X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by drquest
    I'm currently doing the Dragonlance Chronicles series on audiobooks. I read them in the mid 80's and am enjoying them all over again!
    I just reread the trilogy last year, for the first time in about 20 years.

I finished Rohmer's Mystery of Dr. Fu Mancu and am now making my way through Dashiel Hammett's The Maltese Falcon.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

^ I'm a big Detective Fiction fan (I'm a "pulp fan", in general) and I really dig Dashiel Hammett.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I read a book called "One Million Followers" recently, it was a social media strategy and while i learned a few things, it seems to be targeted at people who want to be YouTube celebrities and I was hoping for more stuff for work.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Finished The Maltese Flacon (then rewatched the film to see the differences), then read Ian Fleming's Live and Let Die, which I finished last night. Not sure what will be up next.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

I picked up a stack of 1970's comic magazines at a comic shop yesterday, I'll be reading them out on the back deck this afternoon.

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Are comics allowed here? I just binged Tom King's Mister Miracle tonight and now I'm a bit wired. I don't believe I've ever read a superhero comic I've related to more than this. Brilliant. Somewhat frightening.

The story follows the mythology set up in the Kirby's Forth World Mister Miracle series but twists the whole concept into a totally different direction which both honours the classic comics while adding a lot of character-driven depth.

Comment

• Makernaut
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by MRP
                Finished The Maltese Flacon (then rewatched the film to see the differences), then read Ian Fleming's Live and Let Die, which I finished last night. Not sure what will be up next.

-M
                I read this and immediately thought about how I pitched out some early paperbacks by Ian Fleming when I moved house many years back. Kind of made me feel it a bit in my guts to think how stupid I was and how much I wish I had those paperbacks BACK in my possession.

Well, something very incredible happened the very next day. I stopped in Half-Price Books and they had a rack of $3 paperbacks. I picked up "For Your Eyes Only", "Thunderball", "The Spy Who Loved Me", "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and "The Man With the Golden Gun". All of them are early to mid-60's paperbacks and four of the five don't even have a crease in the spine.

I don't remember for sure which ones I had pitched in my move, but I am pretty sure that between that boo-boo and this haul, I probably owned all of the early Bond paperbacks at points along the way.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I found a book on mindfulness in my little free library last night and read it yesterday afternoon. Not something I would have paid for but a few nuggets were gleemed.

PS I have no qualms with comics being in this thread.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Rereading Larry Tye's Superman

Art Baltazar's Gillbert

1970's Shazam vol. 1
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

I sometimes read multiple things at once, as is the case now, usually one novel, one short story collection, something comic related, and sometimes something non-fiction.

I just finished the first volume Star Trek episode adaptations by James Blish.

I am about halfway through the second Fu Manchu novel, The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (alternate title-The Devil Doctor)

I am also reading through the fifth volume of the Ace Conan books, Conan the Adventurer.

And lastly, I am reading through Don Rosa's The Lives and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

-M

Comment

• justzeg18
                        Career Member
                        • May 5, 2003

I’m about 20hrs into the audiobook of Neal Stephenson Fall.
                        Pretty good.

Comment

• pmwasson
                          Maker
                          • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by justzeg18
                          I’m about 20hrs into the audiobook of Neal Stephenson Fall.
                          Pretty good.
                          I finished that a little while ago. It was quite enjoyable.
                          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• J.B.
                            Guild Navigator
                            • Jun 23, 2010

This cat has lived some wild life and I'm barely into the book. I may be able to answer a question I asked the group earlier regarding a Red Hot Chili Peppers performance where Kiedis exchanged words & handshake with Magic Johnson, when I get further in the book (I hope; it's still driving me crazy).

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

Also on the music front, I'm about 40 pages into "Please Kill Me Now: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk" and so far, its pretty interesting if you're a fan. The book is just quotes from the people on the scene. It starts back in the mid-60's with the Velvets, MC5 and the Stooges. I was heavily involved in the underground music scene back in the 80's and its really driven my tastes ever since. It's cool to read more from these proto and punk artists perspectives.
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brazoo
                                Permanent Member
                                • Feb 14, 2009

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon. Not loving it so far. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay was fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎