X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by Wee67
    Also on the music front, I'm about 40 pages into "Please Kill Me Now: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk" and so far, its pretty interesting if you're a fan. The book is just quotes from the people on the scene. It starts back in the mid-60's with the Velvets, MC5 and the Stooges. I was heavily involved in the underground music scene back in the 80's and its really driven my tastes ever since. It's cool to read more from these proto and punk artists perspectives.
    Thanks — God knows how long I've had that book but now I'm moving it to the top of my pile! For some reason books I really want to get to sometimes end up getting lost in the shuffle for new books. It's weird.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman- A book that changed lives apparently, it was ok. I expected something less fantasy based i guess, I still like Millman's workouts.

Atomic Habits by James Cleary- Frank and interesting guide to encouraging habits good and discouraging your bad ones. I liked it, nothing terribly earth shattering just some decent understanding of how our brains work.

Marvel Star Trek Omnibus- I like the first 18 Marvel Star Trek comics from the late 1970s, really liked them as a kid so i bought a big volume of them. They hold up!
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Brazoo
        I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon. Not loving it so far. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay was fantastic.
        and thank you. I was considering this based on how much I loved Kavalier & Clay. I was debating because I found Summerland to be just OK. Maybe I'll pick up another Murakami book instead.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Has anyone read Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union? I was considering that one.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

Murakami — I thought Kafka on the Shore was great. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

I haven't read The Yiddish Policeman's Union yet but it is on my pile!

Comment

• Wee67
              Museum Correspondent
              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Brazoo
              Murakami — I thought Kafka on the Shore was great. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

I haven't read The Yiddish Policeman's Union yet but it is on my pile!
              Try A Wild Sheep Chase. It was the first Murakami I read and what drew me to him. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is another good one. Kafka on the Shore, BTW, is my favorite. I really get the impression, though, Murakami readers tend to love the whichever book they read first or second. He's just that type of author.

I really enjoyed IQ84 but it's 12-hundred pages long. It might be better to read another, shorter novel to make sure he's worth that investment for you.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Since I am currently out of work, I have some more time to read lately in between working on some home-improvement projects that had been waiting for me to have time to get to them (and I have nothing but time right now).

I've been altering between prose and graphic novels, mostly sci-fi and crime/detective fiction. I've also spent more time on Goodreads reviewing some of what I've been plowing through (if anyone is on Goodreads and wants to check the reviews out, hit me up and well connect up).

as for prose, I just finished the first Foundation book by Isaac Asimov, something I hadn't read since my freshman year in high school. Before that I read the first two Spenser books by Robert Parker (Godwulf Manuscript & God Save the Child), another of the Ace Conan volumes (Conan the Buccaneers one of the all deCamp/Carter pastiche volumes), one of the Phantom novels (Slave Market of Murcar), Anno Dracula by Kim Newman, the Hand of Fu Manchu by Sax Rohmer (the 3rd Fu Manchu book) and a little Mickey Spillane (The Death Dealers).

for graphic novels, I reread the first three Richard Stark's Parker adaptations by Darwyn Cooke and finally got to the fourth one. I revisted all three volumes of Injection by Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey, the adaptation of Ace Atkins Last Fair Deal Gone Down, a Nick Travers story, Essex County by Jeff Lemire, Something is Killing the Children by James Tynion, Ascender by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Ngyuen (the sequel to Descender which was amazing), The Girl Who Handcuffed Houdini by Cyntha Von Buhler (a Hard Case Crime comic), the first 2 volumes of Black Magick by Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott, the first four volumes of Lazarus by Rucka and Michael Lark, and the first six volumes of The Woods by James Tynion, and the first volume of Dragonlance Classics (collecting the early issues of the DC Dragonlance comic from the late 80s).

I've also been slowly catching up on the pile of new comics that have accumulated that I picked up from my lcs just before the shelter in place orders went into affect, mostly making my way through the DC giants.

i am currently making my way through Shop Talk, a series of interviews with some legendary comic creators conducted by Will Eisner himself, and the next volume of Lazarus. I just finished Asimov's Foundation earlier tonight, and I'm not sure what novel I will dive into next, there are a few possibilities sitting on my desk.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 12, 2016

Steven King...Foxtrot by Bill Amend...Reminisce magazine....
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Confessional
                    Maker & Whatnot
                    • Aug 8, 2012

The Making of the Planet of the Apes / J.W. Rinzler / 2018

One of the two definitive Apes coffee table books, and this one reads like an enthralling novel. Concept art, storyboards, photos, archival documents, interviews and chronology… just fantastic!

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

The Fall was the last book from Camus that I read, and is currently my favorite. Let's see how this goes.

Last edited by J.B.; Apr 8, '20, 3:09 PM.
                      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

Reading “Comic Book Implosion: An Oral History of DC Comics Circa 1978”

From TwoMorrows Publishing... if you read and collected comic books throughout the late 1970’s and remember the DC implosion of that time, you’ll get a kick out of reading how that all went down and hearing from some familiar names (from DC and Marvel) about the behind-the- scenes stuff going on.

Fun insight into the comics industry too.

Comment

• justzeg18
                          Career Member
                          • May 5, 2003

I lost track of this post at some point there...

Most recently I finished The Club King by Peter Gatien, an autobiography of one of the biggest names in the NY club world.
                          I have a soft-spot for 90's club culture and The Club King is a great supplement to the narrative previously presented in Disco Bloodbath/Party Monster by James St. James and Clubland by Frank Owen (if you were so inclined to deep dive).

Another great recent read was The Last Day by Andrew Hunter Murray. Heads-up, it's dystopian/post-apocalyptic but not disease related so maybe not too triggering at the moment. I thought it was a good read, and not a story that I had come across before.

Random read: I finally checked out The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury a few decades late. I honestly don't know what I was expecting (or where I ever would have developed an opinion having not read it) but I was stoked to enjoy it as much as I did which was quite a bit.

Comment

• megoapesnut
                            The name says it all!
                            • Dec 3, 2007

Believe it or not I am re-reading The Stand!!! Just bought the Blu-ray too!

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by megoapesnut
                              Believe it or not I am re-reading The Stand!!! Just bought the Blu-ray too!
                              I don't believe you

Comment

• Wee67
                                Museum Correspondent
                                • Apr 2, 2002

Kidding, kidding, of course.

I'm making my way through A Traitor to His Class, a biography of FDR.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎