Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain
    Fighting the good fight!
    • Jun 17, 2001

I've always suspected the Mystery dude was originally meant as an add on for a specific retailer. You know--"buy this playset at Consumers Distributing and get a free astronaut figure".
    If this was the case, the most likely scenario would be he was to be included in one of the POTA sets.
    The deal fell apart, and Mego was stuck with a bunch of these guys, who the quickly added a header card to the poly bag, and sold them through as one of their rack toys.

Again, this is just my own personal theory.
    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ABMAC
      User
      • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by Captain
      I've always suspected the Mystery dude was originally meant as an add on for a specific retailer. You know--"buy this playset at Consumers Distributing and get a free astronaut figure".
      If this was the case, the most likely scenario would be he was to be included in one of the POTA sets.
      The deal fell apart, and Mego was stuck with a bunch of these guys, who the quickly added a header card to the poly bag, and sold them through as one of their rack toys.

Again, this is just my own personal theory.
      There's nothing to tie him to the Apes line except for the blue fabric which wasn't always used for the Astronaut figure. If a retailer had wanted an exclusive Apes Astronaut, wouldn't it have made more sense to put him in a more screen-accurate WHITE uniform? And why a yellow helmet? Only the Blue Angels wear yellow pilots' helmets.

Oh, and these figures were never bagged with header cards.

Comment

• JDeRouen
        Author of Small Things
        • Jun 14, 2001

Maybe you're thinking of Captain Eagle, who was packages similarly and did have a header card.
        --
        Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• AAAAA
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 28, 2005

Or he was issued in the AJ helicopter,bike and parachute Adventure set.

Comment

• Captain
            Fighting the good fight!
            • Jun 17, 2001

Originally posted by ABMAC
            There's nothing to tie him to the Apes line except for the blue fabric which wasn't always used for the Astronaut figure. If a retailer had wanted an exclusive Apes Astronaut, wouldn't it have made more sense to put him in a more screen-accurate WHITE uniform? And why a yellow helmet? Only the Blue Angels wear yellow pilots' helmets.

Oh, and these figures were never bagged with header cards.
            All good points sir. Again, it was just a theory. I do still tend to think it was meant as an "add on" for some retailer exclusive that went sour. As for the colors, well...Mego never was a stickler for detail, let alone dead on accuracy. Still....who knows, maybe they had a bunch of Action Jackson Blue Angels outfits that never saw the light of day, along with a pot full of Bruce Wayne heads sitting around? It was a slow day at the factory.....

I thought these had a header card on them(albeit a generic white card) so they could be hung from a peg? My mistake.

I do find it kind of interesting that this mystery figure, and the infamous 12" Mystery figures were both pilot based.
            "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• megozilla13
              Persistent Member
              • May 10, 2002

Maybe the suit and helmet were originally white and faded to blue and yellow respectively through the years. Isn't an astronaut who pilots a space craft a pilot and a pilot who flies a space craft an astronaut? Lets say you had a friend who was an astronaut, would he get insulted if you introduced him to another group of friends as your friend the pilot? Maybe this happened to Bonavita and he hates pilots now, so he called him an astronaut. Forget it, don't even read this.

mikej
              WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Dave Mc
                Administrator
                • Oct 20, 2002

I think he was meant for a line extention. "Tex Willer in Space" could have been planned but nixed at the last minute.

Comment

• ABMAC
                  User
                  • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by Dave Mc
                  I think he was meant for a line extention. "Tex Willer in Space" could have been planned but nixed at the last minute.
                  Italy did have the blue-eyed Tex Willers, and AJ ads with (non-blue-eyed) Bruce Wayne filling in for AJ, and Bogi figures with yellow Mego helmets. It would be funny if the mystery figure turned out to be an Action Jackson variant.

Comment

• txteach
                    Banned
                    • Jun 17, 2005

Could be Ant. I guess we'll never know for sure.

Comment

• ABMAC
                      User
                      • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by txteach
                      Could be Ant. I guess we'll never know for sure.
                      I was being facetious about the possibility of his being an Italian exclusive, but it's true that we may never know his true origin.

It doesn't hurt to keep the theories coming as long as everyone knows they're just theories.

Comment

• txteach
                        Banned
                        • Jun 17, 2005

I'm curious, where was the warehouse these were found in and how many were there?

Comment

• zorro
                          Resident member
                          • Nov 3, 2007

Sorry to dig this back up, but does anyone want to sell one of these mystery men?
                          Website for rare and exciting figures for the 1950s to present, now featuring MANY Action Figure Protective Clamshell cases -- ZoloWorld.com

Find us on facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/ZoloWorldcom/180282916241

Check out REALM OF THE UNDERWORLD 5 3/4" Retro Action Figure Fantasy Series.
                          http://www.underworldfigures.com

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

He is definitively Larry Hagman from I dream of Geni (sp?).

-actually I only say that because I speculated it before and was shot down

Hey! i can believe it if I want to.

Did we ever give the BP car recognition in the museum?

And the figure posted in the top of this thread smells like a repro to me.

I'd cut both newbie posters in the beginning of this thread some slack though because I DON'T KNOW that it is repro, if the two posters are connected, if they are friendlies or speculators. So- WELCOME my new mego friends!

PS all opinions of who it is in this thread are great

Blue Angels Pilot
                            Action Jackson pilot (maybe canceled b/c Blue Angels)
                            Astronaut
                            Ape prototype pilot
                            Driver
                            Mego using up scraps
                            others all plausible

of course we all know it is...

JR Ewing!
                            Last edited by Brue; Dec 4, '07, 11:44 PM.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                              MeGoing
                              • May 14, 2003

[QUOTE=ABMAC;23239]The name spread because John Bonavita called him the Mystery Astronaut in his book. He was never afraid to make up an answer when the facts weren't known.

QUOTE]
                              I still think that John's work was monumental and it made a major difference to my collecting life.

Comment

• MegoNinja
                                Career Member
                                • Feb 7, 2007

can't the old employee's of Mego just take a look at the damn thing and go "oh that's a failed toy we had" or some thing to that effect. Doesn't any Mego ex-employee recognize it?
                                Last edited by MegoNinja; Dec 6, '07, 8:14 AM. Reason: needed to type more
                                I the Monster Hero

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎