Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I don't hate them, but Anakin should have been Lancelot and instead he was Mordred. I was rooting for Obi-Wan the whole time.

Comment

• toothaction
      Career Member
      • Jul 15, 2017

Because I'm procrastinating rather than taking care of something much more important...

Here's 29 films by 26 filmmakers, released between '99 and '09, that I very much wish that people felt like talking about instead of the Trilogy of Terror:

1999:
      eXistenZ - David Cronenberg
      Galaxy Quest - Dean Parisot
      The Iron Giant - Brad Bird
      The Matrix - The Wachowskis

2001:
      A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Steven Spielberg
      Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - Shusuke Kaneko

2002:
      Minority Report - Steven Spielberg
      Solaris - Steven Soderbergh

2003:
      Code 46 - Michael Winterbottom

2004:
      Dead Leaves - Hiroyuki Imaishi
      Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Michel Gondry
      Night Watch - Timur Bekmambetov

2005:
      Steamboy - Katsuhiro Otomo
      War of the Worlds - Steven Spielberg
      The Wild Blue Yonder - Werner Herzog

2006:
      A Scanner Darkly - Richard Linklater
      Children of Men - Alfonso Cuarón
      Day Watch - Timur Bekmambetov
      The Host - Bong Joon-ho
      Idiocracy - Mike Judge
      Paprika - Satoshi Kon
      V for Vendetta - James McTeigue

2007:
      Big Man Japan - Hitoshi Matsumoto
      The Mist - Frank Darabont
      Sunshine - Danny Boyle
      Timecrimes - Nacho Vigalondo

2008:
      Cloverfield - Matt Reeves

2009:
      District 9 - Neill Blomkamp
      Moon - Duncan Jones

Wiki designated the lot of them SF. If'n you're bored, give 'em a watch!

Okay. Carry on.
      >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by toothaction
        Because I'm procrastinating rather than taking care of something much more important...

Here's 29 films by 26 filmmakers, released between '99 and '09, that I very much wish that people felt like talking about instead of the Trilogy of Terror:

1999:
        eXistenZ - David Cronenberg
        Galaxy Quest - Dean Parisot
        The Iron Giant - Brad Bird
        The Matrix - The Wachowskis

2001:
        A.I. Artificial Intelligence - Steven Spielberg
        Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - Shusuke Kaneko

2002:
        Minority Report - Steven Spielberg
        Solaris - Steven Soderbergh

2003:
        Code 46 - Michael Winterbottom

2004:
        Dead Leaves - Hiroyuki Imaishi
        Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Michel Gondry
        Night Watch - Timur Bekmambetov

2005:
        Steamboy - Katsuhiro Otomo
        War of the Worlds - Steven Spielberg
        The Wild Blue Yonder - Werner Herzog

2006:
        A Scanner Darkly - Richard Linklater
        Children of Men - Alfonso Cuarón
        Day Watch - Timur Bekmambetov
        The Host - Bong Joon-ho
        Idiocracy - Mike Judge
        Paprika - Satoshi Kon
        V for Vendetta - James McTeigue

2007:
        Big Man Japan - Hitoshi Matsumoto
        The Mist - Frank Darabont
        Sunshine - Danny Boyle
        Timecrimes - Nacho Vigalondo

2008:
        Cloverfield - Matt Reeves

2009:
        District 9 - Neill Blomkamp
        Moon - Duncan Jones

Wiki designated the lot of them SF. If'n you're bored, give 'em a watch!

Okay. Carry on.
        I have watched many of those movies.

The ones that I like best in that batch are:

V for Vendetta
        The Matrix
        The Mist
        Galaxy Quest
        A Scanner Darkly

And, I think Watchmen came out in 2009 too. It's pretty much science-fiction -alternate world/alt-history fiction. I find it to be one of the best movies of that decade.

Comment

• toothaction
          Career Member
          • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by Klosterheim
          ...I think Watchmen came out in 2009 too. It's pretty much science-fiction -alternate world/alt-history fiction. I find it to be one of the best movies of that decade.
          Heh... the prequels I ignore, Watchmen I hate!
          >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I liked Watchmen--both comic and film. I felt the film actually improved some elements of the comic. I regret though, for both the original and the adaptation, how Watchmen influenced more mainstream comics and superhero film.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• acrovader
              Career Member
              • Jan 19, 2011

I liked the prequels, flawed as they are, maybe more so than the Disney movies. Revenge of the Sith is the best of the 3, and Attack of the Clones had some good stuff (and to a lesser degree, The Phantom Menace). Certainly, the prequels were much more visually rich than the rather dull Disney films.
              I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I'm trying to figure out where the hate came from. I've been watching fan reactions from 1999 on YouTube,everyone was gushing over the TPM. Somewhere along the way,came the hate.

Comment

• Brue
                  User without title
                  • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  I'm trying to figure out where the hate came from. I've been watching fan reactions from 1999 on YouTube,everyone was gushing over the TPM. Somewhere along the way,came the hate.
                  I saw it opening night. I thought it was bad opening night. No change here in opinion of the film.

And as I said, I do remember lots of 10 year olds loving it in 1999. People born before 1980 hated it. I suppose by default people born in the 80's had mixed reviews.

I have seen revisionist reviews of other films (Batman Forever cones to mind. After Batman and Robin was so terrible, people lowered opinion of its predecessor.)

I watched the prequels with my 11 year old recently. I went in with the thought that I was too harsh and maybe they are good. I painted a positive picture for my daughter.

They are still horrible.

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

Anther reason to hate them:

Minor, but annoying.

All the Jedi dress like they live in a desert.

Obi-wan dressed like he lived on a desert in Star Wars because he lived in a desert.

For some reason after that Lucas decided that was a Jedi outfit. Moron.

Comment

• darklord1967
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 27, 2008

I'll keep my view on this simple:

I have LOVED the STAR WARS Saga since I was a boy in the 1970's.

I think the films are incredibly well-made, epic, exciting, and magical.

When the Prequels came out, i went to see them as an almost 40 year old man.

I DID NOT go in expecting to be made to feel the same way that I felt as a 10 year old with the OT.

Therefore I enjoyed them thoroughly. Are they flawed? Of course! But then so were the original trilogy films.

The sequel films?... Rogue One? Brilliant all. I am still thoroughly WOWED every time I go to see one of these films... and it is in a way that NO OTHER franchise has done.

I thoroughly appreciate that these characters evolve and change in unexpected ways over the years. It makes them more believable and interesting to me than if they just stayed the same as when they were first introduced in 1977. Its one of the reasons why i love THE LAST JEDI so much.

Virtually EVERY negative criticism hurled against the prequel films (or now the sequel films ) was hurled at one time or the other against the original trilogy.
                      Last edited by darklord1967; Jan 20, '18, 9:59 PM.
                      I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

^ Good post!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by darklord1967
                          I'll keep my view on this simple:

I have LOVED the STAR WARS Saga since I was a boy in the 1970's.

I think the films are incredibly well-made, epic, exciting, and magical.

When the Prequels came out, i went to see them as an almost 40 year old man.

I DID NOT go in expecting to be made to feel the same way that I felt as a 10 year old with the OT.

Therefore I enjoyed them thoroughly. Are they flawed? Of course! But then so were the original trilogy films.

The sequel films?... Rogue One? Brilliant all. I am still thoroughly WOWED every time I go to see one of these films... and it is in a way that NO OTHER franchise has done.

I thoroughly appreciate that these characters evolve and change in unexpected ways over the years. It makes them more believable and interesting to me than if they just stayed the same as when they were first introduced in 1977. Its one of the reasons why i love THE LAST JEDI so much.

Virtually EVERY negative criticism hurled against the prequel films (or now the sequel films ) was hurled at one time or the other against the original trilogy.

Especially against Return of the Jedi. There use to be sooooo much hate against the Ewoks. Now,it's like they are an afterthought.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

well said DarkLord. that pretty much sums up my feelings as well, they were never going to recapture the magic for us because like the characters, "we" had also grown and moved on

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Brue
                              Anther reason to hate them:

Minor, but annoying.

All the Jedi dress like they live in a desert.

Obi-wan dressed like he lived on a desert in Star Wars because he lived in a desert.

For some reason after that Lucas decided that was a Jedi outfit. Moron.
                              Yes! I thought I was alone on this one... nice to hear someone else finds this annoying. Obi-Wan is supposed to be in hiding on Tatooine. Plus, Obi-Wan's outfit is nearly identical to what Owen Lars wears. It clearly is not some sort of Jedi uniform.

Comment

• Brue
                                User without title
                                • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by darklord1967

...Virtually EVERY negative criticism hurled against the prequel films (or now the sequel films ) was hurled at one time or the other against the original trilogy.
                                No.

After Star Wars criticism was non existent by fans. The only criticism was from movie critics who did not understand what had just been unleashed.

Empire had LOTS of criticism on the Vader is Luke's father, but was soon accepted. It had some criticism of Luke and Lei's relationship, but really turned into tongue and cheek jokes. Otherwise it was loved then and overall

ROTJ did suffer from criticism and Ewoks continued to be debated on their merits through today. But to say it held the same level of criticism as the Prequels is a reach at best.

And even IF there was some criticism of the originals, as you say it has not continued. So either they were less criticized at first or at least over time lessen on criticism. Prequels began with broad criticism and even that has grown.

It is nice to try to put the prequels in a better light, but it is simply disingenuous.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎