X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

watchya readin'?

For the last few months I'm trying to read more, it's been absolutely wonderful although I will admit, the discipline is hard to maintain for me. I'm easily distracted.

More of a Non-Fiction type personally, I just finished "You are a Badass at making money" by Jen Sincero (which i'd rate 5/5) and am currently into "How Google Works", which I'm enjoying as well.

What are you reading these days?
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Slowly re-reading Pet Sematary.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I just read the Penguin Horror HC of Ray Russell's gothic fiction. (These are nice, affordable editions, 6 in the series and introduced by Guillermo del Toro.)

That whetted my whistle and now I'm revisiting Poe in a companion volume.

I've always been an avid reader. I don't get distracted, but I find I don't concentrate as well/get sleepy more than I used to.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 7, '18, 8:52 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

I just finished a couple of books: Autnomous by Annalee Newitz, a new sci-fi novel that was recommended by Warren Ellis in his newsletter and that caught my attention. A future (2144 AD) where corporations(especially big pharmaceuticals) have divvied up the world into trade zones and copyrights and trademarks are the most valuable commodity, a female Robin Hood-like drug pirate operating out of a submarine named Jack passes a bad batch of reverse-engineered generic drugs which leads to uncovering corruption at one of the pharma corps, but the more interesting thread through it is the idea of autonomy in AI and human-like machines in this world. Neal Stephenson and others liken the impact of this book to what Gibson's Neuromancer did to cyberpunk over 30 years ago, and it really does explore a lot of new grounds that touchstone on issues facing today;s soiety as all good sci-fi does.

and Strange Weather, a collection of 4 novellas by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son and writer of Locke & Key one of the best new comics of this decade) whose newsletter I subscribe to...

all interesting, but Snapshot (the first) and Rain (the 4th) were the best of the bunch.

I am currently reading Why Comics: From Underground to Everywhere by Hillary Chute a thematic examination of auteurial comics and the cartoonists who make them. Chute was an assistant to art spiegleman on Metamaus and is a professor of art, literature and visual communication at Northeastern University. While things like Siegel & Shuster's Superman and Marvel's Sgt. Fury get some mention (in the chapter on the theme of war) it is cartoonists like spiegleman, Robert Crumb, Los Bros Hernadez, Joe Sacco, Chris Ware, Mariana Satrapi, Linda Barry, Allison Bechdel, and others producing work that doesn't really get distributed in the comic book direct market but in the mass market of the book trade after emerging from the undergrounds that she is examining in this book. It's a fascinating read. I've read a number of these author's works and familiar with some of the others. but it has also presented me with whole new vistas to explore. I have a couple of chapters left to finish.

On deck: The Storm before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic by Michael Duncan (another book brought to my attention by Warren Ellis' weekly newsletter Orbital Operations).

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• pmwasson
          Maker
          • Sep 12, 2007

I didn't know Joe Hill had a new book out. Thanks! I'm going to try Autonomous also.

I recently read Andy Weir's Artemis, which I thought was pretty good. It has some similar themes as his first book, The Martian. The Martian is probably a little bit better, but Artemis was definitely a page-turner and holds up well.
          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

I've been reading Watership Down, but didn't get to read any over the past couple of weeks.

Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King. it's a good read but not really drawing me in like King's books usually do

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
                Supporter of Silliness
                • Jun 20, 2007

I try to read 52 books every year in my quest to read 1,000,000 pages. I've kept track every year since 1995. It's cold, and I'm just looking at reading some junky page-turners and eclectic stuff for right now to pass these winter months. Here's what I'm currently reading, and what's in the queue:

Jo Nesbo - The Thirst. I'm not really a "mystery/crime" kind of guy. But, these usually go quick enough that I can move on to the next piece. I'm about halfway through and it's pretty OK. Not the best one of his, but definitely far from the worst.

Stephen King and Owen King - Sleeping Beauties. I've read everything King has ever written (outside of the Dark Tower Series, which didn't work for me, and a couple of his co-authored pieces), and many of them multiple times. Looking forward to this one.

Alessandra Mattanza - Street Art: Famous Artists Talk About Their Vision. I'm fascinated by the Banksy-types of the world. Both what they do, and how they do it. Hope this one doesn't suck.

Morten Andreas Strøksnes - Shark Drunk: The Art of Catching a Large Shark from a Tiny Rubber Dinghy in a Big Ocean. I know, you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, or by its title. But, this one sounded too good not to pick up. If it sucks, I'll ditch it.

Leon Black - The Book of Leon: Philosophy of a Fool. Man, does this guy crack me up. He steals every scene he's in on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've found that about 2/3 of comedian books are terrible. Hope this one's in the better 1/3.

Andy Weir - Artemis. My sister loaned it to me and said it was "OK." That's sort of the consensus that I've heard from others. All the above books are library ones, so I'll finish those up first before diving into this one. Should have them all finished by Valentine's Day at my usual pace.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, you guys like fiction a whole lot, wonderful to know that we're such a literate bunch.

Anybody else a fan of audio books? I was diagnosed as an auditory learner a few years back and wow, it's opened doors for me.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by drquest
                    I've been reading Watership Down, but didn't get to read any over the past couple of weeks.

One of my all-time favorite books! It doesn’t get nearly as much recognition as the masterpiece it is.
                    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• pmwasson
                      Maker
                      • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Wow, you guys like fiction a whole lot, wonderful to know that we're such a literate bunch.

Anybody else a fan of audio books? I was diagnosed as an auditory learner a few years back and wow, it's opened doors for me.
                      When I say that I read a book, I really mean I listen to them. My library has a great digital audio book library, so I am able to get a lot of book for free. I also occasionally use Audible if I can't wait. I listen while driving, running or when doing chores.

I'm currently listening to two books. Here are some cut-n-paste descriptions:

The Power is a 2016 dystopian science fiction novel by the British writer Naomi Alderman. Its central premise is women developing the ability to release electrical jolts from their fingers, thus leading them to become the dominant gender.

The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick - A funny and tender story about family, friendship, grief, acceptance, and Richard Gere—an entertaining and inspiring tale that will leave you pondering the rhythms of the universe and marveling at the power of kindness and love.

I'm enjoying both of them. The Power seem very relevant with the whole #metoo movement even though it was published in 2016.
                      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

I just finished re-reading Stephen King's 11/22/63, I've always been a sucker for a good time travel novel and this is a great one. Now I'm figuring out what to read next, I always need to be reading something, I'm addicted to books.

I have to admit that I've never listened to an audio book before, I guess I should give it a shot sometime.

Comment

• pmwasson
                          Maker
                          • Sep 12, 2007

I've been reading a lot of time travel books recently. Some good ones:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes. Until now.

Last Year by Robert Charles Wilson - Two events made September 1st a memorable day for Jesse Cullum. First, he lost a pair of Oakley sunglasses. Second, he saved the life of President Ulysses S. Grant.
                          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Oh, those both sound pretty cool!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

For digital/audio books, there are two decent places that I'm sure folks here have likely checked out, but I thought I'd mention them anyway.

BIG FINISH

Award-winning, full-cast original audio dramas from the worlds of Doctor Who, Torchwood, Blake's 7, Class, Dark Shadows, The Avengers, Survivors, The Omega Factor, Star Cops, Sherlock Holmes, Dorian Gray, Pathfinder Legends, The Prisoner, Adam Adamant Lives, Space 1999, Timeslip, Terrahawks, Space Precinct, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Robin Hood, Dark Season, UFO, Stargate

They have a great selection of all kinds of audio dramas featuring Doctor Who, Blake's 7, Dark Shadows, Captain Scarlet, Dan Dare, Sherlock Holmes and lots of other cool stuff.

GRAPHIC AUDIO

GraphicAudio 'A Movie In Your Mind' - Full Cast Dramatized Audiobook Entertainment

Discovered these guys quite by accident a few weeks back when I found one of their sets at Half-Price Bookstore. Lots of different titles and franchises (including MARVEL and DC titles). Their quality is good, but not quite up to part with Big Finish just yet, but still worth checking out.
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎