Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

So has any other site/group found out what was behind the liquidation?

I don't know why the ATT merger would trigger this, unless there's a publishing division being sold off.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by hedrap
      So has any other site/group found out what was behind the liquidation?

I don't know why the ATT merger would trigger this, unless there's a publishing division being sold off.
      Liquidation of trades happens all the time. Diamond does it every year at the end of the year to make room in their warehouses for the new stuff released int he coming year. They offer the trades at dirt cheap prices to retailers (pennies on the dollar prices really), some of whom buy it up and still charge MSRP for it, others who offer it at discount, others who then sell them in Amazon stories or ebay. I see dealers/retailers blowing out trades at conventions all the time, long boxes full of trades for $2 each, $3 each, $5 each, etc. from all publishers.

Unless it is an evergreen seller (and those are few and far between, things like Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, etc. that stay in print), most trades have a small window to sell in the direct market, and a slightly larger (bit still small) window to sell in the book market outside the Diamond direct market. If the print run doesn't sell out int hat window, they sit and reorders only trickle in after intial orders, so they eventually get moved at liquidation prces to create space. Best guess, this was a warehouse clearing out stock that Ollie's bought up and paid a bulk price for and blowing it out accordingly. Could be a fallout of DC moving headquarters from NY to California, having stock warehoused that hadn't sold yet and not wanting to keep paying rent and costs on the warehouse so sold off the stock. Could be bought up from the over 50 comic shops that went out of business in the last calendar year (though I would expect that there would be a broader range of publishers were that the case, I do thing that's where the bags of comics they are selling come from), or any number of other reasons. That it was liquidated is not surprising, that it was offered tot he general public rather than retailers is the oddity, and my guess is that Ollie's just bought into one of those liquidations and made an offer for the entire supply rather than piecing it out to smaller retailers who operate in the direct market who would sell it at a higher mark up than Ollie's did.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• argent007
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 7, 2005

I'm a little jealous as I'm nowhere near an Ollie's. But, I read everything I want through the library and already have way more comics and trades that I really want... Glad everyone is enjoying the hunt!
        My Updated Want List:
        Comic book original art
        1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
        Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

The bagged comics Ollies sells are put together for them by New Dimension Comics in Pittsburgh Pa. They buy out a lot of after- convention overstock dealers don't want to haul home.

Comment

• johnnystorm
            Hot Child in the City
            • Jul 3, 2008

I wonder... On a sellout such as this, do the creators still recieve royalty payments of some sort? I've been seeing lots of creator owned books in these Ollie posts, and artist books like the Adams, Kubert, and Bolland editions.
            That Teen Titans Games HC was a much anticipated book, reuniting Wolfman and Perez to finish something started during the original TT run. Guess it was too little years too late.

Comment

• WannabeMego
              Made in the USA
              • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
              Mostly New 52 dreck but I did score a couple of Spectre collections and a Question.
              Each Store had different stuff, but almost all of them had the same DC 52 Books piled HIGH.

Showcases were hit or miss as well as Non-52 TPB's.

I definitely will not do this type of run again, but, at least I know now which ones are along the main route I travel.
              Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

My store was mostly stocked with Showcases, thankfully.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                  Permanent Member
                  • Sep 15, 2014

Some nice stuff there. I've been wanting to read Phantom Stranger and Legion IMG_20180205_113251629_HDR.jpg

It's a match made in heaven for guys like Chris. Are you thrilled to find new $3 showcases and $7 hardcovers or are you kicking yourself for paying LCS prices years ago on some of the books?

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by MRP
                    Best guess, this was a warehouse clearing out stock that Ollie's bought up and paid a bulk price for and blowing it out accordingly. Could be a fallout of DC moving headquarters from NY to California, having stock warehoused that hadn't sold yet and not wanting to keep paying rent and costs on the warehouse so sold off the stock.
                    -M
                    That's right! Now that makes sense and would explain DC Archives being liquidated en masse. While I'm used to new TPB collections being blown out, Archives - like Masterworks - are not your standard print runs.

But I think you hit it. The NYC HQ warehouse would have hardbacks in bulk on hand.

Now you got me wondering if we're going to see an airdrop of DC Direct toys and merch at some point!

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by hedrap
                      That's right! Now that makes sense and would explain DC Archives being liquidated en masse. While I'm used to new TPB collections being blown out, Archives - like Masterworks - are not your standard print runs.

But I think you hit it. The NYC HQ warehouse would have hardbacks in bulk on hand.

Now you got me wondering if we're going to see an airdrop of DC Direct toys and merch at some point!
                      Well the Archives line has been discontinued and replaced with the Golden/Silver/Bronze Age omnibus editions followed by trade paperback releases of the same material, so I wasn't surprised to see Archives in there even if it wasn't the DC warehouse. The Showcase line was discontinued a while back so not surprised to see those either.

-M
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

I couldn't find the Neal Adam's Batman books or any silver/bronze age Batman books for that matter.So i paid alittle more online. But you can't beat their prices, I got the Super friends showcase for $4. If you roll the dice and try something new a trip to Ollie's is worth it, but don't expect to find a specific volume.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

I got the Superman in the 70s and Shazam Showcase last week.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

They just got a bunch of Marvel stuff in. I picked up X-Men:Asgardian Wars and Avengers:The Legacy of Thanos.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

I've been enjoying reading the Aquaman showcase. There is some fun light-hearted silver age stories in there. He was the backup story in the Superboy Adventure comics issues for years.

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

They just brought another batch of trades in at up to 80% off. Lots of Marvel and DC stuff, a little bit of Zenoscope and a few other small publishers like Oni and Dark Horse. They had it in their circular this past week. I stopped by our local Ollie's and picked up a handful of trades this afternoon, mostly DC stuff.

-M

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎