Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

...and to think Sears was largest store in the United States in 1989 (last year of being number one).
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

[QUOTE=cjefferys;1350149]Between the way the employees are being treated while execs still received big bonuses (for what, doing a crappy job??) and the deceptive pricing that's been going on with their closing sales, I've refused to step into the local Sears that's closing. I honestly feel bad for the employees working there, but Sears deserves to die, they turned into a completely crap store chain.[/QUOTE

Yeah once they screwed their people, the public checked out.

What's galling about this is how needless it was. Sears had the infrastructure that I could order anything I wanted and it would be sent for free, to a store across the street from my house in two days.

I never used this feature, yet I'd drive half way across town because Canadian Tire had the same item on their superior website.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Well... Kmarts are closing along with Sears...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/sear...re-stores.html

My local Kmart of 38 years is one of them that's closing. My daughter has a friend that works there too. It's much closer and convenient than going to the local godawful Walmart(I hate that place).
        Last edited by drquest; Jan 4, '18, 5:05 PM.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Walmart is horrible, I hate that store too.

But we go to Target once a week, much better than Walmart.
          sigpic

Comment

• Bravestarr
            Museum Super Collector
            • Mar 26, 2017

To bad for Sears liked it but I really miss KMart

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

K-Mart and Sears getting into bed together always seemed like an odd choice and doom for both. I had tons of memories at K-Mart and a few at Sears, but Sears was always a "name you could trust". The sort of place you'd go make expensive hardware purchases because you knew Sears would back it forever. But as they slowly disappear so too goes that trust.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                Yep...I forgot to mention Nichols too. Another little department store gone.
                Nichols was a huge store and had a kick-butt seasonal toy department. I recall a large Eagle Force display one year.

I gave up on Sears years ago, ugh. I'm still a devoted JCP shopper. Walmart I hate with a passion.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

we still buy our appliances at Sears but that is about it. maybe occasionally a tool. I hate Best Buy and WalMart, we do shop at Target fairly often

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Sad to see it go like this. The Sears wish book was a big part of my childhood and my Dad loved their Craftsman tools.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                      K-Mart and Sears getting into bed together always seemed like an odd choice and doom for both.
                      Yeah, I agree. So lets have two crappy outdated store chains that can't adapt with the times combine forces, yeah that will work!

It always amuses me to hear Americans say that Walmart is terrible and go to Target instead, because in Canada, Walmarts are nice, clean stores that are always very busy, while Target Canada was a huge boondoggle that crashed and burned in less than two years. But man, the K-marts still existing in the US are dark, depressing, dirty and disorganized stores, I haven't been to one in years, I'd be almost scared to set foot in one now!
                      Last edited by cjefferys; Jan 4, '18, 8:53 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        It always amuses me to hear Americans say that Walmart is terrible and go to Target instead, because in Canada, Walmarts are nice, clean stores that are always very busy, while Target Canada was a huge boondoggle that crashed and burned in less than two years.
                        It was the inventory system that they had to use in Canada, it crushed them. I knew a lot of people behind the scenes on that one, it's fascinating.

Comment

• jacoblb
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 7, 2009

In Tucson, we've only had one K-Mart store in existence. I had to drive on the other side of town just to buy the jumbo sized Godzilla movie toy when it came out for $39. Cheaper than TRU who wanted $50-ish for it and never stocked the toy well. I probably hadn't stepped inside a then, former Super K-Mart store, since sometime in the early 90's.

We've two malls in Tucson that have a Sears inside them. I've no idea how long they'll last, but neither aren't long for the world.
                          My father and grandfather both worked for Sears up through their retirement. Sears was better back in the era of my WW2 Grandfather. He had started up and ran the automotive repair division when that got introduced in the Park Mall. He had a 4 year college degree and was management level. Then as he aged and was old he became a retail worker in the hardware area. He said the managers were mad because workers like him made more money than management on account of commission bonus.
                          My father started his journey at Sears post Vietnam era first as a furniture delivery person but then moved into mobile appliance repair, where he'd drive a van to customer's homes, he recently retired and had nothing kind to say about Sears as a corporation. He had lost so much of his retirement savings based on how badly the company and Wallstreet performed. My father was one of the oldest and longest working Sears workers of his generation. There aren't those kinds of jobs anymore where people loyally work for a single employer up through to age of retirement. I was always discouraged for working for Sears as the writing has been on the wall for several decades.

My teenage daughter's best friend started a seasonal job at Sears and they've kept her on and at least her location will stay around who know how much longer. But don't worry the Kardashians have everyone's back and will save the company along with the CEO.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
                            It was the inventory system that they had to use in Canada, it crushed them. I knew a lot of people behind the scenes on that one, it's fascinating.
                            Yeah, I've heard that and it would likely explain all the reports of empty store shelves there that I often heard about. When Walmart started in Canada, they learned how the distribution system worked here, adapted to it and had much success. Meanwhile, Target just arrogantly tried to use the same system they had in the US, thinking they knew what they were doing and didn't take any advice from people familiar with how things work differently in Canada. And then failed spectacularly.

I live in a border town so everyone here was very familiar with the US Targets, so the comparisons between the US and Canada ones were very damning. The Canadian ones were basically Zellers stores with a new coat of paint but a lot less stock, much less selection than US Targets and much higher prices. I'm not the only one around here who visited one when they first opened and never went back again.
                            Last edited by cjefferys; Jan 5, '18, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, that's what i called it "much cleaner Zellers"

A lot of talent and buyers I worked with got hired away to work at Target, i feel bad for them.

Target didn't bring any new brands to Canada, huge mistake.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

The Sears in my city of Oakland closed a few years ago, but the one in nearby Hayward (18 miles away), is not one of the ones slated to be closed. So I’ll still have a Sears in my area for the time being...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎