Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideshow Spock
    valar morghulis
    • Mar 8, 2005

I was just randomly in the store a few days ago when I heard about the DC buyout over the store's PA system, part of their pre-recorded ads..

I didn't buy anything, but it was a fun 10 minutes looking through what they had, which was a lot. They didn't even have a space for it all, so they had a few shopping carts full of books parked next to the display..
    Last edited by Sideshow Spock; Jan 14, '18, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Ollie's in perfect timing mailed us their shopper's club coupon (my wife is a member) the day after I bought that load of books, but we were also told through the grapevine our branch got a second shipment of DC books in, so we stopped in this afternoon since we were already on that side of town and my wife wanted to see if they had some other stuff. I took a second dip into the stacks as they had gotten in stuff they didn't have on Thursday, but brought home a much more modest haul this time...

I had been looking for the Walt Simonson Judas Coin OGN for a while and finally found a replacement copy of the deluxe edition of the Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter complete with the silent final chapter Simonson did form Archie's plot after Archie had passed away, as I lost my copy in my move form CT to OH 15 years ago. I oopsed and doubled up on the JH Williams Batman HC though, so I have a gift for next year's comic secret Santas I participate in.

I was told a lot of shops were getting a second delivery of stuff, so if your local Ollie's was sold out, they might get more.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Ooh, I may have to sneak back down there this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Kicking myself for not buying the Neal Adams Batman vol. 1. I thought I'd already owned it, but nope, I owned 2 and 3.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Hedji
            Kicking myself for not buying the Neal Adams Batman vol. 1. I thought I'd already owned it, but nope, I owned 2 and 3.
            The first volume is the best one. I could do without 2. I wasn't into any of the Manbat stuff.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Those were a major disappointment to me. The presentation is so nice...but they let Adams redraw random panels and figures. And Adams of today isn't Adams of 50/40 years ago, and it's jarring. It's the George Lucas effect in comics form.

I have the first hardcover volume, and got two and three discarded from the local library in tpb form. I'm good.
              sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I could not agree more. I dislike the new coloring, and hate the revised artwork, but still, it's a nice collection to have. But they missed the bulls eye.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

How did I miss this?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^It's not over yet Steve. But don't bother crossing the river into KY to go to Florence...unless they got more in.
                    sigpic

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

We've been more or less snowed-in off and on for a few days. Those things are gold to me. I can pass them around to my kids and the resulting silence is quite magical.

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                        How did I miss this?
                        What you said. I'll have to check ours tomorrow on these.

Edited to add I picked up 5 today - 3 Showcase (Batgirl, Shazam! & Aquaman) and 2 Archives (New Teen Titans #4 and World's Finest #3).

I didn't see the Super Friends, which I wanted. I'm guessing stores get different books maybe.
                        Last edited by ScottA; Jan 18, '18, 11:53 PM.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

I stopped in the Ollie's down near the Dayton Mall when I was making a Target run earlier today, and they had a bunch of books our local Ollie's didn't get, so I came home with another batch of DC trades...

so yes, different stores got different stuff (to answer ScottA's question). Our local store also got a second shipment which had different stuff form the first shipment they got, so it can vary by delivery tot he same store too.

-M
                          Last edited by MRP; Jan 28, '18, 7:18 PM.
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

Nice. I hope I made a second trip last week, and it was the same assortment, but I did find a few I had overlooked. Hopefully they'll get some more at our nearby Ollie's in the next few weeks.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
                              Hot Child in the City
                              • Jul 3, 2008

Stopped today and they did get some new ones in. Picked up a 75th anniversary Lois Lane hc, the Solo Omnibus hc, and the Worlds Finest Archives #3.
                              Still would like to find the Kirby GA Sandman book and that Secret Society volume. And has anyone seen a Batman in the 40s pb or Superman in the 70s?

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by johnnystorm
                                Stopped today and they did get some new ones in. Picked up a 75th anniversary Lois Lane hc, the Solo Omnibus hc, and the Worlds Finest Archives #3.
                                Still would like to find the Kirby GA Sandman book and that Secret Society volume. And has anyone seen a Batman in the 40s pb or Superman in the 70s?
                                The one I was at today has a case of the Superman inthe 70s volume, and the one in toen had it on my first visit but not sure if they have anymore.

-M

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎