Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOTU movie allegedly to start filming this April for a December 2019 release.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

MOTU movie allegedly to start filming this April for a December 2019 release.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Sony's Masters of the Universe revival is set to commence shooting this spring to meet its scheduled release date of December 2019.

There's been talks of a MOTU movie reboot for ages.

David S. Goyer is now threatening to direct. Because he couldn't just do depressing DC movies. He, obviously, had to do a joyless and grim dark MOTU movie too. But wait there's more! It's rumored Skeletor won't even be in it. Brilliant! Honestly, this would depress me more if I thought there was a chance in heck this will actually get done before Sony's rights run out at the end of 2019.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jan 16, '18, 12:10 AM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh for Pete's sake. I have never understood why anyone would take a licensed property and mangle it so that you might as well come up with your own idea and do that as a film.

Let's hope this dies on the vine again.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

how could they do a He-Man movie without Skeletor. hopefully that is just a rumor

Comment

• Bravestarr
        Museum Super Collector
        • Mar 26, 2017

Hope it's done right still love the1987 version

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

He-Man should be a Flash Gordon-esque romp... embrace all the craziness of the property and have fun with it (without too much winking at the camera).

And throw in a post-credits scene where He-Man shares a lesson... "In today's story..."

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
            He-Man should be a Flash Gordon-esque romp... embrace all the craziness of the property and have fun with it
            Spot on.

That reminds me, MOTU is often described as Star Wars mixed with Conan but it actually has far more in common with Flash Gordon than SW. Just look at the designs of many of the iconic MOTU vehicles like the Wind Raider, Battle Ram and Talon Fighter. I don't see any SW influences in those but I definitely see some FG.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

I cannot imagine that this would be made in a way that I'd enjoy it or that it'd bear any resemblance to the He-man I loved as a kid. They'd ruin it like they ruined Lone Ranger, CHiPS, Superman and others.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Because the two Gi Joe films were so much fun? Haven't they learned to stick close to what made the characters and aesthetics so endearing?

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

If I had the money I'd finance a MOTU movie on my own and it would be the greatest thing ever seen by human eyes.

Somebody with vision needs to realize MOTU is a cinematic goldmine. It has the best elements of everything...superheroes, sci-fi, horror and fantasy. Colorful characters, an epic battle between good and evil...it's all there, just waiting for the right person to bring it to life. But it HAS to be fun. It HAS to be colorful. Imagine Skeletor's army advancing on Castle Grayskull in gigantic red and black Spydor robots...Roton vehicles cutting down everything in their path. The ancient greenish castle framed against a stormy purple sky...basically the entire film should look like a moving Earl Norem painting.

Spydor.jpg

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

So, let me poll you guys because i;m curious.

What is the Ideal MOTU movie for fans?
                    based on the filmation cartoon?
                    the booklets?
                    the 2003 toon?
                    something completely new?

Totally curious, He-Man isn't quite as linear as GI Joe or transformers, so i wonder if you're all on the same page.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy

the booklets?
                      the 2003 toon?

Totally curious, He-Man isn't quite as linear as GI Joe or transformers, so i wonder if you're all on the same page.
                      See my post above yours.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                        HULK SMASH!
                        • Apr 3, 2010

the booklets?
                        the 2003 toon?

My preference: Primarily the original mini-comics, with some elements of the 2002 reboot cartoon. And maybe a little of what DC have done with the comic book license in recent years.
                        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

I'm open to wiggle room as far as tone goes, but character designs need to be colorful, just like Enyawd72 posted. I can only take characters like Skeletor, Stinkor, and Ram Man so seriously. So I'd err on the side of tongue in cheek, with a heavy dose of melodrama, humor, and grand scale awesomeness.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

It has to use Filmation as the starting point. It's the most popular, iconic and mainstream recognizable version. When the majority of people think of He-Man and Skeletor, they picture the Filmation He-Man shouting "I have the power!" in John Erwin's booming voice and Alan Oppenheimer's sarcastic cackling Skeletor. They don't use the early mini comic versions in commercials, like the Geico one, to hit people with nostalgia. The Filmation MOTU is part of pop culture.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I agree that the cartoon resonates well with the general public but i have met fans who despise the cartoon, just wondering if that was a big thing or an isolated group,
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎