh for crying out loud...why even bother?

I'll stick to my beloved 1987 movie, flaws and all. It'll be light years ahead of this steaming turd.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

While I hold out very low expectations for this film, I do wonder who they could possibly cast in the title role.

Prediction: the main character will be referred to as Adam almost exclusively (except for some passing reference of him as a "big scrapping He-Man" or some such), following the Comic Book Movies Don't Use Codenames trope.

Comment

• mego
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 16, 2012

I think it's also important for the filmmakers to realize that MOTU is a storyline for kids. It always was and should remain. If you darken it up too much, the entire thing crumbles because at it's core, its a simple, fun story. It certainly could really use a little tightening up but there doesn't need a lot of depth added. It's got a great, colorful cast of characters battling for control of a colorful universe. Just give us that.

Comment

• Teemu
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 15, 2010

If I was making this film, the first 20 mins of the film would be an interlude featuring a battle between the Giants, Tytus and Megator, fighting over/protecting castle grayskull

Characters featured would be (in all their "glory" in correct outfits as close as possible)

He-man
            Teela
            Man at Arms
            Man E Faces
            Stratos
            Fisto
            Ram Man
            Battle Cat
            Orko ( the ja-jar binks annoying character)

Skeletor
            Beast Man
            Evil Lyn
            Tri-klops
            Trap Jaw
            Clawful
            Mer-man
            Jitsu

Featuring Castle Grayskull w/ Sorceress, Wind Raider's, Sly sled's, Battle Ram, and Roton's

Setting up for the sequel bringing in the Evil Horde take over (Hordak,Grizzlor,Leech,Mantenna,Modulok and more) and a possible team up with He-man/skeletor, until the betrayal later on setting up the 3rd film in it's trilogy. (MOTU'S Empire strikes back)

Featuring new additions- Mekaneck,Buzz-off, Webstor Rio blast, Stinkor and Two-bad

The 3rd film brings in the Snake Men for the final battle and conclusion.

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

This is a funny thread to read. MOTU is going to get made and you can thank the Netflix She-Ra reboot.

For Mattel, a MOTU movie series is a licensing boon because they own it outright, but they don't want to finance they're own productions ala Marvel. That's too much risk, so they license the film rights hoping someone does the yeoman's work for them. But to get a studio to greelight MOTU, Matty needs to prove the brand has modern value, which hasn't happened. At the same time, Robot Chicken obliterated the image - with the key demo - to the point where Matty gave up caring and let Geico and Honda jump on board the lampoon train.

To make it harder, MOTU is at Sony, a studio that is constantly the talk of being merged/sold and owns weak ip so they need to license from outside partners.

This is a good article to understand rights swapping, as seen through the movement of Green Hornet. https://deadline.com/2016/11/the-gre...ee-1201854807/

...but since the bust of the original Spidey reboot and Green Hornet, they've become hugely risk-adverse. Then when other studios strike out with similar ip value - ala Dark Universe - it creates more apprehension.

But then Netflix comes along and reboots She-Ra. I'd bet Sony thought they had the She-Ra rights within the MOTU umbrella and learned otherwise.

This now leaves Sony with a choice, drop the MOTU rights or try and piggyback on the brand revival Netflix will bring in 2018. Sony knows though if they drop the rights, Netflix will pick it up and move quickly thanks to the success of Bright.

At some point, Goyer makes his pitch and of everyone involved with MOTU at Sony, he does have the best track record. Within the industry, Marvel credits him for making them a bankable ip thanks to Blade, and he was the one who set up the TDK trilogy.

As for a change in design, don't blame Goyer, blame Mattel. Mattel wants someone to bank a huge movie so they can reap the licensing whilrwind. A studio's ROI is now half-built on ancillary markets, namely licensed products. The only way for Sony to get a percentage of those ancillary dollars is if they licensing is based on designs created by their production.

In other words, if Sony made a 1:1 MOTU film, Matty owns everything. It's akin to the Lucasfilm/Fox lesson of Star Wars. All Sony would have is the master print and in today's digital world, that value has plummeted. To make it worse, if the franchise exploded in popularity, Matty could pull a Marvel and demand a larger percentage of the profits or else they won't license for synergy marketing.

The best bet would have been for Mattel to start their own production arm like Hasbro has sorta, kinda done. I've said for years the smart play was co-produce with WWE to share production costs and pipeline talent directly into roles. They could have had Cena as He-Man, Batista as Skeletor, Austin as Man-At-Arms etc...that would've brought Arnold and Rock for cameos and hit the right tone of adventure and absurdity.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap

For Mattel, a MOTU movie series is a licensing boon because they own it outright,
                They actually don't and the rights are really kinda complicated. Mattel sold the rights to Hallmark in the 90s. Now DreamWorks/Classic Media owns the rights to the property. Also, Masters of the Universe and She-Ra are two separate licenses.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  They actually don't and the rights are really kinda complicated. Mattel sold the rights to Hallmark in the 90s. Now DreamWorks/Classic Media owns the rights to the property. Also, Masters of the Universe and She-Ra are two separate licenses.
                  Filmation library rights were sold to Hallmark, but anything created by Filmation was/is owned by Mattel. Mattel could have produced Filmation-based MOTU merch anytime, but they didn't want to pay royalties. Same reason applies to the new Sony/Matty MOTU movie designs. They'll be co-owned and no one else can lay a claim on royalties.

As for She-Ra, the cartoon remake rights would reside with Dreamworks, but the overall ip still resides with Mattel. Much like the DC deal, Matty paid Filmation for the original production and in return attained the rights. Since She-Ra was created as an off-shoot of He-Man it's falls under the MOTU umbrella as a subsidiary. If DW tried to move on a live-action project, Sony could block it.

It may be a case of Matty being surprised by the Netflix announcement and wanting Sony to move ahead on MOTU. I haven't found a press release from Mattel championing the Netflix show.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
                    Filmation library rights were sold to Hallmark, but anything created by Filmation was/is owned by Mattel.
                    Hallmark already owned the Filmation Library by that point. Mattel then sold Hallmark the entertainment rights to the MOTU property in the 90s. DreamWorks/Universal flat out owns all of She-Ra. They also own the Filmation versions of MOTU characters. Mattel retains a limited co-ownership of the original MOTU toy designs. It's really complicated.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Here's a long thread from Action Figure Insider were Toy Guru of Matty Collector fame discusses the complicated rights issues of MOTU.

I also remember an interview with Brian Flynn of Super7 mentioning the rights difficulty of who exactly owns what between Mattel and Universal/Classic Media.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Here's a long thread from Action Figure Insider were Toy Guru of Matty Collector fame discusses the complicated rights issues of MOTU.

I also remember an interview with Brian Flynn of Super7 mentioning the rights difficulty of who exactly owns what between Mattel and Universal/Classic Media.
                        Interesting thread. The one at He-Manorg is more focused. Here's what I can add. A few years before I officially joined the Museum and was simply a lurker, (about '07-08), I was working with a VC group who had an arm in video game financing. From my diligence, I got them interested in acquiring the Classic Media/Entertainment Rights hodgepodge as that company was a licensing clearinghouse and the DVD market was in full implosion. My interest was in the Dell/Gold Key split from '01.

I knew Filmation was apart of the library, but at that time the MOTU film rights were at WB via Cannon, a deal that predates Hallmark. Ent Rights (Filmation owners via Hallmark buyout in '04) was bought by Boom Media in April of '09. WB passed on MOTU in Sept '09 and the film rights reverted back to Matty, who then went to Sony.

So whatever Hallmark ownership and hush-hush NDA TGuru was referring to didn't include the film rights to MOTU as those were already betrothed to Canon, most likely in a similar deal Marvel had for Spidey and Cap at that time. For example, if Sony ever passes on producing a Spidey flick, the rights go straight to Marvel, not Disney as the Sony deal is still based on the bones of Canon/Marvel circa '85 or so.

I'd bet Matty sold their MOTU Filmation interest to Hallmark in the late 90's which would explain the split with POP, where I thought it fell as a subsidiary.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Universal owns the entertainment rights to MOTU. Once Sony's movie right run out it goes back to Universal.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Universal owns the entertainment rights to MOTU. Once Sony's movie right run out it goes back to Universal.
                            It's a non sequitur to what I wrote, but yes now they apparently will. That wasn't the case before 2012 and more likely not until 2016 via NBCU purchase.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, the rights timeline is fairly complicated. But Mattel has not had the entertainment rights to MOTU since they sold it to Hallmark in the mid 90s.

As far as I can tell it breaks down like this:

Hallmark sold the rights in 2004 to Entertainment rights. Boomerang Media bought out Entertainment Rights in 2009. They then rebranded under the name Classic Media. DreamWorks bought Classic Media in 2012. Universal then finally got the rights when they bought DreamWorks in 2016. It's kinda nuts how complicated it is

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Geez, I had no idea Mattel didn't own MOTU lock stock and barrel. Mattel has made some really questionable business decisions over the years, haven't they?

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎