Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

The only thing about Intellivision that intrigued me was the AD&D game I saw advertised, but the few times I played anything on Intellivision at friend's houses, I hated the controls.
    The two AD&D cartridges for Intellivision are still some of my favourite games for the system, particularly the first one. It's one of the games I still revisit pretty regularly.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

^Second one is pretty good too. The fun part is all of the doors in the game and not knowing if there are any monsters hiding behind the doors. Unless you find the spell book that lets you see through doors.

Comment

• tay666
        Career Member
        • Dec 27, 2008

That was the time I was hooked on games too.
        Though, we didn't have a game console :(
        My parents never got one. Hell, we never got a VCR either
        But my 2 best friends both had Atari, so I played a lot at their houses.
        Mainly though, I got my fix at the Lawson's up the road. They had Space Invaders.
        And I fed that thing quarters until I could roll it over a couple times on one play.
        Then they replaced it with Asteroids. Same thing. I played it so much I could drop a quarter in it and play for hours.
        Then they got Ms PacMan. Same thing.

Meanwhile, at Dale's house I played tons of Pitfall, and Star Wars.
        And at Art's house I played PacMan and Combat.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by palitoy
          When I brought the C64 into our house, my father lost his marbles insisting it was just another Atari. I had to prepare a defense not unlike Aticus Finch proclaiming it as an educational tool and one I would use to print out my homework. I did do that but mainly i was playing space taxi and Bruce Lee.....
          Hell yeah, Space Taxi and Bruce Lee were two of the all time best C64 games! Luckily my parents didn't give me much grief, I somehow scraped up all the money to pay for it myself (over $600 in 1985 dollars just for the computer. Another $300 plus for the disc drive!). Luckily I didn't need to buy a monitor, I managed to take over a small 10" color TV we had as an extra. I played more games on that thing then I did on our Atari!

Comment

• Spawn67
            Career Member
            • Aug 14, 2009

I was a Atari kid as were several other kids I knew back in our old neighborhood. We got our first system in 1982. We would go from house to house cause each person had different games. I remember the huge deal it was when I got pac man for my birthday. It cost 80 bucks!
            We had one family who had intellevision and they hosted our cub scouts. That's how I spent my cub scouts playing intellevision..haha.
            Of course when Nintendo came out that was the end of Atari for us...
            Fast forward Christmas 2017 ...I got the Atari 8 gold. My nieces couldn't stop playing the games. That and the nostalgia for Atari nowdays gives me some hope...

Comment

• Godzilla
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 3, 2002

I bought my wife an Odyssey 2 for Christmas last year with a near complete library of games. We had a great day playing through those.
              Mortui Vivos Docent
              The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• SKotK
                Career Member
                • Mar 11, 2014

1982 is special to me for video gaming as it's the year that the Vectrex came out!

My parents got rid of our TV in 1975, so I didn't have one growing up. That meant the Atari or Intellivision (or even Pong!) just simply wasn't an option for me. However, my uncle had an Atari 2600, so I got to play it over there fairly often. I would even borrow cartridges from kids at school sometimes to take over there and play, to my dad's chagrin. I had forgotten how expensive those cartridges were...my dad was afraid I would lose or break them and he'd have to pay for them. Of course, I wanted a game system so badly I could taste it, but there was nothing to plug it into, so all I could do was stare at magazines and catalogs and dream about it.

1982 Sears Wishbook p637 - Vectrex & Adventure Vision.jpg

Then the Sears Christmas catalog for 1982 came out, and there was not just one but TWO game systems featured that had their own built-in screen: the Vectrex and the Entex Adventure Vision! There was no excuse now not to be able to have a game system, and I knew right away what I wanted for Christmas that year. My first choice was actually the Adventure Vision because for some reason it looked like it had a better screen (in reality it was far worse). So when Christmas came, off we went to Sears to get the Adventure Vision. Unfortunately, they had none in stock, so we went with our second choice: the Vectrex.

Turns out the Vectrex was completely awesome. It had vector graphics and a vector screen like Asteroids and Battle Zone, making gameplay much faster than other consoles and computers, and cartridges plugged in the side. It had a built-in Asteroids clone called Mine Storm that was actually better than Asteroids, and we got 4 additional cartridges - one of which talked! It is still one of the coolest game systems ever made, and I still have it and still play it to this day. In fact, I've recently been building up my collection and I now own most of the 30-some standard Vectrex games.

Incidentally, while gameplay and graphics on the Adventure Vision (as well as game selection - there were only 4 games ever made) really sucked compared to the Vectrex, finding a working Adventure Vision now is like finding a unicorn. If we'd gone that route, that machine would be worth thousands of dollars today. But the Vectrex (relatively rare in its own right) was such a better system to own, and I'm glad we went with it instead.

--SKot
                Attached Files
                Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎