X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

New Reads...Post 'em if you got 'em

After being basically a DC and Marvel, for the main part, reader for close to 40 years...I'm finally done with both. I'll be picking a few up if the JSA ever come back and for Marvel I basically will be picking up the big 4 (Hulk, Thor, Cap, and Iron Man) until they hit anniversary issues. I think Thor is done out of the big four with the Issue 700 that came out when Marvel started it's most recent reboot. Starlin basically getting the boot by Marvel Editors and being told they don't want him writing any new Thanos/Captain Marvel stories any more was my cue to be done with Marvel. Been looking mostly to the Indy stuff again and have to say I'm pretty impressed with some of the options. My most recent one is a Zenascope title called Black Sable. I picked up issue 3 at my local comic store just to see what it was about and was very impressed with what looks to be a back to basics formula with some really impressive artwork in my opinion. Still not crazy about the multiple covers crap that ALL the companies are doing these days. BTW, it's not a usual Zenascope book. Zenascope has been known to do basically T & A type of books. Black Sable is a 6 issue series about Space Pirates. The art is very reminiscent of George Perez meets Mike Grell meets the grandness of space in Jim Starlin's work. Very enjoyable and I hope they do more than just a 6 issue mini series. Here's a look at one of the 5 covers for issue 1. The cover artist is not the interior artist. If I can find a web pic of the interior art I will post it...it needs to be seen or looked at to see what I am talking about with the cross between Perez/Grell/Stalin:

• Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

From the issue 3 that initially picked up to look through...this was the first page that hit me when I started looking at it and said "Damn...that top panel is Perez. That bottom panel is Grell." It's good to see that some of the newer artists aren't "complete cookie cutters" when it comes to style/pencils/art. Inspiration sin't a bad thing. For the most part it reminds more of early DC Perez style mixed with Crimson Plague:

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Last post on the night...Little bit of a Starlin's Dreadstar feel to this page:

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

As for single issues, I don't get much anymore, I think I have less than 5 books on my pull list. Terry Moore's Motor Girl just wrapped up it's last issue as did Bug! The Adventures of a Forager by mike Allred as part of DC's Young Animal line, so that's two less. I am still getting Future Quest Presents featuring the Hanna Barbaera characters, Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer books from Dark Horse (Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil is the current mini in progress), and Half Past Danger 2 from IDW.

Half Past Danger is a mix of pulpy adventure and sci-fi, kind of Indiana Jones meets Jurassic Park set in the WWII era with a ninja and Captain America thrown in for good measure. Think Indiana Jones fighting Nazis on an island where dinosaurs survived. The first mini came out about 5 years ago, and this is the sequel.

I do follow some Marvel and DC stuff, my wife gets me a Marvel Unlimited subscription renewal every year for my birthday, which I mainly use to read Silver & Bronze stuff, but follow a handful of books that catch my interest plus the Star Wars stuff, and I have print subscriptions to Doctor Strange and Black Panther. My local library offers hoopla, so I can read most of the DC stuff I am interested in for free legally there, but I really only am following Green Arrow, Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

Most of what I buy and read is in trade form, not single issues.

I just read volume three of Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey's Injection, a weird science type of thriller. I have in my to read pile from Christmas gifts Vol. 1 of Walt Simonson's Rgnarok, Vol. 1 of the Golden age Wonder Woman, a couple of volumes of the early Usagi Yojimbo collections, and Bone Sharps, Cowboys and Thunder Lizards by Jim Ottavani and crew (Ottavani does wonderful science history comics like Two-Fisted Science and Dignifying Science) telling of the wild and wooly adventures of the golden Age of paleontology and the wild-west like rivalries and exploits of the early dinosaur fossil hunter.

there's even a trailer for this one on youtube...

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

speaking of trailers, there's another book I really dig called Barbarian Lord by Matt Smith (it's kind of a Conan vibe with a hint of vikings that also has a trailer

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎