Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations in Venice/Santa Monica, CA (toy stores, comic shops, museums, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • argent007
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 7, 2005

Recommendations in Venice/Santa Monica, CA (toy stores, comic shops, museums, etc.)

Hi. I'm going to be in Venice and Santa Monica for a long weekend. I'd welcome recommendations for comic book or vintage toy stores, places to eat, things to do (museums, outdoor activities, etc.) I'd also welcome sports bar recommendations for the playoffs on Saturday in Venice.

My wife and I like good food, books, and the outdoors. I'm a scuba diver (but I assume it is too cold) and she's into yoga (which is why we'll be there).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! I'm hoping for a very nice break from work and some new experiences to appreciate.
    My Updated Want List:
    Comic book original art
    1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
    Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

Hi Argent, good post. Having been to Santa Monica and Venice many times....

Venice you have to walk the walk on the beachfront, you will have tonnes of dealers selling all kinds of merchandise including fake Rolexes and imitation high caliber watches!!! ON Venice blvd is a Matsuwa market, if your looking for Uchusen/Japanese scifi mags, this is the place to get em!

Santa Monica: The 3rd street Promenade is the main drag of shops, there is a PUZZLEZOO, which besides educational toys also sells Superhero/Kaiju items. SO check that out. Off the promenade is HIDEHO comics. Once upon a time it was a rocking little shop, had everything including Golden age books! But the old owner sold out to Geoffrey's comics in Gardenia. And let's say it's still worth checking out, but it's NOT the way it used to be! :(

And in Santa Monica, you have to check out the PIER and there are tonnes of places that have GREAT FOOD! And you have PACIFIC COAST HIGHWAY going thru the city and its a BEAUTIFUL Place to go! I am envious!!

Are you going to be MOBILE? if so there are lots of other places to check out in the LA/Orange county area. If not, then your kind of limited.

You have Meltdown comics on Sunset strip, Golden Apple on Melrose, but sadly that place is a SHELL of what it used to be. If your into animation cels there is Van Eaton Galleries in Sherman Oaks. There is a old toy collectible shop in Burbank and a Horror shop too, and I cant remember their names!! DAMN IT!! Google them and you wont be disappointed.

There are also a couple of collectible shops in Orange County and I cant remember their names either, there is BIG LOU's toys on Sepulveda blvd, by the Airport, which is a hop skip and a jump from Venice! a mixture of old and new. Umm There is a bi-weekly flea market toy show on Weds and Sats in City of Industry called FRANK AND SONS, and I never been, but I hear its good!!!

and lastly in Little Tokyo, there is a TOY KAIJU shop that has TONNES of Kaiju/Anime,etc,etc and in fact they have two/three shops dividing it all out, worth a check for sure!!!

Have FUN! and if you can please write up a report/review on the trip, would LOVE to hear all the details!!

CHEERS MATE!!

Jorge.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
      Career Member
      • Jun 8, 2015

OH and yes, Geoffreys comics in Gardenia, again, once upon a time a great place to shop and now, not as BAD as HIDEHO, but they used to carry a great selection of Bootleg dvds and now they don't! They do have a good silver age selection and some Golden age books, prices are soso, so buyer beware!

Again ENJOY!!!

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
        Off the promenade is HIDEHO comics. Once upon a time it was a rocking little shop, had everything including Golden age books! But the old owner sold out to Geoffrey's comics in Gardenia. And let's say it's still worth checking out, but it's NOT the way it used to be! :(
        argent007, I don't go as far back as Jorge with HI DE HO... and, I am interested in toys, and pretty ignorant to comic-shopping... but I've always found HI DE HO to be a top-notch toy-browsing place in that area... their address at 1431 Lincoln Blvd puts them somewhere between 7th and 8th near Santa Monica Blvd.---so, if you're more tethered to that area, you'd have to check it out. I mean there's not that many places of that nature that close to Santa Monica....

that said...

....if distance isn't much of an issue (like a 90 minute to 2 hr drive according to google maps) , then Frank And Sons (another Jorge recommendation) would be key.... it's HUGE.... I don't think there's much comics there at all... but its LOADED with vintage/recent/new toys and collectibles...

the address is 19649 E. San Jose Ave. City of Industry, CA. 91748 ... and 9 to 5 on Saturday is your only weekend option.

Again, Frank And Son's is not an easy trip, and HI DE HO is admittedly not that impressive in scale, but as far as opposite sides of the "bang for the buck" spectrum distance-wise, I thought it worth posting that of the venues Jorge listed, I'd say to consider those two venues in the particular way I mentioned.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• rchatlin
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 24, 2001

Barney's Beanery on the SM Promenade is a good sports bar.

IF you drive north to the Valley, a few places in NoHo/Burbank
          - Creature Features
          - Blast from the Past
          - House of Secrets - if you go here, be sure to check out their awesome comic themed Stained Glass in the back room.
          - a few little antique / showcase shops on MAgnolia

There used to be some places in Pomona and Buena Park/Anaheim,
          but I'm not sure what's still there.

r
          o
          b

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

I wish I could check this out. http://www.lamag.com/askchris/batman-exhibit-hollywood/

Comment

• J.B.
              Guild Navigator
              • Jun 23, 2010

Getting to this party late, but if you're still in the area:

The Getty Center is stunning.

Visit our Los Angeles museums and library, interact with art, and access free research tools.

The world's largest independent record store. I think I've mentioned before that Blue Meanie Berto has already pre-arranged to have his ashes spread in The Beatles Wing.

We Buy and Sell Used Records, DVDs, and CDs. The World's Largest Independently Owned Record Store!

Though Frank & Sons is a great place for toys (modern & vintage), sports collectibles and, contrary to the beliefs of The Museum Ball Eater, plenty of comics, it's far too long of a drive from the area you're in. Check out Meltdown Comics on Sunset.

http://meltdowncomics.com/

Delicious Seafood with a beautiful view at Malibu Seafood. If you look carefully enough you're sure to see a pod of dolphins frolicking.

http://www.malibuseafood.com/
              You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎