X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Duncan
    I prefer to listen. Right now I'm about 40% into Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett and narrated by Richard Ferrone. Pretty good stuff.
    That book was a huge influence on a lot of other books and movies that followed. (Including the fake working title of "Return of the Jedi")

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I'm reading fiction, Dean Koontz (Strangers, my third time) and non-fiction, two books about gladiators and the Roman games.
      The book about gladiators is very good, especially when the writer discusses all the mistakes in Ridley Scott's movie. It's "Monty Python level", the way he corrects Scott.
      I never go anywhere without a book, as I'm always on a bus or train...

And just finished a script myself, writing it yourself is even more fun....
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Just finished

influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
        by Robert B Cialdini

It's something everyone should read, we get persuaded to do things because we're not thinking.

Also read:

How to Be Everything: A Guide for Those Who (Still) Don't Know What They Want to Be When They Grow Up
        by Emilie Wapnick

This is where a book just intrigued by its cover and it was less than 200 pages, so I gave it a whirl. I found it enjoyable and credible, I'd recommend it if you have college aged kids who have trouble with what they want to be in life.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

We do a bedtime read at our house and I recently started pulling from a box of my childhood paperbacks. I picked up 'Sword and the Stone' and found this lovely coupon for a whole 7c off of delectable Cookie Crisp cereal dated 1978 that I must have used as a bookmark. sword stone cookie crisp.small.jpg

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by palitoy

Also read:

How to Be Everything: A Guide for Those Who (Still) Don't Know What They Want to Be When They Grow Up
            by Emilie Wapnick

This is where a book just intrigued by its cover and it was less than 200 pages, so I gave it a whirl. I found it enjoyable and credible, I'd recommend it if you have college aged kids who have trouble with what they want to be in life.
            I stumbled onto an article by Emilie Wapnick last year sometime and found her thoughts and points very interesting. I wound up reading some from her blog and watching a TED Talk she gave. I think I'll check out her book.
            Last edited by Makernaut; Feb 13, '18, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Makernaut
              I stumbled onto an article by Emilie Wapnick last year sometime and found her thoughts and points very interesting. I wound up reading some from her blog and watching a TED Talk she gave. I think I'll check out her book.
              I think it's a good stepping stone to the material, it made me seek out other publications on the subject and I recently picked up:

Refuse to Choose! by Barbara Sher

A lot of people deem Sher the superior book on the subject but I'd have never even heard of it without the prior publication.

Comment

• Brue
                User without title
                • Sep 29, 2005

Just finished Girl on a Train. OK

Rereading Han Solo's Revenge.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                  Made in the USA
                  • May 2, 2003

Book-Wise: Reading Neil deGrasse Tyson's 'Astrophysics for People in a Hurry'

Comic-Wise: Reading TPB 'GodHead' (Green Lantern/New Gods).
                  Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I just finished "How to fail at almost everything and still win big" by Scott Adams.

Really interesting read, hypnosis is my latest kick and some of his concepts resonated with me. Not all of it, mind you.

Comment

• toothaction
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 15, 2017

Listened to Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry. Humorous, engagingly written and most informative. Fascinatiing stuff.
                      My book reading is still mostly in the form of comix collections: I'm on the final volume of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's Y: The Last Man; finally made my way through the most of Grant Morrison's take on the Batman mythos (Spectacular stuff, man!); reread Miller and Darrow's Hard Boiled for the first time since the '90s; and I've been catching up on a South African cartoonist whom I managed to miss until recently - Joe Daly. More, I think, but I'll end my report here.
                      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• megoapesnut
                        The name says it all!
                        • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                        I'm reading fiction, Dean Koontz (Strangers, my third time)
                        I am a huge Koontz fan. He was my favorite author for many years. Midnight, Strangers, Watchers, Lighting, Twilight Eyes are some of my favorite books. Lately, Harlan Coben has become a must read for me. I just finished Stephen King's - The Stand, for the umpteenth time.

Comment

• toothaction
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 15, 2017

Listened to Jon Ronson's The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry. Humorous, engagingly written and most informative. Fascinatiing stuff.
                          My book reading is still mostly in the form of comix collections: I'm on the final volume of Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra's Y: The Last Man; finally made my way through the most of Grant Morrison's take on the Batman mythos (Spectacular stuff, man!); reread Miller and Darrow's Hard Boiled for the first time since the '90s; and I've been catching up on a South African cartoonist whom I managed to miss until recently - Joe Daly. More, I think, but I'll end my report here.
                          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Mongoose1983
                            Career Member
                            • May 14, 2010

As a college professor I need to go from one book to another (history, anthropology, and economics), but sometimes I pick a book or two out of general interest. Right now I have Jimmy Connors' The Outsider here with me. What a fantastic book. And no matter what, Jimbo will always be the greatest and most spectacular tennis player to ever play the sport.

www.tamiyaclub.com/member.asp?id=23692

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

It's interesting what you can learn from people's experiences. I should read more biographies.

Right now I'm reading "the Like Ability Factor" by Tim Sanders. It's taking a while to get there but i'll also probably finish it tonight, so I'm good with it.

Comment

• cjefferys
                                Duke of Gloat
                                • Apr 23, 2006

A little esoteric, but I am about halfway through "Only Death Is Real: An Illustrated History of Hellhammer and Early Celtic Frost 1981–1985" in which author Tom Gabriel Fischer talks about his struggles with starting a metal band in Switzerland, first Hellhammer (a band almost universally ridiculed at the time but now considered very influential in the extreme metal genre) and then Celtic Frost (of which I am a big fan). A big hardcover with tons of rare photos, this is one of those books where I needed a physical copy rather than an e-book version. This weekend I picked up "New York Rock: From the Rise of The Velvet Underground to the Fall of CBGB", so that one is next on deck.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎