• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Hot Wheels turns 50 today

What an amazingly long time for a toy line to continually sell

Anyone what to share their Hot Wheels memories?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • SpaceCrawler
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 20, 2008

I wish they would have done some anniversary releases of original sets. I know they have sort of done that over the years but few of sets were real true repros and the carded cars were ok, but sort of lacking compared to originals.

Sean

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I'm older than Hot Wheels? Wow. I thought they were way older.

Comment

• Brue
        User without title
        • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        I'm older than Hot Wheels? Wow. I thought they were way older.
        I was going to say the same thing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I stupidly gave most of my die-cast cars (mostly Hot Wheels) to my nephew-in-law when I was in my late teens/early 20s. I could have bought him a new set cheaper, and still kept my childhood toys. Sigh.

I was never a HUGE car guy, but I liked to go to the narrow hallway of our house and have races, crashes, etc. The gold or red-rimmed Hot Wheels always seemed the fastest.

Happy birthday!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• ScottA
            Original Member
            • Jun 25, 2001

I still have all mine from when I was a kid. All in pretty good shape.
            sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• convoy357
              Ranch Hand
              • Jul 30, 2012

I do some Hot Wheels collecting. I prefer the vintage redline cars, but I buy a few of the new issues also. Heres a pic of a set I put together this past year......

......this is an original 1st issue "Sweet 16" set from 1968. Thats Hot Wheels 1st year of release. I managed to put together a complete set of all 16 models and all in matching green color. Trust me it sounds alot easier than it actually was to round these up. Several were not exactly cheap either. They are fun to collect and they come in a maddening variety of colors and variations.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by convoy357
                Heres a pic of a set I put together this past year......
                Wow! That is super cool.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tay666
                  Career Member
                  • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by convoy357
                  Trust me it sounds alot easier than it actually was to round these up. Several were not exactly cheap either. They are fun to collect and they come in a maddening variety of colors and variations.
                  Doesn't sound very easy to me.
                  I don't collect them, but my son loved them. So, I have a pretty good idea how many models you had to sift through to find what you were looking for.
                  I'd call what you did a rather impressive accomplishment.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 23, 2013

Hooray for Hot Wheels!

I noticed recently that the re-used the Megaforce vehicle and turned it into Luke Skywalker's car for Star Wars. (Rebel Alliance)

Anyway, I used to have a purple car from Hot Wheels, I think they made it. It had the hinged canopy.

Did anyone have Kidco Burnin Key Cars?

Hot Wheels makes me think about them.

I think this is the one that I used to own-
                    Key Cars.jpg

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Key cars were awesome. They really shot off with quite a bit of force. We used to shoot them at each other. :-)

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

I had forgotten all about Key Cars until just now! I vividly remember squeezing that plastic key.

Back to Hot Wheels. They were neat, but I was much more into action figures. However, many of my friends collected them and had several blue cases of them along with tracks to run them on, etc. On top of that, my dad is a car guy and always loved Matchbox as well as Hot Wheels. He didn't get the action figure thing, but was always happy to buy me Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars. So, that's how I obtained most of the ones that I owned.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎