Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU movie allegedly to start filming this April for a December 2019 release.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

I did like my invented adventures before the cartoon, but I'd go with The Filmation version. I actually had Castle Grayskull before any of the figures, it seemed to me that giants lived there.

The problem with the transfer of the medium into a movie is that we love the original artwork, overall look and sounds of the animated work.

A G.I. Joe film can never be as cool as the G.I. Joe A Real American Hero cartoon, for instance. There is no way to duplicate the music at the right moment, or use the voices or sound effects in the same way and in the same combination. No actor or actress could ever be as good as the original artist's drawing of the character. Even if they would go with a computer animated 3D model movie, it would be under par big time, no matter the tricks and details, or even if they can recreate the lines, the colors, the uniforms, gear, weapons and equipment in the right places, it would still appear distorted and out of place.

It is the overall art, drawings, tone and feel that draws me into an animated series.

Robotech (live-action) would turn out looking like a Star Trek copy with big robots.

A live-action Thundercats movie would be disappointing, imho. There is no way to honor the actual art.

Even if you CGI in cat hair and cat muscles over top of the person's performance, there is no way the Thundercats' characters could be enjoyable as Season 1 of Thundercats. It is too distinctive and iconic.

Books, on the other hand, are mostly more open to the reader's interpretation, and even if the book covers and other artwork also make impressions, the stories and characters can be better portrayed & represented properly in a live-action movie. Each reader has their own vision of the book's world, and it is far easier to accept a filmmaker's vision of a book, (that is not a graphic novel), and more components of the book can be re-created in a new style easier than trying to make it from material that is mostly based on visual stimulus and visual picture art forms, designs, patterns and images.

He-man and The Master's of the Universe, might have a increased chance of success, though. Being that some of the toys and drawings are a little more easier to adapt into costumes to fit real humans and the toys transformed into props, sets and life size vehicle representations.

I'd say it has a good chance by using the bright colors as mentioned as well as using every quality of the Filmation cartoon as a guideline.
    Last edited by Klosterheim; Jan 17, '18, 5:45 AM.

Comment

• acrovader
      Career Member
      • Jan 19, 2011

I remember reading some time ago MOTU was going to get the 'LOTR treatment'.. whatever that means. Three-hour movie??
      I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        What was the time between toys and the cartoon?
        Not long.

The toys hit in 82 with the four original mini comics. The mini comics depicted He-Man as tribal caveman/barbarian and Eternia as a sparsely populated post apocalyptic waste land with remnants of ancient technology. By the time DC comics mini series was released in late 82 the four original mini comics story line had already been phased out. In the new DC comics continuity He-Man was Prince Adam (son of King Randor and human astronaut Queen Marlena), Cringer was Battlecat and Eternia was now a medieval but scientifically advanced culture. The Filmation cartoon was released in 83 and refined the story even further and became a pop culture phenomenon.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Not long.

The toys hit in 82 with the four original mini comics. The mini comics depicted He-Man as tribal caveman/barbarian and Eternia as a sparsely populated post apocalyptic waste land with remnants of ancient technology.
          Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority but that concept was the one that truly resonated with me as an eleven year old. It still kind of does now.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
            Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority but that concept was the one that truly resonated with me as an eleven year old.
            There's no version of MOTU I dislike. I think the original mini comic story books are very cool. But the Prince Adam version resonated with me more than the caveman version. When MOTU evolved from a Yor type of story to more of a Flash Gordon sci-fi sword and sorcery one it really took off.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

There's no version of MOTU I dislike. I think the original mini comic story books are very cool. But the Prince Adam version resonated with me more than the caveman version. When MOTU evolved from a Yor type of story to more of a Flash Gordon sci-fi sword and sorcery one it really took off.
              Weird, you mentioned Yor, I watched it last night.

I can't argue that the friendlier interpretation of the cartoon wasn't tantamount to its success. I did buy the DVD for my son when he was five and he really enjoyed it.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Goyer posted a pic on his instagram page of what is supposed to be concept art of Teela's Battle suit in the reboot. It looks like some sort of Xenomorph hybrid from Aliens. Good grief.

In December of 2017, David S. Goyer (Batman Begins) was announced to be taking over as the director of the upcomming Masters of the Universe movie. David’s take on the He-Man franchise is rumored to [...]

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

Goyer posted a pic on his instagram page of what is supposed to be concept art of Teela's Battle suit in the reboot. It looks like some sort of Xenomorph hybrid from Aliens. Good grief.

Yeah, I thought something like that too.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

April is the supposed to be the start of filming and they are still in pre-production art stage. No cast, no sets, no costumes or props made, etc. I think there is a very slim chance they can get this done before the rights mercifully run out at the end of 2019. This would be Jem movie bad. A reboot so epically terrible it would actually damage the property. Characters like Batman, Superman and Spider-Man can survive a couple of bad movies. If this actually gets released it will be the last MOTU movie.

Comment

• ProfessorArturoLived
                      • Sep 22, 2017

It takes a rare item (Dark Knight trilogy, the Hoff's Nick Fury) to overcome the stink of Goyer. There has been nothing that I can find he has touched that has NOT been tarnished.
                      It is true that He-Man was just after my prime toy/cartoon age, but I am disappointed for my younger brother.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Oh gosh Goyer's behind this? He's all wrong for this property IMHO.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                          He's all wrong for this property IMHO.
                          Nightmarishly wrong. He has a real Xenomorph fetish. Remember the Giger-esque Man of Steel Kryptonian Battle Armor? Now MOTU gets them too. I wish he would just make an Alien movie and stop shoe horning them into everything else.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Nightmarishly wrong. He has a real Xenomorph fetish. Remember the Giger-esque Man of Steel Kryptonian Battle Armor? Now MOTU gets them too. I wish he would just make an Alien movie and stop shoe horning them into everything else.
                            yeah, cenobites for everyone!

Comment

• Bravestarr
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Mar 26, 2017

Pre production photos out yeah im out

Comment

• enyawd72
                                Maker of Monsters!
                                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Bravestarr