Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

I read both of the book below after you mentioned them. Thanks!

Originally posted by MRP
    I just finished a couple of books: Autnomous by Annalee Newitz, a new sci-fi novel that was recommended by Warren Ellis in his newsletter and that caught my attention. A future (2144 AD) where corporations(especially big pharmaceuticals) have divvied up the world into trade zones and copyrights and trademarks are the most valuable commodity, a female Robin Hood-like drug pirate operating out of a submarine named Jack passes a bad batch of reverse-engineered generic drugs which leads to uncovering corruption at one of the pharma corps, but the more interesting thread through it is the idea of autonomy in AI and human-like machines in this world. Neal Stephenson and others liken the impact of this book to what Gibson's Neuromancer did to cyberpunk over 30 years ago, and it really does explore a lot of new grounds that touchstone on issues facing today;s soiety as all good sci-fi does.

and Strange Weather, a collection of 4 novellas by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son and writer of Locke & Key one of the best new comics of this decade) whose newsletter I subscribe to...

all interesting, but Snapshot (the first) and Rain (the 4th) were the best of the bunch.
    "Loaded" in Strange Weather may not have been the best story of the bunch, but seems very topical and interesting.

Some other fiction I read recently that I really like:

Everything Jeff VanderMeer writes: Southern Reach Trilogy (Annihilation -- better than the movie!, Authority, Acceptance), Borne and Strange Bird (Borne sequel)

Amatka by Karin Tidbeck - A surreal debut novel set in a world shaped by language.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by pmwasson
      I read both of the book below after you mentioned them. Thanks!

"Loaded" in Strange Weather may not have been the best story of the bunch, but seems very topical and interesting.

Some other fiction I read recently that I really like:

Everything Jeff VanderMeer writes: Southern Reach Trilogy (Annihilation -- better than the movie!, Authority, Acceptance), Borne and Strange Bird (Borne sequel)

Amatka by Karin Tidbeck - A surreal debut novel set in a world shaped by language.
      Cool, glad you liked them.

I am currently reading Roses and Rot, the debut novel by Kat Howard from a few years back. Howard was one of 4 writers hand chosen by Neil Gaiman to write for his Sandman Universe group of titles debuting later this year for DC/Vertigo (she will be writing the reboot of Books of Magic). It's an interesting tale of the sacrifices one will make for one's art and plays on the faerie bargain motif.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• The Nawd
        Nawd your head for yes.
        • Feb 15, 2011

Recently finished reading "Wiped! Doctor Who's Missing Episodes" (Updated Edition from 2013) by Richard Molesworth. I found it an interesting and informative read. There's things I learned from reading it that I hadn't even heard or read about elsewhere. I'll have to reread some of it to let the new information (new to me at least) sink in.

I'll also be reading "Ready Player One" soon.

Comment

• Godzilla
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 3, 2002

I'm half way through Ready Player One and enjoying it.
          Mortui Vivos Docent
          The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Eisner/Miller...

a record of a fascinating conversation between two masters of the craft talking about the medium they have made their careers.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard, by Chip Heath

I have trouble putting it down lately.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Viddy well, my Brothers. Just arrived today. My first hardcover version of this masterpiece. Ultra Violence, here I come.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Brazoo
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 14, 2009

Billy Wilder biography called "Nobody's Perfect" - fantastic so far.

I also have a pile of Eddie Campbell comics I'm reading and re-reading. He's one of my favourite comic artists and he's coming to Toronto Comic Art Festival this summer - I can't wait!

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                    Supporter of Silliness
                    • Jun 20, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard, by Chip Heath

I have trouble putting it down lately.
                    It's been a number of years, but I remember Switch being pretty good. Not as good as Made to Stick, but still well worth reading. I need to check out their other books from more recent years.

Comment

• Mongoose1983
                      Career Member
                      • May 14, 2010

Now reading this one. Fast and easy reading, and filled with some incredible stories and recollections.
                      Highly recommended to anybody interested in Sabbath and the birth and development of the Heavy Metal culture and musical genre.
                      www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Donkey Hoatie
                        It's been a number of years, but I remember Switch being pretty good. Not as good as Made to Stick, but still well worth reading. I need to check out their other books from more recent years.
                        Oh cool, I've got their other book "Decisive" on my nightstand right now but I'll seek out "made to stick" on your recommendation, thanks!

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                          Supporter of Silliness
                          • Jun 20, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                          Oh cool, I've got their other book "Decisive" on my nightstand right now but I'll seek out "made to stick" on your recommendation, thanks!
                          To be fair, I work as a creative in advertising/marketing, so Made to Stick definitely resonated more with me from a career standpoint. But, the lessons in there are far-reaching for anyone with any type of entrepreneurial standpoint. Or, at least as far as I remember. I mean, I did read it like a decade ago. You would have think the content would have stuck. Uh, oh. Maybe I shouldn't have recommended it!

Comment

• pmwasson
                            Maker
                            • Sep 12, 2007

Not to get too political, but I just finished reading "Utopia for Realists" and really enjoyed it:
                            After working all day at jobs we often dislike, we buy things we don't need. Rutger Bregman, a Dutch historian, reminds us it needn't be this way-and in some places it isn't.
                            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by J.B.
                              Viddy well, my Brothers. Just arrived today. My first hardcover version of this masterpiece. Ultra Violence, here I come.

In college, i did a (probably terrible) paper on this book, i must confess, I really didn't finish the book back then. I feel like reading it now just out of penance.

It still haunts me, I even saw my prof at SDCC a while back and ducked him out.

Currently reading: When by Daniel Pink
                              I grabbed this book mainly because I'll read any of Pink's efforts, he makes psychology fun!

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

Picked up this hefty tome while at Target Mego hunting this afternoon. It was going to go on my Christmas list, but my wife and I saw it and took it home with us. I have been flipping through it travelling down memory lane since...

-M

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎