X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Spotlight: Planet of the Apes Game by IDW

This past week as I went to my local shop, (World's Collide BTW) and I was presented with this Planet of the Apes tabletop game by IDW.

I like games and if you pair them with an established property, well I'm an easy mark, so even though I didn't sincerely recall ordering it, it sounded like something I'd do,

What it is: Planet of the Apes is a cooperation game, meaning all players work together rather than pitted against each other. I like this concept a great deal although I've never been particularly successful at it.

How it's played: Each one of the up to four players is Taylor, albeit in a different emotional state, there is Clever Taylor, Defiant Taylor etc. The game works in the sequentially as you race against time to go through the various scenes of the film. Each area has different challenges and relies on dice to get you through. If the Soldier Ape or the Statue of Liberty gets to the bottom before Taylor, well, you blew it up you maniacs....

How it Looks- It's a pretty darn gorgeous game, the box art is by Jason Edmiston, a super talented dude I got to have a beer with a few years ago and have been a fan of ever since. The interior art is equally as beautiful, this is a joy to look at.

I got an early edition of the game and it came with plastic figurines of the Icarus, Taylor, a Soldier Ape and the Statue of Liberty but honestly, the cardboard pieces are super nice.

So do you like it? Honestly, i've had a lot of fun but I'll freely admit this, I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Planet of the Apes is a little complicated and even on my second play, I had some questions. Now, it;'s rather new and I expect more and more Youtube videos of actual game play will probably answer all my questions.

I do see myself playing this a few more times as I've enjoyed the experience thus far.

Where to get it?

The absolute best place to get this is your local brick and mortar comic or game store. Keep them in business, spend your dollars locally.

Failing that, you can get it on Amazon or
    Ebay
    and if you click these links, you help out this site. Which would also be awesome.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for the review--I like the art.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

I was wondering how it played, so appreciate the review. I do love the art as well.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

So would this be the only vintage "toy" rendition of the Icarus? I wish Corgi had a shot at it.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I'd consider the Amsco POTA Adventure Set to be the *one*. There are several resin & wood garage kits made over the years; we could certainly use something better. C'mon Super7!

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Yikes, just saw the Amsco POTA Adventure Set version.

Shame on you Corgi for over looking the Icarus, and shame on you for turning the Buck Rogers Starfighter into a Mandoline.
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎