Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Great Sci-Fi Toy Slump of 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    ^--- must have got my wires crossed ... but now that you say that my memories are starting to make more sense.

On rethinking where I bought it I'm pretty sure it was at Shelbys --- Which Grants sold out to in the early 80's
    Nah, I think your remembered timeline was correct. Although the larger plastic Y-wing was a ROTJ toy, the diecast one did indeed come out in 1979 between SW and Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    ROJ stuff just hung around. We had Jabbas until the early 1990s here.
    I remember tons of ROTJ toys on clearance back in 1988-91, especially at Zellers, they had pallets piled high with Falcons, Jabbas and Scout Walkers. The Walkers were even in Empire boxes, and were $7.00 a pop. I really wish I bought more than one, there must have been almost a hundred of them on clearance!

Blog Entries
    Zellers was is exactly the store i was thinking of, they finally sold all that RoJ stuff just in time to put Dick Tracy cars in their stores for the next 7 years.

Ha, I remember those cars! I wish I could go back to Zellers circa 1990 just once, whole walls of carded SW figures for a buck or two each! (including what are now real rarities, like the Canadian "transition" cards).

Quote Originally Posted by cjefferys View Post
    Great pic, wish it was in color. Cool to see some Super Joes at the very far right too. But someone should have straightened that one Colonial Scarab box before snapping the pic!
    The Plaid Stallions page has that pictured in color, even a more expansive picture, at that. I think it's in the 'Toy Store/Aisle' picture section. I think that picture is from Gimbels or Boston Store.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.