X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

The Shape of Water

<Finally!> saw it today… absolutely such a beautifully, layered and satisfying movie.

A homage to classic monster films set within the moral fails of the Cold War, Civic Rights Movement, 20th Century Americana and Vietnam, told through the full-on poetry of life, love and death… brilliant work. If you have an eye for art direction, creature design and cinematography, you'll certainly dig it as there's an incredible attention to these details.

Now I understand why Del Toro taking a two year break; he's earned it. Viva la Bleak House!
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

I am looking forward to seeing this; from what I’ve seen and read, it looks like it’s going to be another fantastic outing from del Toro.
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• pmwasson
      Maker
      • Sep 12, 2007

I'm going to see it tomorrow
      sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• YoungOnce
        Career Member
        • Aug 29, 2007

I can't for the life of me find it here in central Kentucky. The release schedule has been odd to say the least. Looks like it will come to the Kentucky Theatre (which is our downtown artsy/obscure flick screen around here) in mid January. Guess I'll have to try to catch it then.

Hey Earth2Chris... Have you seen it showing anywhere else?

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Del Toro is who Universal should have running the Monster universe.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bravestarr
            Museum Super Collector
            • Mar 26, 2017

Looks brilliant

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

Really impressed by it, but I think del Toro is one of the best directors around. This has been compared to "Beauty and the Beast." With this his version of that story, and Pan's Labyrinth a take on Alice in Wonderland, could we get a third fairy tale for a sort of trilogy? Perhaps a twist on Peter Pan?
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I’m going to try and check it out this weekend.
                sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

my daughter and her boyfriend went and saw it and said it was awesome. I am hearing talk of best picture nomination for it

Comment

• steelcouch
                    Career Member
                    • Feb 11, 2006

I liked how every actor fit their part. Del toro has a talent for picking the right actors for his films. It was very well acted and different. I never really gave Pans Labyrinth a chance because it was a subtitle film but once I watched it, I was instantly hooked to Del Toro’s films.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

Saw it last night. It's very, very good. Perfect piece for the times we live in, really. Terrific characters, wonderful cast, text book perfect direction. It's a small, intimate story, and that's a nice break from the usual big screen spectacle I normally go to see.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Seems fitting to put this here, my friend Sean is the one behind the head.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Just saw it. Sumptuous to look at, as expected. A very earnest, lovely story. There are a few surprises, but really just a few. It's mostly what you think it is - an arthouse Beauty and the Beast with the Gill Man. Mostly. The performances are absolutely amazing, and in some cases, heartbreaking.

Del Toro is top shelf.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Glad that it got so many Oscar nods, including Best Picture. It will be interesting to see how many what is considered largely a genre piece will be able to land. I’d love to see it nab both Best Picture and Best Director, but I have a feeling 3 Billboads will likely rout it.
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Double post. Sorry!
                              Last edited by emeraldknight47; Jan 27, '18, 3:00 PM. Reason: Double Post

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎