Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Been slowly grinding away at the original Dragonball manga, but this is what I've accumulated in the last couple weeks:

Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by pmwasson
      I just finished Devolution by Max Brooks, which is a horror story involving a tribe of Big Foots (Big Feet?). He also wrote the zombie book World War Z. I thought the new book was pretty good. Looks like the rights have already been sold to make it into a movie.
      You know Max Brooks is the son of Legendary Comedy Director Mel Brooks, yeah?
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

I just finished Scream With Me: The Enduring Legacy of The Misfits. Admittedly, it's probably about 80% photos of their various albums, singles, flyers, t-shirts, etc. But what photos! I'd be seriously collecting this stuff if I wasn't worried about all the counterfeits floating around out there.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I did exactly the same, pouring through that killer book today! Many of the items pictured come out of few of the best Misfits/Samhain/Danzig collections, so it's really a pleasure to see so much original ephemera documented in one tome.

It sent me into a 'Fits spin… currently listening to Eerie Von's Bad Dream No. 13 and buying rare CDs tonight.

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Just arrived today: The Road Through Wonderland

All roads lead to the little white home on Wonderland Ave., deep in Laurel Canyon.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Just finished rereading Wilde's De Profundis, in my new Folio edition.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• justzeg18
                Career Member
                • May 5, 2003

In the last month or two I enjoyed Robopocalypse & its sequel Robogenesis by Daniel H. Wilson, finally checked out The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton (dug it), and The Life and Afterlife of Harry Houdini by Joe Posnanski.
                I also wrapped up my outbreak/pandemic jag by re-listening to The Stand in its entirety...

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

I'm midway through Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo. Ineed to pick up Vols 4-6.

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

I also picked up this sweet book: Tokusatsu DNA Ultraman Genealoy. It's the companion book to a prop exhibition in Tokyo. It's a history of Tsuburaya, the Ultra Series, and other Tsuburaya series (Spectreman gets a section). It's a great book, and I highly recommend it.

Text is in Japanese, so if you can't read it, that may be an issue...but all photos are captioned in Japanese and English.

Last edited by B-Lister; Nov 23, '20, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Looking at my Goodreads list for 2020 to see what I have read since June when I last updated. Phew let's see,

-finished Abercrombie's First Law trilogy
                      -tried the first book in a few modern fantasy series-The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse, The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang and The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin. Liked them all well enough, but haven't moved to book 2 of any series yet (Jemisin's series just started this year so no book 2 published yet).
                      -started my read through of the Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (I was reading it as they came out through book 6 or 7, but then decided to wait until the series finished, and I am just getting to it now). I've finished books 1-3 and am a 1/3 of the way through book 4.
                      -read the first Lensman book, Triplanetary by E. E. Doc Smith
                      -Pulp, an OGN by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips
                      -Volumes 2 and 3 of Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai (the Fantagraphics volumes)
                      -The Superman Dailies comic strips from 1939-1942
                      -the complete Johnny Comet, Frazetta's classic comic strip
                      -Tarzan in Color Vol. 1 by Burne Hogarth (collecting the first years of Hogarth's Tarzan Sunday comic strip from the 30s)
                      -Cannon by Wally Wood, the classic adventure strip Wood produced for US armed forces periodicals collected in a beautiful edition by Fantagraphics
                      -Bravo for Adventure by Alex Toth
                      -Creepy Presents Alex Toth (collecting all of Toth's work for Warren's Creepy and Eerie mags)
                      -Fantastic Paintings of Frank Frazetta by J. David Spurlock
                      The Complete Canteen Kate (collecting all of Matt Baker's Canteen Kate features from the 50s)

and in addition to working my way through the Wheel of Time, I am currently reading the first Showcase volume of Jonah Hex and my run of Marvel's Conan the Barbarian (currently read up through issue 34, so all of the Barry Windsor Smith years and into the Buscema years).

-M
                      Last edited by MRP; Nov 23, '20, 10:12 PM.
                      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

Sunny Days: The Children's Television Revolution That Changed America

It's about how television started to be seen as a potential educational tool, starting with Mr Rogers and Sesame Street but focusing on its development in the 70s. Along with the big two, it goes into the background of shows like The Electric Company, Zoom, New Zoo Revue and Magic Garden.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

I just finished Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami and I remembered to check in here because Wee67 recommended a couple of his a while back.

I'm going to check out Wee67s recommendations next. Either A Wild Sheep Chase or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, because I thought Sputnik Sweetheart was fantastic.

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Brazoo
                            I just finished Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami and I remembered to check in here because Wee67 recommended a couple of his a while back.

I'm going to check out Wee67s recommendations next. Either A Wild Sheep Chase or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, because I thought Sputnik Sweetheart was fantastic.
                            I haven't read Sputnik Sweetheart. I've been looking for for some fiction in my fiction-then-nonfiction cycle of books so maybe I need to dive back into some Murakami!
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Adam West
                              Museum CPA
                              • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                              In college, i did a (probably terrible) paper on this book, i must confess, I really didn't finish the book back then. I feel like reading it now just out of penance.

It still haunts me, I even saw my prof at SDCC a while back and ducked him out.

Currently reading: When by Daniel Pink
                              I grabbed this book mainly because I'll read any of Pink's efforts, he makes psychology fun!
                              When I was in High School, my English teacher raved about this movie to point that it was a "must see." I had absolutely know idea what it was about and suggested renting the VHS copy on a first date thinking that it must be something if my English Teacher who also was the drama teacher recommended it. LOL....true story. She thought it was funny too.
                              "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                              ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
                                Museum CPA
                                • Apr 14, 2003

I just finished "Honestly" by Michael Sweet (the lead singer of the heavy metal Christian band Stryper). I liked them a lot in High School and early college and then stopped listening to them. I got interested in them again since they are now back together and wanted to hear some of their new songs. There was so much dysfunction in that band and it was interesting to read Michael Sweet start taking blame for the dysfunction and break up, but then blame the other band members...interesting read.

I also read "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" about the Golden State serial killer. There was a miniseries about it and think it was on HBO?

Finally am reading in dribs and drabs "Is There Anything" by Jerry Seinfeld which are his best jokes that he has told since the 1970's.

My reading tastes are all over the place so will read anything that sounds interesting, but have been keeping it somewhat toward light reading since I finally left a company after almost 16 years that was taking a toll on my mental and physical health and have been working at a new company for a little over a month that I love so far.
                                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎