Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU movie allegedly to start filming this April for a December 2019 release.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
    I agree that the cartoon resonates well with the general public but i have met fans who despise the cartoon, just wondering if that was a big thing or an isolated group,
    It's a very vocal minority.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

If they despise the cartoon, then why even be a fan of MOTU? Its an integral part of it, and put it on the map.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Ah ok, I really didn;t have a bearing on that one.

I kind of agree that the worry here would be if the director was somehow embarrassed to be making a He-Man film.

That's how i felt watching the GI Joe movie.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          If they despise the cartoon, then why even be a fan of MOTU? Its an integral part of it, and put it on the map.
          well, it was a really nice looking toy line with little booklets and a DC comic before that cartoon. I remember thinking it was pretty neat stuff then when the cartoon rolled around I thought "Oh no this is for little kids" and changed my tune.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I kind of agree that the worry here would be if the director was somehow embarrassed to be making a He-Man film.

That's how i felt watching the GI Joe movie.
            Yes! Exactly. I felt the same way. They had obvious contempt for the source material.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jimbutsu
              Memory *is* RAM!
              • Apr 11, 2002

I feel like some of the problem with these properties is how bad the shows were by adult measures. I've watched some MOTU, Transformers, and MASK (which was *exceptionally* painful) recently, and they just don't work the way they used to when you're in your forties. What's weird is that my affection for the characters and the toys is completely undiminished, which gives me hope that they can still find a foothold with this stuff if they focus on telling stories that will resonate with the segment of the audience that holds the purse strings AND still feels connected to the properties.
              "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

I have only seen GI Joe RAH recently. I didn’t have expectations. Nothing that I took seriously, but it was still fun for me. It held up well. I had no interest in the recent GI Joe movies. They have no resemblance to the source material. What a shame.

So, I agree, keep MOTU true to the original source material. Keep it colorful and relatively light. Have great battles with slight camp. The similar to 1980’s Flash Gordon sounds perfect!

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                  I feel like some of the problem with these properties is how bad the shows were by adult measures. I've watched some MOTU, Transformers, and MASK (which was *exceptionally* painful) recently, and they just don't work the way they used to when you're in your forties.
                  I;d have never gone back to many of my childhood saturday morning faves of the 1970s if i didn't have children.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    The cartoon haters are the hipsters of MOTU fandom. Just a small group of people trying to act cool. The "I liked MOTU before the cartoon came along and took it all mainstream." people.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

The cartoon is definitely where to start. Like it or not, that's the lore. Ignoring it means ignoring the heart of the franchise. And I agree with Werewolf that it's a vocal minority that are Filmation haters.

Now, even as a kid, I sometimes felt the toon took some of the bite out of the wicked-looking box art and Alfredo Alcala comic art, but it was still a lot of fun, and really built a pretty cohesive world of characters.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I never bought a vintage MOTU figure, and yet I won't let a Christmas pass without watching the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas special.

I agree, the cartoon is what propelled it into stratospheric pop culture status.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          Now, even as a kid, I sometimes felt the toon took some of the bite out of the wicked-looking box art and Alfredo Alcala comic art, but it was still a lot of fun, and really built a pretty cohesive world of characters.

Chris
                          I love the early box art but there wasn't really a clear story, at the time, and the artists working on it didn't even know which side all the characters were on. That's why you see stuff like Beastman teaming up with He-Man and Teela attacking Skeletor on the Grayskull box art.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I've often wondered if my aversion to 80s toy line cartoons wasn't a combination of my age and the idea of not liking being told what to do.

Almost every toy line I loved as a kid gave you a very bare bones narrative (ie This is the good guy, this is the bad guy) and you really could do the rest.

Comment

• Bravestarr
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Mar 26, 2017

So, let me poll you guys because i;m curious.

What is the Ideal MOTU movie for fans?
                              based on the filmation cartoon?
                              the booklets?
                              the 2003 toon?
                              something completely new?

Totally curious, He-Man isn't quite as linear as GI Joe or transformers, so i wonder if you're all on the same page.

The Filmation cartoon with the 1987 film mixed in

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
                                The cartoon haters are the hipsters of MOTU fandom. Just a small group of people trying to act cool. The "I liked MOTU before the cartoon came along and took it all mainstream." people.
                                Oh, like people that hated on REM after they got a big contract with Warner Bros. Lol. What was the time between toys and the cartoon? I was too old for either so I don't remember that well, didn't seem very long, tho.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎