Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwyblejr
    galactic yo-yo
    • Apr 6, 2006

Hope no one minds my digging this up but I've had some thoughts on who he is. First,I don't think he's an astronaut. The blue jumpsuit and colors on his helmet remind me of the Blue Angels. Now,I can't prove anything but maybe this guy was meant to be sold at air shows. This could explain why he was packaged the way he is.

Comment

• txteach
      Banned
      • Jun 17, 2005

I'm certain he was never in a playset. A few cases of this figure were found in the 80's and that is all that is known. Some theorize that he was put together to make a little money for mego in the end. Thus the name "mystery astronaut".

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
        Hope no one minds my digging this up but I've had some thoughts on who he is. First,I don't think he's an astronaut. The blue jumpsuit and colors on his helmet remind me of the Blue Angels. Now,I can't prove anything but maybe this guy was meant to be sold at air shows. This could explain why he was packaged the way he is.
        I share your theory, as do some others. But until there's proof, he'll forever be the "mystery astronaut."

Comment

• ABMAC
          User
          • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by stevemoore
          I share your theory, as do some others. But until there's proof, he'll forever be the "mystery astronaut."
          He's the "mystery pilot" to me. There's nothing to suggest he's an astronaut.

Comment

• The Sentry
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 3, 2007

You know that's the only think I can think of. Really, I'm a newbie and I don't know half of what you guys/gals do here. Hell the only thing I can really claim to be an expert on is Hulk, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Wayne Gretzky, Transformers and M*A*S*H* stuff, and like my grandpa said to me when I was young, "You may be a smartass on somethings in life, but trust in this, there's always someone out there that knows more than you." To the newbie to the forum, welcome, but read, it's the only shurefire way to know what the hell your talking about. If I came on here half-cocked rattling on about info about the most illusive Mego known to collectors as the *clears throat* "The MYSTERY Astronaut" I doubt anyone on here would want me here.

Just my opinion here.

Yes,please do. We would love to know if you've got any thing to prove it,such as paperwork or what not.
            Then if/when that happens I'll totally shut up and eat crow!
            sigpic
            http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
            [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by ABMAC
              He's the "mystery pilot" to me. There's nothing to suggest he's an astronaut.
              Nothing to suggest that? But what about TheCollector07's great knowledge about that? He/she said right here on the boards that "The Mystery Astronaut" is part of an early POTA set... Now, when a newbie comes along making such claims, not even giving any evidence to substantaite their claims, and then never being heard from again, you know it has to be true!

Really though, I think that TheCollector07 and the one that started this thread are probably the same person, or at least tied to one another in some way... They come on here, make sh*t up and think that knowledgable collectors are gonna fall for it and drive the price(s) up on their wares...

Comment

• ABMAC
                User
                • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by apes3978
                Nothing to suggest that? But what about TheCollector07's great knowledge about that? He/she said right here on the boards that "The Mystery Astronaut" is part of an early POTA set... Now, when a newbie comes along making such claims, not even giving any evidence to substantaite their claims, and then never being heard from again, you know it has to be true!

Really though, I think that TheCollector07 and the one that started this thread are probably the same person, or at least tied to one another in some way... They come on here, make sh*t up and think that knowledgable collectors are gonna fall for it and drive the price(s) up on their wares...
                Their IP addresses put them in different areas of the country, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that your suspicions are true. I'm more inclined, however, to believe TheCollector07 just wanted some undeserved attention.

Comment

• mego70
                  • Jul 4, 2007

MEGO 1971 MYSTERY MAN Figure

I think collector07 just made a simple mistake. He or she was a newbie and saw a generic figure in a blue jumpsuit and just made a guess which was wrong. It happens.

Mind you, I suspect whoever collector07 was, they've been scared off now.

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by mego70
                    I think collector07 just made a simple mistake. He or she was a newbie and saw a generic figure in a blue jumpsuit and just made a guess which was wrong. It happens.

Mind you, I suspect whoever collector07 was, they've been scared off now.

That was my initial reaction. I think this person most likely simply mistook the Mystery Astronaut/Pilot for the Astronaut that was part of the POTA line.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

There's nothing to suggest he's an astronaut.
                      I guessing it was just his helmet and jumpsuit's similarity to that of the POTA Astronaut that may have helped give him his name by collectors who first encountered him and didn't know what to call him.

Comment

• ScottA
                        Original Member
                        • Jun 25, 2001

I like the Blue Angels idea. If Mego made the AJ Indy car in green just for PB they certainly could have released a generic pilot at a Blue Angels show. Gotta love a company that still raises questions 25 years after they folded.
                        sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• ABMAC
                          User
                          • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by cjefferys
                          I guessing it was just his helmet and jumpsuit's similarity to that of the POTA Astronaut that may have helped give him his name by collectors who first encountered him and didn't know what to call him.
                          The name spread because John Bonavita called him the Mystery Astronaut in his book. He was never afraid to make up an answer when the facts weren't known.

It's possible that Mego made him as a pilot for AJ's helicopter and the Blue Angels objected because of the similarity of his outfit to their uniforms.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

I guess the only way we may know for sure is if someone is willing to travel to Pensacola and see if they could maybe talk to someone there.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

The name spread because John Bonavita called him the Mystery Astronaut in his book. He was never afraid to make up an answer when the facts weren't known.

It's possible that Mego made him as a pilot for AJ's helicopter and the Blue Angels objected because of the similarity of his outfit to their uniforms.
                              I guess then Bonavita should have referred to him as the "Mystery Man Figure" to play it safe. But in all honesty, I can't blame him for lumping him in as an astronaut Same helmet and similar outfit to the POTA figure afterall. He *could be* an astronaut, could be a pilot.....could be a race car driver for an undiscovered Cub Scouts sponsored AJ car in blue and yellow for all we know.

You've given me the impression over the years that you think JB is full of it. I never bothered to read his book, so I don't feel qualified to disagree. But I can't beat him up too much over this particular issue. Mystery astronaut, pilot, driver, man........I just would like to see the mystery solved

Comment

• batmanmc
                                mego batman collector
                                • Jun 22, 2004

i tend to think he is a pilot of some sort but cant say for sure . it could have just been mego had a lot of material left from another planned line which never got started and used up the material and the bruce wayne heads. who really knows but its fun to speculate. mike

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎