X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I'd like to see that, Falstaff. I have the Lone Ranger Dodge City and I really regret that Mego cancelled their Western playset.
    I'll get on setting it up and making photographs. The Dodge City is a nice set. The recent posting about Gabriel's Lassie line showed the farmhouse for it, which would make a good display piece for either Gabriel or Marx western figures; I've thought about getting the Waltons general store for Megos. Megos also fit fairly well on the Hal Neednam Stuntman set that Gabriel produced (the Needham Stuntman was 6").
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Kenner Death Star Space Station, closely followed by the Mego Comic Action Heroes Fortress of Solitude.

Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jan 14, '18, 7:30 AM.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

We didn’t get many playsets in our family. I don’t know if it was price point or the fact that I had three siblings but my Dad made us a “dollhouse” for our Hall of Justice. Lots of carpet and wallpaper samples for the heroes to chill in, and of course a garage for the Batmobile. So yeah, pretty much my favorite was homemade.

Later, for Kenner Star Wars, we made a rebel base with lots of wooden computer consoles. We’d cut pictures out of the Kenner catalogues to make the displays on the rebel computer screens.

If I had to choose a favorite store bought, I guess I’d choose the Droid Factory (incredible play value when there was no Lego Star Wars.

I also liked my Well of the Souls for Indiana Jones. All those little plastic snakes and the golden ark itself were superb!

Comment

• LordMudd
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 22, 2011

Major Matt Mason space station. I had everything except Captain Lazer because he wasn't scale and even then I was big on scale. I also had all of the Outer Space Men as aliens for my Matt Mason crew to encounter. There was a local grocery store and we were real close friends with the owners. One day they had a tower display for shampoo or something they were taking down and my mom ask what they were doing with it. They were going to throw it out so she ask if she could have it and they loaded it in the car and it came home with us and my space station went on top of it and that was my moon base.

CCC.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Hedji
            I also liked my Well of the Souls for Indiana Jones. All those little plastic snakes and the golden ark itself were superb!
            That was a great one. I saw some terrific Clash of the Titans customs that used the Well of Souls as Medusa's temple.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i would have to say the Mego enterprise. just had hours of endless play. I went through a good number of them too, LOL

the Death star from kenner was also awsome

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

I would agree on both, the Mego Enterprise and the Star Wars Death Star. I saved up Christmas money and bought the Death Star, and still have it.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Spyweb007
                  Persistent Member
                  • Apr 18, 2006

I loved the Mego Star Trek Mission to Gamma playset as well as the Planet of the Apes Forbidden Zone, both had a lot of play value and the Trek one I used with the 8" and smaller 3.75" figures.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 23, 2013

#1 Kenner Death Star Space Station Star Wars Playset
                    ----------------------
                    #2 Marx Navarone Mountain Playset
                    #3 Castle Grayskull
                    #4 Defiant Space Shuttle Complex (even if it was much later than the others)
                    #5 Terror Drome with Firebat
                    #6 Mego Star Trek: The Motion Picture U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge Playset
                    #7 Back Yard, ha!, ha!
                    #8 Front Porch in Winter, ho, ho, ho!

------------------------------------------------------

Werewolf, did you also have Point Dread, with the Talon Fighter, to attach to Castle Grayskull? I thought it was a nice addition.

---------------
                    Images are from the internet-
                    Point Dread Talon Fighter.jpg

Marx Navarone.jpg

Naverone Mountain Playset.jpg

1987 Defiant Space Shuttle Complex.jpg

Terror Drome.jpg

Comment

• Falstaff13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                      #3 Castle Grayskull

Werewolf, did you also have Point Dread, with the Talon Fighter, to attach to Castle Grayskull? I thought it was a nice addition.
                      Oh I didn't even think of these as separate when I was reading the names. Once I got Point Dread, it remained permanently on top of Grayskull (after all, it's just the "loss" of one turret to have that cool addition). The base, with its "computers" in the stone, became many things as needed in play, including a variation TARDIS at one point.
                      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Castle Grayskull...and as awesome as the original one was, the MOTU Classics version has to be the greatest playset ever made. It's huge. Everything is sculpted, tons of features, incredible paint apps and weathering.

To see it in person is really something.
                        I think MOTU in general had all the best playsets. Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, the Fright Zone, Eternia...all were amazing.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                          • Apr 3, 2007

I'd have to say the GI Joe AT HQ and the Mego Star Trek Enterprise. But as a child I didn't have any playsets. I had cardboard boxes, and 2 plant tables stacked on top of each other. But someday, the Mission to Gamma VI playset will be MINE!
                          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• acrovader
                            Career Member
                            • Jan 19, 2011

USS Defiant. Best play set from an American toy line.

Takara's Microman Build Base is awesome, too.

Also:
                            Robotech SDF-1
                            Madelman 2050 Basertron
                            Robo Force Fortress of Steele
                            Last edited by acrovader; Jan 15, '18, 1:19 PM.
                            I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• acrovader
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 19, 2011

Oh, can't forget Kenner Death Star.
                              I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

Castle Grayskull and SP Hall of Justice for me. If the HOJ had been white instead of yellow, it may have totally obliterated Grayskull in my mind. They fight back and forth as it is. I still have both of them from my childhood.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎