Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: watchya readin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Wee67 View Post
    Also on the music front, I'm about 40 pages into "Please Kill Me Now: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk" and so far, its pretty interesting if you're a fan. The book is just quotes from the people on the scene. It starts back in the mid-60's with the Velvets, MC5 and the Stooges. I was heavily involved in the underground music scene back in the 80's and its really driven my tastes ever since. It's cool to read more from these proto and punk artists perspectives.
    Thanks — God knows how long I've had that book but now I'm moving it to the top of my pile! For some reason books I really want to get to sometimes end up getting lost in the shuffle for new books. It's weird.

Blog Entries
    Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman- A book that changed lives apparently, it was ok. I expected something less fantasy based i guess, I still like Millman's workouts.

Atomic Habits by James Cleary- Frank and interesting guide to encouraging habits good and discouraging your bad ones. I liked it, nothing terribly earth shattering just some decent understanding of how our brains work.

Marvel Star Trek Omnibus- I like the first 18 Marvel Star Trek comics from the late 1970s, really liked them as a kid so i bought a big volume of them. They hold up!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazoo View Post
    I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon. Not loving it so far. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay was fantastic.
    and thank you. I was considering this based on how much I loved Kavalier & Clay. I was debating because I found Summerland to be just OK. Maybe I'll pick up another Murakami book instead.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone read Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union? I was considering that one.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Murakami — I thought Kafka on the Shore was great. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

I haven't read The Yiddish Policeman's Union yet but it is on my pile!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazoo View Post
    Murakami — I thought Kafka on the Shore was great. Any suggestions on what I should try next?

I haven't read The Yiddish Policeman's Union yet but it is on my pile!
    Try A Wild Sheep Chase. It was the first Murakami I read and what drew me to him. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is another good one. Kafka on the Shore, BTW, is my favorite. I really get the impression, though, Murakami readers tend to love the whichever book they read first or second. He's just that type of author.

I really enjoyed IQ84 but it's 12-hundred pages long. It might be better to read another, shorter novel to make sure he's worth that investment for you.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.