• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Honestly and truly?
    A plain cardboard box.

I could make a castle, the Hall of Justice, a GI Joe fort...my imagination was limitless. I remember making many castles simply by cutting a drawbridge into the side of a regular brown box. I'd spend hours drawing stonework and gargoyles on the parapets in crayon.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by B-Lister
      Honestly and truly?
      A plain cardboard box.
      I was about to say the classic Mego Batcave for all the play I got out of it, but then your post reminded me of another "playset" that got much more play- the exposed roots of a big tree on the corner of our apartment complex. I don't know how many years after we left that neighborhood that the tree remained standing. It was on the side of a hill sloping to a busy intersection below. The side facing the road had the tree's roots sticking out of the ground and curving downward. I used to pretend it was all kinds of settings from a swamp to an alien world. My Megos would fight in and around the roots. Decades later, I viisted the property and not only as the tree gone, but so was the hill. It's not a much softer incline, leading me to believe the tree took most of the soil with it when it was removed or fell.
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

I'm going to be unpopular but I'm not a playset guy they are hard to display and take up too much room.
        That being said the mego Batman and USS Starship Enterprise bridge are tops for me.

Maybe one day I'll add the toy biz Batcave and 1982 Castle Grayskull, price and room permitting.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

The Mego Star Trek Enterprise Bridge, it was pretty much the only one I really wanted since I had all of the Trek figures except for Lt. Uhura.

And yes, I made a sick bay for Dr. McCoy and a brig from a cardboard shoe box for the Klingon and the other Trek aliens.

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by Wee67
            I was about to say the classic Mego Batcave for all the play I got out of it, but then your post reminded me of another "playset" that got much more play- the exposed roots of a big tree on the corner of our apartment complex. I don't know how many years after we left that neighborhood that the tree remained standing. It was on the side of a hill sloping to a busy intersection below. The side facing the road had the tree's roots sticking out of the ground and curving downward. I used to pretend it was all kinds of settings from a swamp to an alien world. My Megos would fight in and around the roots. Decades later, I viisted the property and not only as the tree gone, but so was the hill. It's not a much softer incline, leading me to believe the tree took most of the soil with it when it was removed or fell.
            I remember as a kid, Toy Biz's Marvel Superheroes line had just launched.
            I had figures of Daredevil and Punisher. That winter we created this huge mountain fortress out of snow. Tunnels, caves, secret passages, trapdoors, you name it. We had a blast playing with our toys. I forgot ol' Frank Castle in the fortress overnight, by the time I remembered the fort had thawed and refrozen. I grabbed Punisher, but his poor leg snapped off. Dad fixed him somehow with a screw, and you couldn't even tell. Figure was as good as new.

In hindsight, it would've been a funnier story if it had been Captain America.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Grayskull almost takes the prize, but I gotta go with the Mego Hall of Justice. While I didn't have it to play with as a kid, when I got it in college one Christmas (KB Toys got some in on closeout), it was still a thrill. It's an iconic piece I still love.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎