Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Toys That Made US

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    may have never seen the light of day if not for GI Joe
    And GI JOE wouldn't exist without Barbie. Hasbro wanted to copy the success of Barbie with a line of male dolls marketed to boys. Hasbro used the same concept Mattel used for Barbie with an affordable basic doll with a line of fashions (now military outfits) to dress the dolls in.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

I didn't get into the 80s GI Joe line, all growed up in junior high school, you know, but that was a cool episode.

Larry Hama is one cool dude, and I recognized him when they mentioned his appearances on MASH!

Also great was Jim Swearingen in the Star Wars episode. I like humble people.

In your opinion. It was a sad day when the 12 inch joe went away and came back a few years later as a sawed off little runt with a lot of the play value lost. Your little Joe would not even exist if it weren't for the original. I doubt a lot of things after 1964 would have even came about, Captain Action, Johnny West, WGSH... etc may have never seen the light of day if not for GI Joe
    That "little joe" went on to be the greatest and most desirable era of GI Joe toys ever ...PERIOD! Pretty sure this line still would of existed without your 12" Joe the 80's had some of the best lines that will never be recreated

Oh and Sideshow brought out some really nice 1/6 scale Joes...based on the 80's characters
    Last edited by Teemu; Dec 28, '17 at 5:06 PM.

Images
    I think mego deserves its own episode.

and personally I would've liked more 12" joe in that episode...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    And GI JOE wouldn't exist without Barbie. Hasbro wanted to copy the success of Barbie with a line of male dolls marketed to boys. Hasbro used the same concept Mattel used for Barbie with an affordable basic doll with a line of fashions (now military outfits) to dress the dolls in.
    You're right. Barbie-- GI Joe-- Action Jackson/WGSH-- Kenner doing SW...

(that's about when my idea of "play" changed)

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    That "little joe" went on to be the greatest and most desirable era of GI Joe toys ever ...PERIOD! Pretty sure this line still would of existed without your 12" Joe the 80's had some of the best lines that will never be recreated

Oh and Sideshow brought out some really nice 1/6 scale Joes...based on the 80's characters
    Again, in your opinion. It would not have existed maybe as its original SHIELD revamp at Marvel, would have not gotten the toy line that it did. Hasbro probably wouldn't have even existed into the 80s if not for GI Joe in the 60s and 70s.
    Planet Earth is Blue

I watched all four last week and really enjoyed them. I only collect one of the four lines covered (SW, and even that one in a limited fashion) but all were very entertaining, really cool seeing interviews with so many of the folks involved in the lines' creation.

Again, in your opinion. It would not have existed maybe as its original SHIELD revamp at Marvel, would have not gotten the toy line that it did. Hasbro probably wouldn't have even existed into the 80s if not for GI Joe in the 60s and 70s.
    Sure,it Pioneered the way....but still the most successful time period of G.I.Joe...that's a fact! Just because you maybe didn't collect it back then doesn't make it so.....80's toys was a time like no other

Blog Entries
    Jeez, can we stop the preference fight already? Whatever floats your boat ok? Everybody wins.

^LOL. I just finished watching it. What a wonderful history of the brand. Nice collection there, Brian.

These are just sublime. The Barbie one was perhaps most surprising in its anecdotes. I have yet to watch the He-Man one.

Dare I dream we get a Captain Action Episode?
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!