Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a 1982 video game junkie

Images
    82, I think, was the year I got my first game console. An Atari 5200. Amazing graphics for its day but unfortunately terrible controllers.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

At the time, I felt that we were the only kids in the neighbourhood who didn't have an Atari yet. Finally got one Christmas of 81 or 82 after tons of hounding from my sister and me. And of course, my dad, who was the main resistance point about getting one to begin with, ended up playing it as much as we did!

Then finally, the Commodore 64 came along, I bought one and we had a dual disc drive at our high school computer lab (which had Commodore PETs, not 64's but the disc drives were compatible) and figured out how to illegally copy video games for the 64, SCORE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjefferys View Post

Then finally, the Commodore 64 came along, I bought one and we had a dual disc drive at our high school computer lab (which had Commodore PETs, not 64's but the disc drives were compatible) and figured out how to illegally copy video games for the 64, SCORE!
    When I brought the C64 into our house, my father lost his marbles insisting it was just another Atari. I had to prepare a defense not unlike Aticus Finch proclaiming it as an educational tool and one I would use to print out my homework. I did do that but mainly i was playing space taxi and Bruce Lee.....

Images
    Had the Sears version of the Intellivision myself. Then got the Coleco Gemini(an Atari 2600 clone) a couple years later. The cool thing about the Gemini was the controller. It had both the joystick and the paddle on it. I remember seeing the Odyssey back in '85 at a hardware store of all places.

I got an Atari for Christmas in 8th grade (so would have been December 1982). My favorite game I got was Pitfall by Activision and the Empire Strikes Back game which was essentially the battle on Hoth with you in a snowspeeder vs. an endless army of Walkers. I also loved my home version of Venture by Coleco, which as a D&D fanatic at the time was basically a video game version of a hack and slash dungeon, and one I played in arcades wherever I found it. I was also fascinated by the concept of the Swordquest games, but the play on the first one was not very good and the contest Atari had for it bombed and the series never finished. I also spent a lot of time playing Riddle of the Sphinx, which I got just before spring break that year in school.

I would sometimes bring cartridges to school to trade with other kids to try other games, and a few of my parents friends with kids had Ataris too, so we would swap games between visits to keep things fresh. Any new games I got were either bought by me with money saved form odd jobs (I didn't get an allowance, I had to work to earn any spending money I had and my parents only bought toys or games for my birthday, Christmas or an occasional reward for a good report card). The only thing I could convince them to buy for me in between those occasions were paperback novels to read, so finding alternate means of getting new games to try was an imperative.

The only thing about Intellivision that intrigued me was the AD&D game I saw advertised, but the few times I played anything on Intellivision at friend's houses, I hated the controls. I did however want to get a Colecovision, but my parents were having nothing to do with it after having shelled out the money for the Atari and a second TV for the house for me to play it on that Christmas. Once I hit high school in fall of '83 (I went to a Catholic high school the next town over so didn't know many kids form 8th grade there, and I had been the new kid at the school in 8th grade so didn't keep in touch with anyone from that school once the school year was over), my sources of new games had dried up and I got tired of the games I had, plus I found a new group of kids to play D&D with, so I played less and less. A few new games at Christmas time (Joust) renewed my interest for a bit, but by the time freshman year was over, I wasn't playing much at all, and by junior year I had sold the console and all the games to a neighbor to help pay for driver's ed courses my parents required me to take (and pay for) before they would let me get my license.

-M

Images
    The only thing about Intellivision that intrigued me was the AD&D game I saw advertised, but the few times I played anything on Intellivision at friend's houses, I hated the controls.
    The two AD&D cartridges for Intellivision are still some of my favourite games for the system, particularly the first one. It's one of the games I still revisit pretty regularly.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

Images
    ^Second one is pretty good too. The fun part is all of the doors in the game and not knowing if there are any monsters hiding behind the doors. Unless you find the spell book that lets you see through doors.

That was the time I was hooked on games too.
    Though, we didn't have a game console :(
    My parents never got one. Hell, we never got a VCR either
    But my 2 best friends both had Atari, so I played a lot at their houses.
    Mainly though, I got my fix at the Lawson's up the road. They had Space Invaders.
    And I fed that thing quarters until I could roll it over a couple times on one play.
    Then they replaced it with Asteroids. Same thing. I played it so much I could drop a quarter in it and play for hours.
    Then they got Ms PacMan. Same thing.

Meanwhile, at Dale's house I played tons of Pitfall, and Star Wars.
    And at Art's house I played PacMan and Combat.

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    When I brought the C64 into our house, my father lost his marbles insisting it was just another Atari. I had to prepare a defense not unlike Aticus Finch proclaiming it as an educational tool and one I would use to print out my homework. I did do that but mainly i was playing space taxi and Bruce Lee.....
    Hell yeah, Space Taxi and Bruce Lee were two of the all time best C64 games! Luckily my parents didn't give me much grief, I somehow scraped up all the money to pay for it myself (over $600 in 1985 dollars just for the computer. Another $300 plus for the disc drive!). Luckily I didn't need to buy a monitor, I managed to take over a small 10" color TV we had as an extra. I played more games on that thing then I did on our Atari!

I was a Atari kid as were several other kids I knew back in our old neighborhood. We got our first system in 1982. We would go from house to house cause each person had different games. I remember the huge deal it was when I got pac man for my birthday. It cost 80 bucks!
    We had one family who had intellevision and they hosted our cub scouts. That's how I spent my cub scouts playing intellevision..haha.
    Of course when Nintendo came out that was the end of Atari for us...
    Fast forward Christmas 2017 ...I got the Atari 8 gold. My nieces couldn't stop playing the games. That and the nostalgia for Atari nowdays gives me some hope...