• Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

One word to describe the prequels --- pompous

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

I wanted to like them. I tried to convince myself after watching Phantom Menace that I liked it. As time went on however, I find them unwatchable.

The story seems not planned out to fit with the original trilogy. I mean, if someone who had never seen any of them tried to watch them in order, they destroy the shocking reveal in Empire.

The acting is very flat. How can actors that are great in every other movie, such as Ewan McGregor, be this unwatchable? Possible because they weren't given proper direction. Probably because they were trying to act in a giant green room to a green tape mark on the wall. I feel no emotional connection to anyone, and I can't even tell who our protagonist is. It probably should be Obi-Wan, but is it? It's not Anakin, not Jar-Jar, not Qui-Gon so I guess it falls to Obi-Wan, but it's not played that way.

The effects have aged poorly. The backgrounds look very artificial. There are complete sequences that might as well be cut scenes from a video game. And furthermore, the world doesn't even look like Star Wars. As much as I think Rogue One is boring, it LOOKS exactly like the Star Wars universe from the original trilogy.

I don't hate the prequels. It's actually worse. I'm indifferent to them. They've stirred as much emotion to me as 2016's Ghostbusters did. I have no connection to it at all and it might as well not exist.

Having said all that, I have movies that I know aren't good, and maybe they're even flat out bad movies, that I like despite their flaws because I find them entertaining or fun or whatever. I have an emotional connection to them. And there are plenty of movies that the masses love that I can't stand.

Like what you like.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
        I wanted to like them. I tried to convince myself after watching Phantom Menace that I liked it. As time went on however, I find them unwatchable.

The story seems not planned out to fit with the original trilogy. I mean, if someone who had never seen any of them tried to watch them in order, they destroy the shocking reveal in Empire.
        As I mentioned before The best way to watch the films is the machete order it excludes episode 1,
        known as Machete order (4, 5, 2, 3, 6) it treats the prequel films as an extended flashback within the original trilogy.
        Thus saving the big reveal in empire.the only change I would make would be to add rogue one in the beginning.
        New order being ;
        Rogue one, IV, V, II, III, VI, VII, VIII.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by fallensaviour
          As I mentioned before The best way to watch the films is the machete order it excludes episode 1,
          known as Machete order (4, 5, 2, 3, 6) it treats the prequel films as an extended flashback within the original trilogy.
          Thus saving the big reveal in empire.the only change I would make would be to add rogue one in the beginning.
          New order being ;
          Rogue one, IV, V, II, III, VI, VII, VIII.
          I think I'll go IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and leave it at that.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost

The acting is very flat. How can actors that are great in every other movie, such as Ewan McGregor, be this unwatchable? Possible because they weren't given proper direction. Probably because they were trying to act in a giant green room to a green tape mark on the wall. I feel no emotional connection to anyone, and I can't even tell who our protagonist is. It probably should be Obi-Wan, but is it? It's not Anakin, not Jar-Jar, not Qui-Gon so I guess it falls to Obi-Wan, but it's not played that way.

The effects have aged poorly. The backgrounds look very artificial. There are complete sequences that might as well be cut scenes from a video game. And furthermore, the world doesn't even look like Star Wars. As much as I think Rogue One is boring, it LOOKS exactly like the Star Wars universe from the original trilogy.

I don't hate the prequels. It's actually worse. I'm indifferent to them. They've stirred as much emotion to me as 2016's Ghostbusters did. I have no connection to it at all and it might as well not exist.

Having said all that, I have movies that I know aren't good, and maybe they're even flat out bad movies, that I like despite their flaws because I find them entertaining or fun or whatever. I have an emotional connection to them. And there are plenty of movies that the masses love that I can't stand.

Like what you like.
            Spot on...
            sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
              The curveball had to be in the performance, Anakin should have been your favourite character.
              agreed, if it was truly the first time we meet these characters and know nothing of them then Ani should be likable and then gradually have him crash and burn. He came across as a smug brat from the get go, so there was no real downfall for him, just someone pushing his buttons to bend him to the dark side.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

I liked parts of the prequels, and I'll still watch them. They suffer from the fact that Lucas doesn't have great storytelling abilities, and did his best work when a veteran screenwriter helped steer the ship. Once George ruled on his own, I found his lack of skills disturbing.
                At the time, I thought that Lucas ruined parts of the prequels with inappropriate slapstick humor, like C3PO losing his head and screwing it on another droid. Little did I know what was to come later on...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                  The curveball had to be in the performance, Anakin should have been your favourite character.
                  Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  so there was no real downfall for him, just someone pushing his buttons to bend him to the dark side.
                  Agreed. The Prequels don't work because you never like Anakin. Starts as unlikable kid then becomes a creepy teen stalker and finally a child killing sociopath. His scenes with Padme makes my skin crawl. There's no tragic once noble hero's fall from grace and you never like him. It also messes up the original trilogy because the character is now unredeemable.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Agreed. The Prequels don't work because you never like Anakin. Starts as unlikable kid then becomes a creepy teen stalker and finally a child killing sociopath. His scenes with Padme makes my skin crawl. There's no tragic once noble hero's fall from grace and you never like him. It also messes up the original trilogy because the character is now unredeemable.
                    Exactly! Even knowing Annakin's fate it would have made a difference if he had been at all likeable to begin with. I think the biggest problem with the prequels is that Lucas could do whatever he wanted. Some times creative people need a bit of control.

Comment

• Madcap70
                      • Dec 4, 2017

Because they are an original idea and not a "Clone" (pardon the pun) of the original trilogy like the sequel movies are....

Comment

• ProfessorArturoLived
                        • Sep 22, 2017

A hero's fall from grace is only tragic if they are ever a hero. They lost me a soon as the virgin birth of Anakin and midichlorians were mentioned. They never recovered.

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Why all the hate?

I decided I was being too hard on them, and it would be OK to rewatch them with Eleanor (age 11).
                          This time going into it with a positive attitude and low expectations, it should have been OK.

Nope. It is terrible. IF you had seen them before the originals and you were a child, they would be fine. 4th graders I taught at the time of its release liked lots of action, colorful scenes, and fun (albeit 2 dimensional) characters. The kids ignored plot and dialogue, and felt no need to fit it into the story.
                          the
                          1. Teenage Anakin
                          2. Trade war dispute central plot
                          4. Immaculate conception and Mitichlorians
                          5. CGI that at the time was bad because it didn't feel organic and it was overused. Today it looks like the CGI qualifies it for MST2K.
                          6. Overuse of Jar Jar and other CGI over the top characters (not Jar Jar alone)
                          7. Bad dialogue, especially Anni/Amidala
                          8. Flying R2, Vader made 3PO?
                          9. Wasted talent - there were good actors (even Christiansen was good in a previous film), but they all came across flat or ridiculous
                          10. And the worst part: 9/10 year old anakin. (his friends and the pod race were awful too)

So basically it had a very poor story, poor character development, poor directing, bad dialogue, and it pooped on the original trilogy.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Brue
                            Why all the hate?

I decided I was being too hard on them, and it would be OK to rewatch them with Eleanor (age 11).
                            This time going into it with a positive attitude and low expectations, it should have been OK.

Nope. It is terrible. IF you had seen them before the originals and you were a child, they would be fine. 4th graders I taught at the time of its release liked lots of action, colorful scenes, and fun (albeit 2 dimensional) characters. The kids ignored plot and dialogue, and felt no need to fit it into the story.
                            the
                            1. Teenage Anakin
                            2. Trade war dispute central plot
                            4. Immaculate conception and Mitichlorians
                            5. CGI that at the time was bad because it didn't feel organic and it was overused. Today it looks like the CGI qualifies it for MST2K.
                            6. Overuse of Jar Jar and other CGI over the top characters (not Jar Jar alone)
                            7. Bad dialogue, especially Anni/Amidala
                            8. Flying R2, Vader made 3PO?
                            9. Wasted talent - there were good actors (even Christiansen was good in a previous film), but they all came across flat or ridiculous
                            10. And the worst part: 9/10 year old anakin. (his friends and the pod race were awful too)

So basically it had a very poor story, poor character development, poor directing, bad dialogue, and it pooped on the original trilogy.
                            This. All of this.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Madcap70
                              Because they are an original idea and not a "Clone" (pardon the pun) of the original trilogy like the sequel movies are....

They are not an original idea. The preface to the novelization of Star Wars sums the entire prequel Trilogy in a single page. That page is enough.
                              They attempt to tell backstories of existing characters. Also not original.

The new trilogy does very much borrow heavily from the original trilogy. It is intentional, because that is what fans wanted - BUT they also wanted -nay -needed a fresh start. So while you see the original trilogy reimagined, it also sets up a new generation.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                                Persistent Member
                                • Mar 23, 2013

Darth Maul fighting on Naboo was really cool.

I have become used to all the other Prequel components.

It was fun seeing the Slave 1 in space combat, it was one of the good highlights.

It's just that some things do not connect with the Original Trilogy, but I give the Star Wars Prequel Films a pass on that. Almost any movie or TV series can be torn apart. Any contradictions will stand out.

The end product does put some characters in a bad light, so the audience can ignore the Prequel storyline or choose options like trying to fit all the plot's new information into a satisfying whole, giving reason and explanations to anything that does not match up to the audience's perspective and actual stated Original Trilogy story facts.

I would have loved it if they would have had a Sequel Trilogy right before and in between the Prequels.

I think it would have been so cool to have had Harrison Ford play Han Solo in the time period of when he made Air Force One! That would have looked incredible!

Then Harrison Ford could have still came back again for The Force Awakens.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎