Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: watchya readin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn Captain View Post
    I'm reading fiction, Dean Koontz (Strangers, my third time)
    I am a huge Koontz fan. He was my favorite author for many years. Midnight, Strangers, Watchers, Lighting, Twilight Eyes are some of my favorite books. Lately, Harlan Coben has become a must read for me. I just finished Stephen King's - The Stand, for the umpteenth time.

Listened to Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry. Humorous, engagingly written and most informative. Fascinatiing stuff.
    My book reading is still mostly in the form of comix collections: I'm on the final volume of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's Y: The Last Man; finally made my way through the most of Grant Morrison's take on the Batman mythos (Spectacular stuff, man!); reread Miller and Darrow's Hard Boiled for the first time since the '90s; and I've been catching up on a South African cartoonist whom I managed to miss until recently - Joe Daly. More, I think, but I'll end my report here.
    >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

As a college professor I need to go from one book to another (history, anthropology, and economics), but sometimes I pick a book or two out of general interest. Right now I have Jimmy Connors' The Outsider here with me. What a fantastic book. And no matter what, Jimbo will always be the greatest and most spectacular tennis player to ever play the sport.

Blog Entries
    It's interesting what you can learn from people's experiences. I should read more biographies.

Right now I'm reading "the Like Ability Factor" by Tim Sanders. It's taking a while to get there but i'll also probably finish it tonight, so I'm good with it.

A little esoteric, but I am about halfway through "Only Death Is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost 1981–1985" in which author Tom Gabriel Fischer talks about his struggles with starting a metal band in Switzerland, first Hellhammer (a band almost universally ridiculed at the time but now considered very influential in the extreme metal genre) and then Celtic Frost (of which I am a big fan). A big hardcover with tons of rare photos, this is one of those books where I needed a physical copy rather than an e-book version. This weekend I picked up "New York Rock: From the Rise of The Velvet Underground to the Fall of CBGB", so that one is next on deck.

Images
    I read both of the book below after you mentioned them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I just finished a couple of books: Autnomous by Annalee Newitz, a new sci-fi novel that was recommended by Warren Ellis in his newsletter and that caught my attention. A future (2144 AD) where corporations(especially big pharmaceuticals) have divvied up the world into trade zones and copyrights and trademarks are the most valuable commodity, a female Robin Hood-like drug pirate operating out of a submarine named Jack passes a bad batch of reverse-engineered generic drugs which leads to uncovering corruption at one of the pharma corps, but the more interesting thread through it is the idea of autonomy in AI and human-like machines in this world. Neal Stephenson and others liken the impact of this book to what Gibson's Neuromancer did to cyberpunk over 30 years ago, and it really does explore a lot of new grounds that touchstone on issues facing today;s soiety as all good sci-fi does.

and Strange Weather, a collection of 4 novellas by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son and writer of Locke & Key one of the best new comics of this decade) whose newsletter I subscribe to...

all interesting, but Snapshot (the first) and Rain (the 4th) were the best of the bunch.
    "Loaded" in Strange Weather may not have been the best story of the bunch, but seems very topical and interesting.

Some other fiction I read recently that I really like:

Everything Jeff VanderMeer writes: Southern Reach Trilogy (Annihilation -- better than the movie!, Authority, Acceptance), Borne and Strange Bird (Borne sequel)

Amatka by Karin Tidbeck - A surreal debut novel set in a world shaped by language.

Quote Originally Posted by pmwasson View Post
    I read both of the book below after you mentioned them. Thanks!

"Loaded" in Strange Weather may not have been the best story of the bunch, but seems very topical and interesting.

Some other fiction I read recently that I really like:

Everything Jeff VanderMeer writes: Southern Reach Trilogy (Annihilation -- better than the movie!, Authority, Acceptance), Borne and Strange Bird (Borne sequel)

Amatka by Karin Tidbeck - A surreal debut novel set in a world shaped by language.
    Cool, glad you liked them.

I am currently reading Roses and Rot, the debut novel by Kat Howard from a few years back. Howard was one of 4 writers hand chosen by Neil Gaiman to write for his Sandman Universe group of titles debuting later this year for DC/Vertigo (she will be writing the reboot of Books of Magic). It's an interesting tale of the sacrifices one will make for one's art and plays on the faerie bargain motif.

-M

Images
    Recently finished reading "Wiped! Doctor Who's Missing Episodes" (Updated Edition from 2013) by Richard Molesworth. I found it an interesting and informative read. There's things I learned from reading it that I hadn't even heard or read about elsewhere. I'll have to reread some of it to let the new information (new to me at least) sink in.

I'll also be reading "Ready Player One" soon.

Images
    I'm half way through Ready Player One and enjoying it.
    Mortui Vivos Docent
    The Dead Teach the Living

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Eisner/Miller...

a record of a fascinating conversation between two masters of the craft talking about the medium they have made their careers.

-M