• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Crystal Castle.

Another of my All time favs.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tmthor
      God of Knock-offs
      • Nov 29, 2005

Top 10 that I owned in no particular order

1) Kenner Death Star
      2) Kenner Millennium Falcon
      3) Castle Grayskull
      4) J C Penny 3 1/4" army base
      5) Darth Vader's Star Destroyer
      6) Kenner Creature Cantina
      7) kenner Degobah playset
      8) kenner Ewok Village
      9) AD&D fortress of Fangs
      10) Kenner Imperial Attack Base

honerable mentions (ones friends or brothers had I did not but got to play with)

Gi Joe Headquaters
      Gi Joe USS Flagg
      Snake Mountain
      Eternia
      GI Joe Defiant base
      Mask Boulder hill
      Voltron Castle of lions
      Mazinger Z Photo Atomic Lab
      Mego Star Trek TMP Bridge
      Mego Pocket heroes Batcave
      Barbie plane
      Last edited by tmthor; Jul 17, '18, 2:26 PM.

Comment

• acrovader
        Career Member
        • Jan 19, 2011

Fisher Price Castle worked well for my AD&D, Other World, and other fantasy-style 3.75 figures. That Sesame Street play set doubled as an urban battleground for the RAH GI Joes. And the Weebles 'Haunted House' also doubled as a play set for some of my other figures.
        I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• Klosterheim
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Crystal Castle.

Another of my All time favs.

Ah. Very nice. So that was designed similar to the MotU playsets, with the floors that overlapped when folded shut, like Castle Grayskull.

They should have made a few more sets like this, or variations of it, they were really onto something.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 12, 2016

Hmm...my favorite 3 3/4 inch playset is the original gi joe ARAH headquarters....For the 12 inch stuff. It would probably be the gi joe training tower...unless the mobile support vehicle counts...
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Scott777
              Museum Patron
              • Jan 4, 2023

Voltron Castle of Lions Playset, Castle Greyskull of MOTU, Star Wars Droid Factory, and the Star wars Creature Cantina...so much fun.

Comment

• Scott777
                Museum Patron
                • Jan 4, 2023

Originally posted by palitoy
                oohhh...that reminds me. there are a few sets i wish i had: the Weeble Ghost house and the Fisher Price early 1970s Castle set...those i miss so much!

Comment

• Scott777
                  Museum Patron
                  • Jan 4, 2023

so, no one posted Micronauts cities? me neither. i had them, they were a good idea, but the gray connectors always broke, and when you were trying to separate them it always pinched my fingers. if the white pieces were just thicker, and didn't have such sharp edges, it would have been more fun to play with.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 12, 2016

Originally posted by Scott777
                    so, no one posted Micronauts cities? me neither. i had them, they were a good idea, but the gray connectors always broke, and when you were trying to separate them it always pinched my fingers. if the white pieces were just thicker, and didn't have such sharp edges, it would have been more fun to play with.
                    It's weird, the only micronaut toy I ever had was the Crater Cruncher...I did love Hornetroid though, the idea of that toy was just so cool..
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Scott777
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jan 4, 2023

Originally posted by VintageJoe70
                      It's weird, the only micronaut toy I ever had was the Crater Cruncher...I did love Hornetroid though, the idea of that toy was just so cool..
                      i got Hornetroid, i want to say, in 3rd grade. Still have it (broken antannae) and still love it! best single-rider ship ever.

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

Mego Star Trek Enterprise Bridge
                        Mego Planet of the Apes Treehouse
                        Matchbox Mobile Action Command Rescue Center
                        Scott

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jun 29, 2018

As much as I enjoyed the Wayne Foundation in the Seventies, the modern Batman 66 Batcave just hits all my buttons. To me, it’s the Batcave we should have had in 1973.

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

I’d have to say my childhood favorite was the Mattel Space:1999 Eagle One playset. I loved that ship to death, literally. I had the Star Wars Creature Cantina and the Land of the Jawas playsets too, but that Space:1999 Eagle was the real deal for me. It is long gone, as are the Star Wars playsets, but I purchased another Eagle as an adult, I was also given another by a very kind Mego Mate here on the boards.

As an adult, buying favored action figure collections, I got the amazing LJN Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Fortress of Fangs playset about 15 or so years back and I absolutely adore that thing! That green snakey faced playset is probably my current favorite.
                            69623772-2889-430A-9126-1BF6DDD40009.jpg

It’s too bad that LJN was never able to produce their Snake Cave playset.
                            D9A97E13-7B7D-4AD4-B2AC-830D4DFA11DA.png

Dana
                            Last edited by danadoll; Apr 18, '23, 4:11 PM.
                            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Agent4125
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Aug 23, 2007

I think the only "playset" I had as a kid was the Big Jim tent.
                              Don't know if it can even be called "playset" and it's certainly not the best of all time.
                              I still have it somewhere. I wonder if it's still in good shape? (will the vinyl deteriorate over time?)

As an adult collector I bought a few playsets. I have 3 of them set up in my apartment
                              so those must be my favorites. I just took pictures of them. Here they are:

3. Playmobil Ghostbusters Firehouse

A nice and fun set for kids and collectors alike.
                              Very well done in typical Playmobil quality. Everything fits well and is very sturdy.

I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea because of the simple style of the Playmobil figures.
                              But I think it's well done and a lot of fun

The problem with this thing is: There's a lot of small pieces and it's a lot of work to dust off.

2. Palisades Muppets Backstage

I think Palisades did a great job with their Muppets line. There were a handful of playsets made and all were well done.
                              I have the Backstage playset with a few figures set up somewhere in my living room and
                              whenever I look at them it puts a smile on my face.

1. Mattycollector Classics Castle Grayskull

There are several things to love about this one.

First of all it was a surprise that it got made at all. The line was an online only, collectors only line, and at a price of $250
                              the number of potential buyers for the castle must have been limited. But it was made (using a pre-order) and it turned out great.

What I also liked was to follow the different steps in the playsets creation:
                              First there was just a blueprint. Then Mattys "Toyguru" presented a simple foam mockup.
                              Then an unpainted prototype was shown, then the painted prototype, then a testshot in weird colors...
                              It was a lot of fun following the progress and reading the discussions in the He-Man forums.

I currently don't have the space to present it in open form.
                              (yes, it's quite big although some people always complained that it was too small...)
                              It's placed on some cupboard in my kitchen with a handful figures in front of it.

Comment

• publiusr
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Aug 23, 2015

The big Space 1999 Eagle….a play set and spaceship toy both.

Still waiting for a good DS9 Runabout.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎