Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Sci-Fi Toy Slump of 1979

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sprytel View Post

"Ooh, lookie here... another Leia 12 inch action figure. And what is this doing in the boy's aisle? I'll talk about that later. And this TIE Fighter... it's big action feature is... wow... it's wings fall off. What kid would want that! And again, they have like a dozen of them. More proof that Kenner and Lucasfilms are in big trouble. They clearly have no idea what they are doing."
    Spot on. I am forever grateful social media did not exist when I was a kid.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Great pic, wish it was in color. Cool to see some Super Joes at the very far right too. But someone should have straightened that one Colonial Scarab box before snapping the pic!

Blog Entries
    If only we had YouTube in 1979. Can you imagine that angry geek's rant?

"Ooh, lookie here... another Leia 12 inch action figure. And what is this doing in the boy's aisle? I'll talk about that later. And this TIE Fighter... it's big action feature is... wow... it's wings fall off. What kid would want that! And again, they have like a dozen of them. More proof that Kenner and Lucasfilms are in big trouble. They clearly have no idea what they are doing."
    Oh that's so funny, a while back Lenzi and myself cooked up a blog featuring the notes of a toy reviewer from the 1970s. We wrote stuff like "Sorry Kenner, but last I checked Lee Majors doesn't have a hole in his head". Trouble is, it was so negative and gross we both kind of lost interest....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Marion View Post
    BSG did release one of the best 3.75 figures . Attachment 22147
    Agreed. Those extra articulated limbs blew my little 6 year old mind.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

Images
    If only we had YouTube in 1979. Can you imagine that angry geek's rant?

That or we would get "What's the deal with Boba Fett? We gotta wait and wait to get this figure and then his rocket doesn't even fire?"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Yeah, I think the culprit was likely oversaturation. SW sales were likely cooling off and then there was BSG, touted as the next Star Wars, it sold really well until it left the airwaves when it sunk like a stone.

People tend to fixate on Mego's blunders but every article I've read from this era, BSG gets the most mentions as being something of a disappointment for retailers.
    This was the networks fault. If you ever read/heard the story of BSG, it was only supposed to be a 3 part mini series, but fans got wind of it during production and bombarded the network with letters, pushing it into a full blown series that the network did not want. They tried every underhanded trick in the book to kill it and they all failed. When contracts ran out they fired everybody, only to get hit by more fan mail. By that time, most of the cast would not come back, so we got the Galactica 80 series instead, which was deliberately so bad that nobody complained when it died.

CCC.

Images
    I remember seeing a horde of die-cast Y-wing fighters in a department store marked down to crazy cheap sometime between Star Wars and Empire ... Think the store was Grants
    .................................................. .......................

Blog Entries
    Y Wing was a Jedi toy and yeah, ROJ stuff just hung around. We had Jabbas until the early 1990s here.

Images
    ^--- must have got my wires crossed ... but now that you say that my memories are starting to make more sense.

On rethinking where I bought it I'm pretty sure it was at Shelbys --- Which Grants sold out to in the early 80's
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Y Wing was a Jedi toy and yeah, ROJ stuff just hung around. We had Jabbas until the early 1990s here.
    Syracuse had them too. Kiddie City had Jabbas and Speeder Bikes until they went out. They sat over by the Eagle Force stuff.